Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
Escape Artist
Planning another getaway
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cypress, Texas
Posts: 479

Girl Bitten by Dolphin at Sea World!

Yikes! Did you all see the video of the girl who got bitten by a dolphin at Sea World?

(It was on cnn.com - I don't know if it can be linked here.)

The girl is an 8-year-old who was feeding the dolphins. When she was done, she lifted up the empty paper tray, which she'd been told not to do. The dolphin went after the empty tray and got the girl's hand all the way across the inside of its mouth!

I think the girl was lucky to come out of that with only a few puncture wounds. As a mom, it had to be terrifying for her family to have that happen. As a Sea World fan, I hope they can do something to help prevent this kind of injury in the future without severely changing the dolphin feeding activity.

Just curious if anyone else has seen this video and what are your thoughts?

Sue in Texas
__________________
WDW: Eight trips since 1989; hoping to visit dd in the College Program next spring!
DL: 1988-2008, too many times to count
2nd Disney cruise coming up in November, 2015. Yippee!!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Escape Artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
Escape Artist
Planning another getaway
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cypress, Texas
Posts: 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape Artist View Post

(It was on cnn.com - I don't know if it can be linked here.)

Sue in Texas
Here's a link to the video her mom posted on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXiakfblpFs

Clearly, Sea World knows this can happen, and the mom is right, thank heavens it didn't pull her in! I think that would have been unlikely,though - the wall is pretty high, and the dolphin didn't want the girl or her hand, it only wanted more fish.

Still - a powerful image there!

Sue in Texas
...still taking her kids to Sea World...
__________________
WDW: Eight trips since 1989; hoping to visit dd in the College Program next spring!
DL: 1988-2008, too many times to count
2nd Disney cruise coming up in November, 2015. Yippee!!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Escape Artist is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
mom of2
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 171

The girl didn't follow the rules and got bit. The parents weren't parenting her, and she got bit.

I took my then 3 and 6 year old to feed the dolphins. I made sure they listended to the instructions and then I made them repeat them back to me and I WATCHED them. No problems only a great experience.

One of the parents is quoted as saying they heard them say not to lift the tray but they didn't know why. So because you don't know why you don't make sure your kid follows the rules?
mom of2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
sommergirl25
Mouseketeer
 
sommergirl25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom of2 View Post
The girl didn't follow the rules and got bit. The parents weren't parenting her, and she got bit.

I took my then 3 and 6 year old to feed the dolphins. I made sure they listended to the instructions and then I made them repeat them back to me and I WATCHED them. No problems only a great experience.

One of the parents is quoted as saying they heard them say not to lift the tray but they didn't know why. So because you don't know why you don't make sure your kid follows the rules?
^^ This, exactly. It doesn't matter why they have the rules just that they have them and are supposed to be followed. We have been to Sea World many times and listen to rules. We have always had an amazing time!
sommergirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran
 
Kristibo42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ithaca, ny
Posts: 788

I hate to say this but they told her not to do it. I think people need to start paying attention to instructions. Just remember these are animals.
__________________
ME47 DH48 DD19

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Kristibo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
wiigirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15,974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristibo42 View Post
I hate to say this but they told her not to do it. I think people need to start paying attention to instructions. Just remember these are animals.
Totally agree....
__________________
For the love of Disney...
wiigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
trouttigger
Mouseketeer
 
trouttigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 575 miles from WDW in Georgia
Posts: 150

I do hope this does not turn into banning everyone from doing it just because ONE person DID NOT follow instructions and THEREFORE had an accident.

We'll find out in 12 days.
__________________
Trouttigger

AS Music - Feb. 2000
AS Music - Jan. 2009
Port Orleans Riverside - Dec. 2011
Discovery Cove & SeaWorld - Dec. 2012
Coronado Springs - Dec. 2013
trouttigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
tazlikesrobots
Mouseketeer
 
tazlikesrobots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristibo42 View Post
I hate to say this but they told her not to do it. I think people need to start paying attention to instructions. Just remember these are animals.
Completely agree!
__________________
Holiday Villas (2000 & 2001)
Parc Corniche (2002 & 2007)
ComfortInn Lake Buena vista (2008)
Port Orleans Riverside (2009 & 2010)
Pop Century Resort (2011 & 2012)
Anaheim RV Resort (2013)
tazlikesrobots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #9
reelmom
If I don't get tagged, I am gonna hold my breath until I am blue!
Didn't work. The tag turned blue instead!
 
reelmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Newnan, GA
Posts: 5,613

There goes anybody else getting to feed the dolphins. I guarantee OSHA gets involved and shuts down this experience. People are stupid.
reelmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #10
Escape Artist
Planning another getaway
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cypress, Texas
Posts: 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelmom View Post
There goes anybody else getting to feed the dolphins. I guarantee OSHA gets involved and shuts down this experience. People are stupid.
I certainly hope it doesn't go that far. The child was in the wrong, but she is a child and it's human nature to do the wrong thing sometimes. That said, I hope Sea World doesn't end up paying off this family just to avoid or settle a law suit. They shouldn't have to pay for this - nor should all of us who would end up paying for it thru higher ticket prices.

If they do have to make changes, I hope it's something along the lines of:
- stop using those paper trays. Find some other way of distributing the fish that won't encourage the dolphins to lunge after them, or
- build a little ledge underneath the top of the wall around the dolphin pool. Make it very clear that the trays have to stay under the ledge.

Hopefully the little girl will heal up just fine, life with go on at Sea World as normal, and this won't happen again.

Sue in Texas
__________________
WDW: Eight trips since 1989; hoping to visit dd in the College Program next spring!
DL: 1988-2008, too many times to count
2nd Disney cruise coming up in November, 2015. Yippee!!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Escape Artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
Belle & Ariel
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 1,910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape Artist View Post
I certainly hope it doesn't go that far. The child was in the wrong, but she is a child and it's human nature to do the wrong thing sometimes. That said, I hope Sea World doesn't end up paying off this family just to avoid or settle a law suit. They shouldn't have to pay for this - nor should all of us who would end up paying for it thru higher ticket prices.

If they do have to make changes, I hope it's something along the lines of:
- stop using those paper trays. Find some other way of distributing the fish that won't encourage the dolphins to lunge after them, or
- build a little ledge underneath the top of the wall around the dolphin pool. Make it very clear that the trays have to stay under the ledge.

Hopefully the little girl will heal up just fine, life with go on at Sea World as normal, and this won't happen again.

Sue in Texas
We know someone whose child slammed a door on a ride and broke a finger. Universal gave the family free passes for life with front of the line privileges. This doesn't really "cost" alot and saves expensive litigation and settlement.
The park wasn't really at fault--those doors are closed on thousands each day and this is not a common problem--but kept the peace. Same thing could easily happen with the dolphin situation at SW.
Belle & Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #12
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran
 
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada, Eh!
Posts: 6,079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle & Ariel View Post
We know someone whose child slammed a door on a ride and broke a finger. Universal gave the family free passes for life with front of the line privileges. This doesn't really "cost" alot and saves expensive litigation and settlement.
The park wasn't really at fault--those doors are closed on thousands each day and this is not a common problem--but kept the peace. Same thing could easily happen with the dolphin situation at SW.
What a sad world we live in, though, where the party who is not at fault is compelled to provide restitution to someone who didn't follow the rules (which were clearly stated) and was harmed as a result.

SeaWorld was not in the wrong. The young child made a mistake, and suffered the natural consequences of her error. Life lesson here......or should have been.

I don't think it matters what kind of safety measures or rules are put into place, people will abuse them, circumvent them, or, in this little girl's case, let their excitement take over and simply forget them. Whether intentional or not intentional, why should SW (or any other park) end up compensating for an action they counselled guests NOT do do?
__________________
Gina and her two guys ...conquering awesome Orlando, one offsite attraction at a time!

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818


Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
Belle & Ariel
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 1,910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
What a sad world we live in, though, where the party who is not at fault is compelled to provide restitution to someone who didn't follow the rules (which were clearly stated) and was harmed as a result.

SeaWorld was not in the wrong. The young child made a mistake, and suffered the natural consequences of her error. Life lesson here......or should have been.

I don't think it matters what kind of safety measures or rules are put into place, people will abuse them, circumvent them, or, in this little girl's case, let their excitement take over and simply forget them. Whether intentional or not intentional, why should SW (or any other park) end up compensating for an action they counselled guests NOT do do?
I totally agree with you. Unfortunately we have an extremely litiigious society which has been taught that nothing is ever their fault and they are entitled to something.

There are similar events on cruise critic where someone jumps overboard and the ship should have nets to protect, should not have served alcohol, should have cameras and someone manning 24/7 to catch someone, etc. Never the person who chose suicide's fault but the ship's. Last week someone jumped off a ship and a lawyer site announced the disappearance and gave the number of overboards that were not solved in the last few years, pointing blame on the cruise line. They have now been retained by the family. Makes me sick.
Belle & Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #14
RabFlmom
DIS Veteran
 
RabFlmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Space Coast
Posts: 1,764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
What a sad world we live in, though, where the party who is not at fault is compelled to provide restitution to someone who didn't follow the rules (which were clearly stated) and was harmed as a result.

SeaWorld was not in the wrong. The young child made a mistake, and suffered the natural consequences of her error. Life lesson here......or should have been.

I don't think it matters what kind of safety measures or rules are put into place, people will abuse them, circumvent them, or, in this little girl's case, let their excitement take over and simply forget them. Whether intentional or not intentional, why should SW (or any other park) end up compensating for an action they counselled guests NOT do do?
Yep, it was excitement on the girl's part and I am thinking maybe had the mom or dad been standing next to and watching over the girl to make sure she followed the rules, this would not have happened. We always stood next to each our sons to make sure they didn't lift up the tray or dangle the fish to make the dolphin come out of the water. I would have been there making sure she didn't have to pick up the empty tray to show me she didn't have fish. I would have already known. But then I was a mom who held their hands walking in parking lots which doesn't always happen in this day and age either.
__________________
Rabflmom

Last edited by RabFlmom; 12-05-2012 at 10:16 AM.
RabFlmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #15
trouttigger
Mouseketeer
 
trouttigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 575 miles from WDW in Georgia
Posts: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle & Ariel View Post
We know someone whose child slammed a door on a ride and broke a finger. Universal gave the family free passes for life with front of the line privileges. This doesn't really "cost" alot and saves expensive litigation and settlement.
The park wasn't really at fault--those doors are closed on thousands each day and this is not a common problem--but kept the peace. Same thing could easily happen with the dolphin situation at SW.
I think the Universal response is more than generous.
__________________
Trouttigger

AS Music - Feb. 2000
AS Music - Jan. 2009
Port Orleans Riverside - Dec. 2011
Discovery Cove & SeaWorld - Dec. 2012
Coronado Springs - Dec. 2013
trouttigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.