Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Happy with AOA?

Anyone have any issues to discuss?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
Jennifer_W
Mouseketeer

Anxiously waiting, too.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 05:56 AM   #3
sunsetbeachgal
DIS Veteran

Me too...we are down to AofA or POP for a summer extended family trip..
Only read one issue mentioned about a long wait for buses...the rest are very positive...

Family Reunion trip at Disney ASMu Nov. 7-13, 2010. It was perfect

March, 2012 Disney getaway at Coronado Springs for the adults only!

October, 2012 went to Disneyland..and I've never seen such crowds anywhere in my life!

June 15-22, 2013. Family trip to WDW at POFQ First WDW Summer trip and it was fantastic!

March, 2014. Universal Studios and cruise on Freedom of the Seas
sunsetbeachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:32 AM   #4
discookiemonsta
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetbeachgal View Post
Me too...we are down to AofA or POP for a summer extended family trip..
Only read one issue mentioned about a long wait for buses...the rest are very positive...
Honestly, since POP and AoA are so close to each other, I'd catch the POP bus back, if there was one available and there was a long wait for the AoA bus.

I've also read some issues about the AC thermostat and it not getting cold enough for some people.

I've also read some issues about the food court being unorganized, crowded etc...

I've also read that the LM section is a LONG walk to the main building, but then again I've read reports that it's not as bad as others report..

Oh, and I have also read that the cell service/internet service can be spotty...

These are all just opinions anyway and for each negative review of each of these things, you can also find a positive review on the same topic...everyone's perception and opinion is different for every thing, regardless whether it's a resort, restaurant, etc...

I love reading any and all reports from AoA....only 9 more days until we check in for our LM room

Me(35) DH(35) DD(10) & DD(7)

discookiemonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #5
dreamcruiser
Mouseketeer

My "issues" were....

LM is waaaay too far from the food court.

There are no trees on the landscape that I remember (we only were there for a less than 24 hour visit) which makes it even hotter in the Florida heat to walk around the resort.

Those bedspreads are so heavy and unwieldy! I've got blankets that are not that heavy~
dreamcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
sunsetbeachgal
DIS Veteran

Discookiemonster..pleas write a trip report!! We would be getting LM rooms...we have two families but please don't suggest family suites as my husband and I need down time and quiet from son, daughter in law and granddaughter!! Youngest in group will be 5, so a walk is do able as no strollers this trip...Yippee!!

Family Reunion trip at Disney ASMu Nov. 7-13, 2010. It was perfect

March, 2012 Disney getaway at Coronado Springs for the adults only!

October, 2012 went to Disneyland..and I've never seen such crowds anywhere in my life!

June 15-22, 2013. Family trip to WDW at POFQ First WDW Summer trip and it was fantastic!

March, 2014. Universal Studios and cruise on Freedom of the Seas
sunsetbeachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
sasquatch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcruiser View Post
There are no trees on the landscape that I remember (we only were there for a less than 24 hour visit) which makes it even hotter in the Florida heat to walk around the resort.
It's my understanding that landscaping is one the of features that differentiates a moderate from a value.

I'm headed to AoA for the first time in two weeks!
Old 12-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I was only there for one night but I had no problems whatsoever with lines for the buses. Best bus karma ever. I didn't think the walk from LM was that long. But I'm a big city public transportation user also.

It is true what they have written here about the thermostats. You cannot set them below 68.

As far as the landscaping...they try to fit it into the theme. Little Mermaid has short bushes that are cleverly cut to look like undersea plants and coral. Nemo has the pool. Cars takes place in the desert - you won't find shade trees there. The only place they would probably plant big trees might be Lion King.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
TriciaSDMom
Mouseketeer

We stayed in a LM room this past October. We didn't think the walk was that bad, but we didn't have little ones with us. The waits for the buses didn't seem that bad either. I think our longest wait was maybe 20 min. We really didn't eat in the food court much. It was busy at meal times, but isn't that expected? The variety of food was good. My only complaint was I wish there was a refillable mug station near the LM pool. After a long day at the parks and the semi-long walk to the room, we really didn't feel like heading back to the food court to fill up our mugs. We tried taking the mug with us to the parks, but hubby got tired of carrying it around with us (we only brought a small bag so it didn't fit). Other than that we really loved it there!
April 2015 - Disneyland!!

Me (36) DH (37) DS (11) DS (7) DS (4)
TriciaSDMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
lynn71092
DIS Veteran

I was there for opening day, loved the resort hated the walk to the food court from the LM section. Will not be staying there again, going back to Pop. However the rooms were awesome!
lynn71092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

I had no issues or at least none that would make me absolutly refuse this resort in the future, but it's not my favorite.

I sleep hot but did not notice that it was overly warm at night. I did notice that it wasn't 'cold' but it was fine for me. (just to give you an idea I sleep with only a sheet for most of the winter and I sleep in shorts and tshirt, I get hot when sleeping and it wakes me up if I"m too warm). However I did notice it never would set below 68 and I don't think it ever got lower than 70

Was in the Ursula Building 7, 3rd floor on the end near the LK section (could see the parking lot from my corner) overlooking the walkway to the LM pool. The walk was nominal. I'm so not in great shape but I made the walk in less than 5 minutes it was easy, and had nice scenery. Heck I had more trouble navigating the Beach Club hallways then this, and it took longer to get to the buses, food or Epcot and it was no further from Ursula to the FC than it was from the back of Music to the FC, okay maybe a little further but both walks were about the same to me. Really a non issue. Don't worry about the walk unless you are seriously immobile or you have no stroller for your toddlers other than that I don't think you'll have a problem. Saw tons of kids walking it without even a whine.

I had no problem connecting to wifi with my ipad. I used my phone all over the resort (at&t iphone 4s). No real noise to speak of and no extreme noise from the neighbors. I could hear the occasional flush, but I hear the occasional flush in lots of hotels and it was not constant or bothersome.

Food Court was moderatly busy on Saturday night, but lines were managable. They did not have any Ganache Mickeys. I found out I do NOT like curry. The Tandori Chicken was okay but I disliked the seeds in the rice, the red sauce on the roasted califlouer and, the spinach, though the little hunks of cheese were not bad. The naan bread was very good. Tried the vegitarian curry at the F&W festival and am now really sure I do not like indian food so it wasn't the food court it was my taste buds that were the problem. Other choices at the food court looked and smelled good, just wish I had stuck with something I knew I might like instead of trying something new so I had a better idea of the offerings.

Did online checkin and it was fine, my room was ready at 8am, and it was very quick with no wait. Staff was all very friendly.

I did not swim but I will say the pool was almost always active and busy and while not decibel squealing loud it was easy to hear everything going on by the time you got to the end of LK section.

Buses were busy. Always full and slow to pick up from the MK (only park I went to while I was at this resort), but it was a Saturday.

I might stay there again if I needed the suites (which I might next trip) or it was the cheaper of two options and I needed to save money, but I'm just not a fan of over the top icons as decorations so it would not be my first choice (I actually prefer ASMu for a value stay as I was there on this trip as well and after two stays there I think it will probably be my value choice) for a standard room stay.

Last edited by bookgirl; 12-04-2012 at 05:33 PM.
bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #12
SarahJN
Mouseketeer

This was our first stay at a value and overall, I thought it was fine. Would we stay here again? Maybe. The suite was a bit smaller than I expected - I had to keep reminding myself that it is a value resort.

I didn't like the fact that there were no towels at the pool. And when you call for more towels in your room, it can take hours for those towels to be delivered.

I am slightly OCD and the real plates and silverware in the food court grossed me out. We would ask for extra plates so that we could split meals and more than once, we were handed a dirty plate. It also seemed like every time I picked up silverware, something would be dirty.

Read my trip reports!

SarahJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #13
DisneyFlower
Earning My Ears

We LOVED this resort. We were there in October for a short trip and it is by far our favorite value resort. Took a stroll over to POP while I was there and was so glad I was staying at AoA - everything's new, there is extreme detail all over the place that I so appreciated, loved the food options at the food court, the pools, atmosphere! One night we went over to the Lion King section for the movie of the night and that was nice, too!
We have stayed at values, moderates, and deluxes. Since we are a family of 6, we've gotten 2 rooms elsewhere in the past and now not sure what we'll do on our next trip - trying to decide between 2 rooms at POFQ (our family sentimental favorite) or AoA again. We really liked it!
I didn't do a trip report on the boards, but I did write it up with lots of pictures on my blog. The link to it is right below you can view it if you want to - for more detailed info about what we experienced at AoA.

http://www.daydreamsandmoonbeams.blo...ppy-place.html
Old 12-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #14
VeronicaB
Mouseketeer

I'm so happy to read some positive reviews of AoA! I think we have decided to stay there on our next trip in September to save a little money and the kids would LOVE the theming! I just hope I can get over the down grade from a mod to a value. I'm just glad I haven't stayed at my "dream" resort yet. LOL I know I couldn't downgrade from a deluxe to a value.

Me (Disney crazed woman) DH (Just along for the ride) DS 6 DD 2
VeronicaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #15
lovingeire
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronicaB
I'm so happy to read some positive reviews of AoA! I think we have decided to stay there on our next trip in September to save a little money and the kids would LOVE the theming! I just hope I can get over the down grade from a mod to a value. I'm just glad I haven't stayed at my "dream" resort yet. LOL I know I couldn't downgrade from a deluxe to a value.
We have always stayed at a mod and did a split stay doing our last night at POR and we really missed AoA. We loved it. Originally we were going to so a deluxe this trip, but my two year old is obsessed with Cars so we switched to AoA. No regrets here! Of course, not having stayed at our dream resort either this was a quick favorite!

DL Native=Too many trips to count!DLP: 1998Tokyo Disney 2000
Disney Magic - 3/2014
DW: 4/1995 - Off Site; 12/2009 - CBR (DH & DS1's 1st trip!); 12/2012 - AoA Cars Suite (DS2's 1st trip!); 5/2013 - Pop AEP; 8/2013 - WL; 1/2015 - CR
lovingeire is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: