Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 06:00 AM   #1
mjl1969
Mouseketeer

Whats up with Kids menus?

We are trying to decide between BOG and Whispering Canyon for a night of our trip and was looking at the Kids Dinner Menus. Is it me or is something strange here?

First of all, there are only really 4 choices,

Secondly, I really dont see any standard kids staples .. Grilled Cheese, Chik Nugs, Hot Dog, plain pasta wbutter, etc ... instead we are given the choice of Fish of the Day, Multigrain Cheese Dippers, Beef Macaroni, and a Cheeseburger.

I have a 3 & 5 yo .. anyone know of a 3 or 5 year old that would touch "Fish of the Day"? Understand that kids menu is for older kids too, but cmon would it hurt to have a simple kids food option for those picky or young kids? Even a cheeseburger in my mind is not friendly for the youngest of kids.

You think they would make a standard grilled cheese if we asked them?

And for those saying Disney needs to keep it more healthy thats fine to each their own.. just bring back some simple offerings as an addition.

Anyone agree?
mjl1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:23 AM   #2
smiths02
DIS Veteran

My son would eat fish of the day....and he would have eaten it at 3 years old. Of course, he will also eat chicken tenders every meal if he could, but he won't touch pizza...weirdo

Anyhow, I would think anyplace that has cheese and bread would make a grilled cheese or if they have macaroni they could make it plain?
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-01-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
MondaysChild
Mouseketeer

I am with you that my 5 year old would certainly want your choices more than the choices at BOG. And I may be crazy but I am glad for the different menu. We will be there eight days and using the dining plan so the thought of my kid eating chicken, pizza, and grilled cheese for some 14 meals -wow! She would love it!! But for me, I am working hard to get my daughter out of the chicken nugget rut and if disney magic won't help her try something new, well, I am in trouble!

I had great success asking for something not officially on the menu for her on our last trip, so I def think you should ask. The worst they can say is no. I would think they would certainly do the Mac with plain sauce no beef, or butter. Good luck!!
MondaysChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

This has been a hot topic here since the menu was first released. I agree with you, we would have loved to try BOG, it looks amazing. But our kids would not eat there. Well, one would, but the other 2 would not. Maybe when they are older.

2014 CSR-11 days**2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days

wdw4rfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
And for those saying Disney needs to keep it more healthy thats fine to each their own.. just bring back some simple offerings as an addition.

Anyone agree?
I don't agree. There's a ton of restaurants there all serving mac n cheese and chicken nuggets. I think it's about time they have a restaurant serving something healthier. IMO, they need a lot more places serving it.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
GillianP1301
DIS Veteran

I think it's nice to see some variety on the kids menu, but I agree with the OP that having one or two "staple" kids choices (like mac 'n cheese or chicken nuggets) along with the variety is something Disney could very easily do and something that would appeal to all types of eaters, the more adventurous right down to the super picky.
Caribbean Beach Resort - Aug 2012 - First visit with DS4
Disneyland - 2003 - Solo business trip
WDW Offsite - 1997 - 5th Anniversary
WDW Offsite - 1992 - Honeymooon
WDW Offsite - 1986 - First WDW trip
GillianP1301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
Crystal824
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillianP1301 View Post
I think it's nice to see some variety on the kids menu, but I agree with the OP that having one or two "staple" kids choices (like mac 'n cheese or chicken nuggets) along with the variety is something Disney could very easily do and something that would appeal to all types of eaters, the more adventurous right down to the super picky.
I agree with this. It is great to have different offerings than standard kid fare, but each menu should also offer some staple kids choices.
Crystal824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal824 View Post
I agree with this. It is great to have different offerings than standard kid fare, but each menu should also offer some staple kids choices.
Each menu does. The menu that started this has a cheeseburger on the kids menu. Can't get anything much more of a kids staple than that.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
Lita
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec

I don't agree. There's a ton of restaurants there all serving mac n cheese and chicken nuggets. I think it's about time they have a restaurant serving something healthier. IMO, they need a lot more places serving it.
I agree with you. My kids eat real food. I am glad that there are more options than just yhe typical macaroni and cheese and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

DL - numerous times as I grew up in CA
WDW - CBR 97, Poly May 2013
DCL - Dream April 2014
DCL - Fantasy August Eastern Caribbean 2015

Me 40 DH 48, DD7, DD5
Lita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #10
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

I hated the horrible plastic bright yellow mac & cheese from the kids menu when I was nine! Put me off eating mac & cheese in the US because I thought it was always like that :lol:

Nine year old me's favourite meal off the kids menu was probably the peanut butter and jelly sandwich!

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: Feb 2012 TR ~ PTR ~ No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip!

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
I agree with you. No way in hell would I allow my kid 10 days of nothing but fried chicken "parts" and pizza. Switching things up and getting them meatloaf or fish...about damn time!!

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #12
phi2012
Mouseketeer

maybe we have been lucky but both my girls (3.5 and 19months) eat healthily. They always choose the fish or chicken Dish when out at a restaurant and don't overly like nuggets or fastfood items like McDonalds.

But then since they were 6 months old they have eaten the same meals as us nearly every single night. nearly all our meals are home made and the kids even enjoy eating different foods like Chinese, Indian and Mexican (again often homemade so we know that it is healthy).

I welcome Disney having more healthy options for children and I wish that they could transfer this more to their counter service restaurants (I know they have improved them a bit by offering fruit, yoghurts etc).

We, like another pp said will be eating at restaurants like bog and buffets because they give my children the best choice in healthy and unusual food options.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
pascalstongue
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=MondaysChild;46827804]I am with you that my 5 year old would certainly want your choices more than the choices at BOG. And I may be crazy but I am glad for the different menu. We will be there eight days and using the dining plan so the thought of my kid eating chicken, pizza, and grilled cheese for some 14 meals -wow! She would love it!! But for me, I am working hard to get my daughter out of the chicken nugget rut and if disney magic won't help her try something new, well, I am in trouble!"

I totally agree. We are staying for 14 nights on the dining plan and the thought of my kids eating nothing but Mac n Cheese and fried foods for two weeks leaves me cold.
I am so glad that there are a few other choices.

pascalstongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
almburr
DIS Veteran

I'm glad they are adding other options to their kids menus. My kiddos will eat PB&J and mac and cheese sometimes but it is not a staple in their diets. Mine tend to lean towards steaks,crab legs, pastas with shrimp. So when I planned our trips I looked over the menus and chose according to their tastes. DS7 on his birthday trip loved bangers and mash.

Each kid is different. Im just glad WDW doesn't think every kid survives on mac and cheese, and nuggets.
almburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #15
SmileEar2Ear
Mouseketeer

What I don't get is why Disney seems to make the menus "all or nothing". Either the kids menu is only chicken nuggets, hamburgers and Mac and cheese, or it is grilled chicken, fish and steak. Why not a mix of both sets at ALL restaurants? 2 options could be for the "picky" eaters and 2 options could be for the more adventurous eaters. It seems to me there are a lot of people unhappy with kids meals at Disney on both sides of the issue. If they just did a combo of both everyone would be happy.
SmileEar2Ear is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: