Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

I am learning

I am doing my best to figure this out with out being judgmental but why do SAHM send there kids to school sick I am not talking about the older ones I am talking about the ones in preschool the ones that don't get in trouble for being out. Sorry for not putting that in earlier was not thinking plan and simple

Last edited by tinkerbellandeeyor; 12-06-2012 at 05:57 PM.
tinkerbellandeeyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
HelenePA
I could use a cupcake now
I'm a tetris addict!
I have a secret obsession with turkeys
Yep I am Cat Stupid

Well here you only get 10 days per school year so if my kids are coughing with a cold you can bet they are going to school. You can be fined up to 100$ a day for anything over 10 days with out a dr's note. you also get a nice visit to a judge and a visit from Children and Youth who come to your house for 6 months afterwards... gotta love those silly little laws. Its not that I dont want them at home.. its that the school doesn't want them at home...
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
trip
family trip planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenePA View Post
Well here you only get 10 days per school year so if my kids are coughing with a cold you can bet they are going to school. You can be fined up to 100$ a day for anything over 10 days with out a dr's note. you also get a nice visit to a judge and a visit from Children and Youth who come to your house for 6 months afterwards... gotta love those silly little laws. Its not that I dont want them at home.. its that the school doesn't want them at home...
Nebraska has similar laws. Parents can end up in jail/ kids taken away. Or at least threatened with that.
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
trip
family trip planner

Maybe they are saving "absent" days for a trip to WDW.
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
Tinijocaro
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor
I am doing my best to figure this out with out being judgmental but why do SAHM send there kids to school sick we sent the same kid home sick two days in a row.
We see working moms sending in sick kids probably more at the schools I teach at. When I was a SAHM I loved having one of my four kids all to myself, even if they were sick.
Tinijocaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
ReneeA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor
I am doing my best to figure this out with out being judgmental but why do SAHM send there kids to school sick we sent the same kid home sick two days in a row.
Symptoms of a cold can last upward of 2 weeks - my sister has had a head cold for 10 days and still sounds terrible. Like Helene said, there are major consequences for keeping a kid out of school for too many days of the year. I will say, there are lots of parents that need to get a clue...but just as many doing the best they can. I know I don't keep my kids home unless there is a temperature or vomit involved.
1980 offsite, 1988 offsite, Aug 1998 offsite, Apr 1999 offsite, Aug 2005 (free dining) ASMo, Aug 2006 (free dining) CSR, Aug 2007 CSR, Aug 2008 (free dining) CSR, Aug 2010 (free dining) CBR, Aug 2012 WL, Feb 2014 girl's trip AS Sports
ReneeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Some kids wake up in the morning feeling fine, because they had a good nights rest. Within 2 or 3 hours, the cold starts wearing the child down again. I was a SAHM and I remember arguing with my kids in the morning that they were still sick and had to stay home. I remember my dd had the chicken pox and they were mostly on her belly. She was in kindegarden and I remember her telling me that no one will see them, because they are under her shirt.
OhMari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
kirbydog48
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry, but their!!!!!
kirbydog48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

I understand the pp however I forgot to add that the kids I help out get unlimited absence (sp) but you are right once they reach kindergarten (sp) different story
Old 12-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
mrssmith06
DIS Veteran

School absences are very strict here. They are only allowed 6 unexcused days per year!!! You can and will go to jail or be fined.
If they are running a fever they can not be in school. And they want them fever free for 24 hrs before returning. But if it's mild - just sniffles, coughing, etc... they go to school.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbydog48 View Post
I'm sorry, but their!!!!!
I think you got cut off......lol

I send my kids to school if they are coughing from having a cold but if they have a fever or are throwing up we stay home. I've had colds that have stuck around for 3-4 weeks, not being contagious but coughing. Horrible coughing actually. So, if I kept the kids home until they weren't coughing anymore they might be home for a month and that's too long. If the child in question has/had a fever maybe they didn't have it in the morning, that's happened to my kids before.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #12
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Most of the kids I hear about getting sent home are the working parents. I volunteer at the kids school over the years and I have walked many sick ones to the nurse.

Mine stay home but they also have asthma and allergies, so coughing and sniffling doesnt mean they are sick. Their version of asthma is called cough variant, they dont wheeze they cough when they have a flare up. So when that happens they do their inhaler and go to school. Cant keep them home everyday due to allergies

My older DS was sick all last weekend but by Monday he was fine, but he sound like a frog! People were shocked when they heard him.

Kept younger DS home last Mon, complained of a sore throat, had a little cough, and his neck hurt. Took him to Dr, nothing wrong excpet post nasal drip, and he pulled a muscle in his neck from coughing. Probably should have sent him

Just two weeks ago, we had a mom dropped her child at school late about 9:30. I was checking into the office before going to volunteer at library. Mom had DD ring bell, secretary let her in, Mom never got out of the car. Secretary ran down the hall to check on this girl (we have cameras, the door is not near her desk) Secretary is walking little girl, white as a ghost down the hall, girl screams oh noo! Secretary reached into a classroom and grabbed a trash can, girl yakked, secretary turned her right around to the nurse. Meanwhile mom was driving to work and when called she was not a happy camper I "heard"
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Thank you everyone
Old 12-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #14
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

As an elementary school nurse, I say a hearty "THANK YOU" to all those parents who exercise good sense and keep their sick young'uns at HOME. I am just about going crazy with parents who keep sending their kids to school sick, day after day. I sent one kid home every day Mon, Tues, and Wed. I told her the first day to take the vomiter home and keep him home at least 24 hours(no sooner than Weds.) Sure enough, he shows up Tues morning, vomiting again. Another call home--please kindly keep your little germ vector at home, he's making other kids sick now. Darned if she didn't send that kind in AGAIN the next day. Only this time, he has a fever of 103! I told her he was not to come back under ANY circumstances until next Monday.

Come on, parents. Surely they know that giving a kid a dose of Advil at 6am for their 101 degree fever isn't going to cure him, right? I get an avalanche of kids between 10:30 and 12:00 who's meds have worn off. I even had one vomiting kid tell me she had vomited 3 times the night before. This was a 2nd grader, so we're not talking about HS. When I called her mom, she freely admitted that the girl had been vomiting during the night, but she "thought she would be okay this morning." Um, no. Your daughter is now covered in vomit and God only knows how many other kids she's infected. Thanks a lot, Mom of the Year.

Oh, and the kid from the first class?? Yeah. I found out there are four diagnosed cases of influenza in his class (out of 14 kids) and 2 of them sit at his table.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #15
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkydog View Post
As an elementary school nurse, I say a hearty "THANK YOU" to all those parents who exercise good sense and keep their sick young'uns at HOME. I am just about going crazy with parents who keep sending their kids to school sick, day after day. I sent one kid home every day Mon, Tues, and Wed. I told her the first day to take the vomiter home and keep him home at least 24 hours(no sooner than Weds.) Sure enough, he shows up Tues morning, vomiting again. Another call home--please kindly keep your little germ vector at home, he's making other kids sick now. Darned if she didn't send that kind in AGAIN the next day. Only this time, he has a fever of 103! I told her he was not to come back under ANY circumstances until next Monday.

Come on, parents. Surely they know that giving a kid a dose of Advil at 6am for their 101 degree fever isn't going to cure him, right? I get an avalanche of kids between 10:30 and 12:00 who's meds have worn off. I even had one vomiting kid tell me she had vomited 3 times the night before. This was a 2nd grader, so we're not talking about HS. When I called her mom, she freely admitted that the girl had been vomiting during the night, but she "thought she would be okay this morning." Um, no. Your daughter is now covered in vomit and God only knows how many other kids she's infected. Thanks a lot, Mom of the Year.

Oh, and the kid from the first class?? Yeah. I found out there are four diagnosed cases of influenza in his class (out of 14 kids) and 2 of them sit at his table.
Yes I get it the only reason I take PM stuff when I am ill is so I don't keep DH up all night other then that I take nothing I under stand that the only way to not get others sick is to go to the doctor or wait until you are not sick for 24 hours

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: