Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
Bullseye
Faithful Companion

Does Southwest add more flights??

Does anyone know if the Southwest flights you see available now for May 2013 are the only flights they will have for a given day? Or is it normal for them to add additional flights in the future? The prices are so high right now, I was hoping to hold off until maybe they came down. But I'm concerned if I don't book now, I may not get a flight at all. Anyone know how that works?

Ballad Of Bullseye ~ Bullseye my pony, Bullseye my pride, Bullseye mi amigo, Bullseye I will ride. Across the wide prairie, beneath the blue sky, We'll ride on forever just me and Bullseye...

Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Does anyone know if the Southwest flights you see available now for May 2013 are the only flights they will have for a given day? Or is it normal for them to add additional flights in the future? The prices are so high right now, I was hoping to hold off until maybe they came down. But I'm concerned if I don't book now, I may not get a flight at all. Anyone know how that works?
Very rarely. Southwest's schedule is pretty much set in stone when it comes out.
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Rpsemont
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

It depends on when in May you're flying - the holiday weekend or another time

FWIW, our trip is 12/13-12/21. I waited several months after they opened up the schedule to book. In fact, I booked our Feb dates, before I booked our Dec dates. For our route - BDL - MCO I thought $120 was a bit high. We had some flexibility around our days so as long as there was at least one flight at $120 that I was ok with, I continued to wait.

I finally FIRST purchased 10/17 (for a 12/13 travel date) the flights were $110. I changed on 10/29 to get them for $90, then on 11/19 to get them for $84 and then lastly on 11/20 for $66 (this fare I think was only on sale for a couple hours)
I didn't do as well with my return trip, - which I did with points,but I think I got the comparable of $84.

So if I was you, and was travelling mid may and didn't HAVE to travel on weekends, I would probably wait for now....

But you have to do what works best for you.

The nice thing about SWA is that you can change for no change fees
Feb 2003 - BWV and DOLPHIN;
Oct 2003 - Sher. Safari, Dolphin, BWV
Feb 2004 - BWV, Renaissance@Seaworld, OKW
Nov 2004 1st trip home! BWV,OKW;Feb 05 OKW,POFQ
Rpsemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
Cinderumbrella
Wench

The schedule shouldn't change but the prices will fluctuate. If you are that concerned about a certain day/time, perhaps purchase one way now and then watch it like a hawk. If it comes down, you can get credit and then apply it to the other way.

Also, in my experience, weekend non-stop flights are the ones least likely to move too much, price-wise. We have the best luck flying on Tues, Wed or Thurs. (I am assuming you are flying out of Midway based on your location. This is also our home airport.)

Good Luck!
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Cinderumbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
Bullseye
Faithful Companion

Thanks all, that's what I kind of thought. I like flying Southwest out of Midway to MCO so I just bit the bullet and paid the higher price. I need to be on the first flight on our arrival day because we are picking DD from Disney college that day and need to be there early in the day. Overall it probably cost me about $300 more for airfare this year.

Ballad Of Bullseye ~ Bullseye my pony, Bullseye my pride, Bullseye mi amigo, Bullseye I will ride. Across the wide prairie, beneath the blue sky, We'll ride on forever just me and Bullseye...

Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
Rpsemont
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Still keep checking.

A couple years ago, I was amazed (!) when we were able to grab New Years Day flights home at a good price after they had been very high for awhile.
Feb 2003 - BWV and DOLPHIN;
Oct 2003 - Sher. Safari, Dolphin, BWV
Feb 2004 - BWV, Renaissance@Seaworld, OKW
Nov 2004 1st trip home! BWV,OKW;Feb 05 OKW,POFQ
Rpsemont is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: