DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
vinmar4
Mouseketeer

unbelievable!! Can't afford this! Please help

Hello to all,
I'm starting to beleive that we made a mistake when buying the 320points that we got at AKV. My current yearly dues are almost 1800.00!
they are increasing at the rate of almost 200.00 per year!
We are thinking of possibly selling but would like to know if you guys have any idea if we would loose a lot of money. We just got the loan from Disney about 3 years ago so this is our 3rd year paying the anual dues.
We are a couple in our late 40's and have son who is 16 and our dd 10 out other dd is 28 and lives in TX. We are thinking of either selling all or part of our points since we separated the points into 3 contracts, 110, 110, and 100. Currently the kids like going every year, we ust started going 3 years ago, but we are thinking that it is going to be less and less as we get older and by the time we are done with the loan we are going to be in our mid 50's.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
vinmar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
bakenatj
Mouseketeer

Well seeing how AKV is going for around $65-$75 a point on resale you are going to lose some money on the deal. I guess if you can't afford $1800 a year in maintenance fees the additional cost of going probably are an issue too. I guess if I were you I would sell at least one of your contracts. That would drop your fees by 30% right off the top.

Seeing how you have been able to use it for three years I wouldn't look at it as a loss. The amount you saved on those vacations probably offset the price difference.

1985 DL, 1989 DL, 2001 DL, 2003 WDW, 2004 DL, 2005 WDW, 2006 WDW, 2008 CSR, 2009 AKV-K, 2010 BLT, 2011 OKW, 2012 OKW, 2013 Aulani, 2013 DL, 2013 SSR, 2013 VGF.
bakenatj is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
jockotaco
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Would you ever consider renting points to cover you dues. Given that you can rent points for 10-11 pp you would need to rent about 180 points or so to cover your yearly dues. Although you would need to continue making your loan payments it would allow you to travel on the remaining points. Given the resale price on the resorts you own and the fact I have no clue what you owe it might be tough to get out without needing to make some sort of lump sum payment.
jockotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
joeyrose
Mouseketeer

dvc points...good. dvc loan...bad. could you sell most, keep a small contract and pay off the loan? then fees will be manageable and no loan payment. you need to lose the loan payment.
joeyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Very smart of you to break up your points into 3 contracts. If you do need to sell some off it's much easier. Not sure about AKV resale but the smaller contracts seem to sell for higher. Unfortunately, if you still have a loan it looks like you will lose money on a resale. But at least those dues will go away.

I agree with a previous poster about renting some of your points to try to off-set your dues. If you rent all of your points 1 year, you would probably get enough to nearly pay for 2 years' dues. Alternating travel and renting every other year you may be able to strike a balance. I would keep an account with the rental $ just for the dues or to pay your loan down faster.

Good luck!!
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
LisaS
DIS Veteran

If you sell through a broker you will owe a 10% - 15% commission on the sale. Make sure you factor that in when calculating what you are likely to get from the sale of one or more of your contracts.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
vinmar4
Mouseketeer

thank you guys!
some great ideas to consider!
I called and calculated that if we sell all of them, we would have to pay close to 5600.00 when closing, but then no more monthly payments! . we will concider maybe selling one or two but I we will still have to pay close to 2000 at closing per contract but then we could keep some points and pay a lot less in dues. I'm also thinking of taking advantage of getting the deal for the PAP now then take one vacation next year since we will get the 320 in this month for a total of about 460 pay the dues in Jan and then sell all. We can then then get some money together and buy resale and go back!
my head is starting to hurt
we need to think, think, think
I asked my kids if they really wanted to go back every year and they said maybe
vinmar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
amypetecar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBub
Very smart of you to break up your points into 3 contracts. If you do need to sell some off it's much easier. Not sure about AKV resale but the smaller contracts seem to sell for higher. Unfortunately, if you still have a loan it looks like you will lose money on a resale. But at least those dues will go away.

I agree with a previous poster about renting some of your points to try to off-set your dues. If you rent all of your points 1 year, you would probably get enough to nearly pay for 2 years' dues. Alternating travel and renting every other year you may be able to strike a balance. I would keep an account with the rental $ just for the dues or to pay your loan down faster.

Good luck!!
Great advice! Rent the points netting around $5 per point. That would be $1600 after membership fees.

Just a thought if i read this right, if you could bank and borrow 3 years worth of points, you could net $4800 after you pay membership dues. Take that $5K and make a lump sum payment on your loan. Youd be amazed how much that could save you in interest!
amypetecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
jhryb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakenatj View Post
Well seeing how AKV is going for around $65-$75 a point on resale you are going to lose some money on the deal. I guess if you can't afford $1800 a year in maintenance fees the additional cost of going probably are an issue too. I guess if I were you I would sell at least one of your contracts. That would drop your fees by 30% right off the top.

Seeing how you have been able to use it for three years I wouldn't look at it as a loss. The amount you saved on those vacations probably offset the price difference.
Wow - I guess I have been out of the loop. We purchased AKV points a few years ago and we just added on this summer. We should have looked at re-sell. $65 - $75 is cheap compared to what we paid - UGH! I don't think I will tell my DH this.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #10
disbound09
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhryb View Post
Wow - I guess I have been out of the loop. We purchased AKV points a few years ago and we just added on this summer. We should have looked at re-sell. $65 - $75 is cheap compared to what we paid - UGH! I don't think I will tell my DH this.
Ouch! Well you will know where to look in the future.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #11
CaptDadSparrow
Mouseketeer

Three years ago AKV direct was what 100-$110 per point? I wish I has purchased on our first tour last year. It was $120 per point. We are closing on 135 (discounted on the cruise $7 per point).

I digress...

As of Dec 19Th I think AKV is going to $150 per point.

What I would then assume is the resale and rental value would also be going up per point. If that's true, you may be surprised to see you are not in a bad position to sell or rent with out to much loss at all.

CaptDadSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDadSparrow View Post
Three years ago AKV direct was what 100-$110 per point? I wish I has purchased on our first tour last year. It was $120 per point. We are closing on 135 (discounted on the cruise $7 per point).

I digress...

As of Dec 19Th I think AKV is going to $150 per point.

What I would then assume is the resale and rental value would also be going up per point.
What an incredibly inaccurate assumption!

AKV is selling on the resale market for about 1/2 what you are paying with your "discounted" price.

The price has been dropping since AKV first appeared on resale. In fact, I think AKV has probably fallen faster than any other resort.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #13
CaptDadSparrow
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA
What an incredibly inaccurate assumption!

AKV is selling on the resale market for about 1/2 what you are paying with your "discounted" price.

The price has been dropping since AKV first appeared on resale. In fact, I think AKV has probably fallen faster than any other resort.
What an incredibly nice thing to say. Thanks.

Can you show that the resale price per point has gone down? Prices go up and down for 3 general reasons 1. Scarcity 2. Perceived value 3. Market control (a monopoly or the economy)

If prices on direct are going up yet prices on resales are going down one of these reasons has to be. Is there more people flooding the resale market with akv contracts? Is Disney raising direct prices because of higher demand or to create the illusion of a higher perceived value than the year before?

I could go on, but since you are so confident in your knowledge that you don't mind being a little rude, I'll let you have the floor and the final word to enlighten this fairly new forum poster as to why direct prices going up are lowering resale prices. I don't mind being wrong as much as I do mind arrogance and unnecessary rudeness. After all is it really that INCREDIBLY INACCURATE OF AND ASSUMPTION TO BE CALLED CRAZY? No, crazy assumptions are that the world is 6,000 years old or that cigarettes are not the leading cause of lung cancer.

Again I don't mind being wrong, and I prefer to be educated with good info.

Last edited by CaptDadSparrow; 12-05-2012 at 07:07 PM.
CaptDadSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Jumping in here. Scroll up to the top of this page and click on the banner the says the Timeshare Store. Click on Animal Kingdom Villas and read the resale listings. There are at least 3 other reputable resale agencies with similar listings. Of course a seller can ASK for what they want for a contract but there are so many out there no one will give a high priced one a second look.

Last edited by DizBub; 12-05-2012 at 07:55 PM.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #15
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What an incredibly nice thing to say. Thanks.

Can you show that the resale price per point has gone down? Prices go up and down for 3 general reasons 1. Scarcity 2. Perceived value 3. Market control (a monopoly or the economy)

If prices on direct are going up yet prices on resales are going down one of these reasons has to be. Is there more people flooding the resale market with akv contracts? Is Disney raising direct prices because of higher demand or to create the illusion of a higher perceived value than the year before?

I could go on, but since you are so confident in your knowledge that you don't mind being a little rude, I'll let you have the floor and the final word to enlighten this fairly new forum poster as to why direct prices going up are lowering resale prices. I don't mind being wrong as much as I do mind arrogance and unnecessary rudeness. After all is it really that INCREDIBLY INACCURATE OF AND ASSUMPTION TO BE CALLED CRAZY? No, crazy assumptions are that the world is 6,000 years old or that cigarettes are not the leading cause of lung cancer.

I'm sure Jim didn't mean to be harsh, just honest

OP, Actually it is pretty far off base as I'm sure you're figuring out by now. I see several incorrect assumptions, these include that resale prices track retail and that market forces are broad enough to give a true value on the open market. Regardless, the market is as you see it, maybe a little over half of what you paid. Plus, if all of your contracts were financed, they likely were financed as a unit meaning it's unlikely you could sell one or two without paying off the remaining ones.

Your situation is one of a number of reasons why I try to press those looking to buy to make sure they understand the risks and negatives, to never finance and to not overbuy the number of points they truly need or the higher cost resort. I can't tell you what to do but for most people in this situation I think the first question is whether they can afford DVC (or even Disney) at all. Truthfully if $1800 a year gets one into trouble, the answer is likely no. For most the best decision is likely to sell all, pay the upside down amount and start saving for when they really can afford it so it'll be a blessing and not a curse. Let us know how it works out and what you end up finding out along the way, esp how it works with trying to sell part with a loan in place.

Last edited by Dean; 12-05-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: