Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
engle
DIS Veteran

Please explain tips at Remy/Palo

Okay, so I pay an upcharge to go here. Let's talk just about the food upcharge first....is that the tip too? I know when you close out at the end of the meal you can add an ADDITIONAL tip but is the tip already paid?

Now, if you order drinks at either place, a gratuity is charged. What about the wine pairing? Is there a gratuity on that too??
engle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
M4travels
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by engle View Post
Now, if you order drinks at either place, a gratuity is charged. What about the wine pairing? Is there a gratuity on that too??
yes

33 is my favorite number!
M4travels is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

DCL is their usual "clear as mud" on this. They state that the upcharge includes the gratuity, but on another part of the web state that "many guests choose to add additional gratuity." Not mutually exclusive statements, and both are accurate.

The wine pairing has a 15% automatic gratuity--the same as any other bar item purchased.

At the end of the meal, you will get a folder with a charge ticket inside. It will list your upcharge (or note that the Palo was comped due to platinum status), any bar purchases, and have a line for "additional gratuity" that you can fill in. Then you sign it. Totally easy. Obviously, you can choose to add cash if you wish, but the upcharge and bar items must be charged to the KTTW account.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by engle View Post
Okay, so I pay an upcharge to go here. Let's talk just about the food upcharge first....is that the tip too? I know when you close out at the end of the meal you can add an ADDITIONAL tip but is the tip already paid?
The upcharge does not include any tips and tips are not automatically applied. The server will bring the slip at the end of your meal and you choose how much which is then charged to your KTTW.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyoconnor View Post
The upcharge does not include any tips and tips are not automatically applied. The server will bring the slip at the end of your meal and you choose how much which is then charged to your KTTW.
According to the document book sent to us by DCL, on the page for tips it states that the Palo charge includes the gratuity. This has been the case since day 1.

How much to tip--as you stated, you'll get many opinions. I've read everything from $5 to $50 per person. I usually tip $10 per person above the surcharge. Our servers always seem to remember us and arrange to serve us again, so it must be ok.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyoconnor View Post
That is incorrect. The upcharge definitely does include tips. The question is whether you feel it's enough of a tip or not, or if you want to add to that.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
engle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
That is incorrect. The upcharge definitely does include tips. The question is whether you feel it's enough of a tip or not, or if you want to add to that.

Sayhello
THANKS!! That is what I thought but wanted to be sure. I mean, I usually am a big tipper as is DH but we didn't want to be ridiculous or the complete opposite!!
engle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
asemaria
Mouseketeer

How much should I tip in Palo? I mean 20% of 20 dollars is just 4 dollars pp. What is "normal"? Yes, I know it's up to me, but since we don't really tip in Sweden, I am so confused and I don't want to offend anyone. Thank you
WDW 2012 POFQ
DCL Fantasy Western Carribean april 2012
asemaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by asemaria View Post
How much should I tip in Palo? I mean 20% of 20 dollars is just 4 dollars pp. What is "normal"? Yes, I know it's up to me, but since we don't really tip in Sweden, I am so confused and I don't want to offend anyone. Thank you
When we dine at Palo for dinner, we estimate what a fine dining establishment would charge for a similar meal. Then we figure 20% of that, assuming we are pleased with the service which we always have been.

So we normally leave a tip of around $30 or $40 (for two people).
Old 11-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
Namsupak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by asemaria View Post
We estimate the cost of the meal and then apply a percentage. For example on Land we would estimate Palo to at least be a meal around $100-150 for two people. We estimate Remy to at least be in the $300+ range for two people.

WDW: 1998, March 2002, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, May 2008, Sept 2008, Dec 2009, Sept 2010, Jan 2011, July 2011, Jan 2012, Feb 2012, Aug 2012, Dec 2012
DCL: June 2008, Feb 2009, Dec 2009, Nov 2010, Jan 2011 (MV Dream), WBTA Sept 2011, Dec 2011, NYE Dream 2011-12, Jan 2012, March 2012 MV Fantasy, Dec 2012 Fantasy, May 2013 WBPC, Jan 2014
DLP: Sept 5, 2011
Coming Up: Sept 2014 WBTA
Namsupak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
disneywonderfun
DIS Veteran

I guess I simply disagree about what a real world charge would be for a Palo meal. A couple PPs indicated something around $50 to $100 per person and then base their tip on that amount. I have had meals all around this country and would be sorely disappointed if I were served the caliber of food at Palo and received a bill in the $50-$100 range per person (not including alcohol). Realistically, a Palo meal is something close to a slightly nicer than average chain Italian restaurant. Certainly, it is not even close to a $100 meal and probably should be valued around $30 or so. The draw we have for Palo is simply to have a quiet night out while the kids are playing at the clubs. It is certainly not for the food itself. So, you can decide for yourself what a reasonable tip would be. We generally do the $20 extra for two that someone else also posted. We have eaten at Palo up to 5 times on one cruise, and the staff seem pleased when they see us, so I assume that extra tip is "good". Oh, do not get me wrong, Palo is a step up from the MDRs. It is just not that upscale (or even remotely in the same ballpark at Remy)

DWF
disneywonderfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywonderfun View Post
I guess I simply disagree about what a real world charge would be for a Palo meal. A couple PPs indicated something around $50 to $100 per person and then base their tip on that amount. I have had meals all around this country and would be sorely disappointed if I were served the caliber of food at Palo and received a bill in the $50-$100 range per person (not including alcohol). Realistically, a Palo meal is something close to a slightly nicer than average chain Italian restaurant. Certainly, it is not even close to a $100 meal and probably should be valued around $30 or so. The draw we have for Palo is simply to have a quiet night out while the kids are playing at the clubs. It is certainly not for the food itself. So, you can decide for yourself what a reasonable tip would be. We generally do the $20 extra for two that someone else also posted. We have eaten at Palo up to 5 times on one cruise, and the staff seem pleased when they see us, so I assume that extra tip is "good". Oh, do not get me wrong, Palo is a step up from the MDRs. It is just not that upscale (or even remotely in the same ballpark at Remy)

DWF
I so have to agree with this. I have had WAY better meals for $35. And I've eaten at some very nice restaurants for that $35.

For me, Palo is more about the experience than the food.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #13
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

We usually tip between $30 to $40 for DW & I.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #14
Namsupak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
... Realistically, a Palo meal is something close to a slightly nicer than average chain Italian restaurant. Certainly, it is not even close to a $100 meal and probably should be valued around $30 or so. ...
$30pp? I was thinking more along these lines. Appetizer $10, Entree $30, Dessert $10, equalling around $50pp, soft drinks, teas, and coffees included as well. This would include tax of course as there isn't any extra tax on the ship. Also we tend to order extra things like an extra appetizer, dessert, or entree.

I do agree about Remy it is in a different tier.

We live in a small town so the only italian chain we have here is the Olive Garden and when we eat there it is around $30pp so Palo is definitely a good value for us.

WDW: 1998, March 2002, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, May 2008, Sept 2008, Dec 2009, Sept 2010, Jan 2011, July 2011, Jan 2012, Feb 2012, Aug 2012, Dec 2012
DCL: June 2008, Feb 2009, Dec 2009, Nov 2010, Jan 2011 (MV Dream), WBTA Sept 2011, Dec 2011, NYE Dream 2011-12, Jan 2012, March 2012 MV Fantasy, Dec 2012 Fantasy, May 2013 WBPC, Jan 2014
DLP: Sept 5, 2011
Coming Up: Sept 2014 WBTA
Namsupak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #15
ssnow32539
Earning My Ears

Quote:
We generally do the $20 extra for two that someone else also posted.

DWF
We have eaten at Palo on more than one occassion and $20 for the two of us is what we usually tip as well. We have Remy booked for the first time on our March cruise and I have no idea what we'll tip for that. Maybe $30-$40? I always wondered who picks where servers work. It would definitely pay more to work at Remy's or Palo than in the regular dining rooms. You would think that all the servers would be clamoring to work in the upscale dining areas over other places.
ssnow32539 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: