Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
blossombrd
Mouseketeer

Doing a split stay - which resort first?

We are going to WDW for 8 nights in May. There will be four of us - me (DW 52), DH 53, grandson age 7 and DS 31. We have decided to do a split stay and stay at one of the All-Stars (either Movies or Sports - can't decide!) for 4 days and AKL for 4 days. We can't decide which resort to stay at first. DH and I have been to WDW by ourselves but have never taken a small child. We usually stay at the All Stars or POP because it is economical. Last time we were there (2007) we visited AKL and fell in love with it. We think our grandson will love it there both for the zero entry pool and for the animals.

We have decided to get 2 rooms at the All Star resort and one room at AKL (can only afford 1 standard room at AKL). We plan to get settled in around lunch time the day we arrive and probably head to a park. The last day, we will probably leave about 9 am so won't have much time for the resort, let alone go one last time to a park. As we usually do, we will probably take two days as "rest" days to hang around the resort or go to Downtown Disney.

Which resort should we stay at first? If we were getting only one room at All Stars, it would be a no-brainer - would stay there first. But I'm wondering if we will be more comfortable moving into 2 rooms at the All Stars during the latter 4 days of our stay.

Please help me decide!
blossombrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

would go with value first and deluxe last.

at the value resort you will be spending more time in the parks than in the room.
that is what value resorts are for

when you get to the deluxe you will want to spend some time each day just enjoying and exploring the resort. with AKL there is alot to explore. You will probably want to take part in its night time activities. so when you check in ask for an activity list and see what is planned for each night of your stay.

you can relax even with everyone in one room easier in a deluxe than a value.

value are great for the start - they are exciting and can be noisey - deluxes are almost the opposite.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossombrd View Post
We are going to WDW for 8 nights in May. There will be four of us - me (DW 52), DH 53, grandson age 7 and DS 31. We have decided to do a split stay and stay at one of the All-Stars (either Movies or Sports - can't decide!) for 4 days and AKL for 4 days. We can't decide which resort to stay at first. DH and I have been to WDW by ourselves but have never taken a small child. We usually stay at the All Stars or POP because it is economical. Last time we were there (2007) we visited AKL and fell in love with it. We think our grandson will love it there both for the zero entry pool and for the animals.

We have decided to get 2 rooms at the All Star resort and one room at AKL (can only afford 1 standard room at AKL). We plan to get settled in around lunch time the day we arrive and probably head to a park. The last day, we will probably leave about 9 am so won't have much time for the resort, let alone go one last time to a park. As we usually do, we will probably take two days as "rest" days to hang around the resort or go to Downtown Disney.

Which resort should we stay at first? If we were getting only one room at All Stars, it would be a no-brainer - would stay there first. But I'm wondering if we will be more comfortable moving into 2 rooms at the All Stars during the latter 4 days of our stay.

Please help me decide!
I would do the value resort first, too. Everyone is usually all excited to do everything and see everything as soon as they get to WDW. Usually we find out that after a few days we start to wind down and want to spend more time relaxing, or at least going slower. AKL will be perfect for that. And your grandson may be a lot more interested in watching the animals once he has done his favorite rides.

Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015; YC - April 15 - 21, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

Normally I would say value first, but the decision gets a little more difficult since you will have only one room at AKL and 2 at the value resort. I guess that is why you asked the question!!! I think it depends on how you plan to tour the parks since you will want more time at the parks at AKL and how you think everyone will get along at the beginning vs the end. I think the problem with value first is that everyone will have gotten used to having their own space and then suddenly you will have 3 adults and a child in one room. I am not familiar with AKL. Will your room have a balcony or some sort of space for someone to get "away" from the others if need be? I guess since the resort is so nice they could just leave the room and wander around....

Ok, sorry, I am no help.......I tried! really I did! I thought I had an answer when I started typing!
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus77 View Post
I am not familiar with AKL. Will your room have a balcony or some sort of space for someone to get "away" from the others if need be? I guess since the resort is so nice they could just leave the room and wander around....
the room will have a balcony and will have 2 queen beds vs the double in the value - plus this is a resort with a lot of stuff to do and see.

remember just because you don't have a great view in your room - does not mean you can't go and enjoy the other views - along the savannah there are big windows every few feet - plus on the 2nd floor there is a porch type thing - but big enough for several people - it has chairs might have rockers. no roof on this one.

alone the 3rd floor the one close to the lobby is another porch with rockers - but the views are better in the other one. there is a roof on this one.

from the lobby you can walk out on the savannah - you need to go down some steps (it is really on the 2nd floor) - to get outside to see the different animals. their are guides outside to help you.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
smiths02
DIS Veteran

I would still do AKL second. We did a savanna view room at AKL with me, DH, MIL, and FIL, and DS (turning 3). It was really fine We got along great for 7 nights.

I say value first while you are hitting the parks so you will have 2 bathrooms to get ready. Then relax at AKL
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
bjakmom

DIS Veteran
Tag Fairies DO have a lot of love to go around!

We have done split stays several times and love to end with AKL/AKV. Even in the case of your only one room (we just survived 7 days in a BLT studio with me, DD33,DSinL32,DGrD1 and DGrD9 - and that is one smaaaaallll room - lol. It wasn't planned that way, but once Sandy came through NJ and kicked our butts I just couldn't say no to DD and her fam to get away while they were out of work post-storm).
Anyway, I agree with pp that the first few days everyone is all gung ho and then we slow down the last few days - love slowing down at AKL

bjakmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #8
B-Ride
Getting My Disney Fix

I'll jump on the bandwagon too and say AKL second. As the week goes on you might be a little more worn out and want to spend more time at the resort than early in the week when you are raring to go and wanting to spend as much time as possible in the parks.
Disneyland Grand Californian 2014
B-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT

with a standard view room you might get an upgrade - but if you don't and have the awful parking lot view - don't worry - just get out and look around the resort. It is lovely!!!

Old 12-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
haPevraftr
DIS Veteran

AKL second! There is so much to do there. That is where I would want to spend my days off from the parks. DGS will love the poolslide and the splash pad/pool at Kidani is great. Not to mention all of the cultural activites going on throughout the day. There is a whole list of resort activities happening.

I would do park days on your All Star stay dates then make your day of check in at AKL a resort day at AKL. Then you will have the luxury of deciding for the remaining days of your stay whether you want to do part theme park, part resort day or have another full resort day if that is what DGS would like.

Be sure to check into the price of pool view at AKL. When we were there, it was only $10 more per night than standard view so we did that. I highly recommend pool view with a request to be in the Zebra Trail section. When you walk down the hallway to your room, you walk past windows looking over one of the savannas. We couldn't afford savanna view so this was a nice option.

Have fun!
Visited WDW many times as a child; Engagement trip OKW '01 ; Disneyland '04 and '05; Off-site '06 and '07 ; Pop Century '08 ; POFQ '09 ; ASMo '10 ; CSR '11 ; AKL/SVR '12 ;NYE '12-'13 WBC Easter '13, SLR/CBR ;Thanksgiving '13, VVP; WBC '14, ; WBC/ASSp Spring Break 2015
haPevraftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #11
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

I always say Value first. We went from Pop to Bay Lake this year and it would've been a disappointment to leave Bay Lake for a value.

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #12
disneydreamkate
DIS Veteran

Another vote for the value first. As others have stated, there are so many wonderful places to unwind at AKL. I also would recommend looking into a pool view room for just a little more. You will be nicely centrally located and get a nice nice view and balcony overlooking the pool. Have a wonderful vacation.
01/2011 AKL
10/2011 POFQ 1st F&W Festival!
01/2013 AKL
02/2014 POR & AKL PHM!
12/2014 BC
disneydreamkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #13
meredith1
DIS Veteran

I would do the All Star first and then, AKL....be spoiled on the last part of your vacation.

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
meredith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #14
DisneyFansInNYC
DIS Veteran

Absolutely value first - something to look forward too. You will be fine 4 in a room.

Our 2013 Disney Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLSzd7LSuFc
DisneyFansInNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #15
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Another vote for value first then AKL. No way you'll want to leave AKL for the value.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: