Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Meech Loves Mickey
Mouseketeer

oops I forgot about Disneyland Park.......

So I have been so busy trying to plan my RSR strategy for DCA, that I completely forgot there is a whole other park to see!!!

What are the rides that are a must see first thing in the morning? (As a WDW vet we don't neccessarily need to ride Dumbo, Tea Party or Winnie the POoh....)

I know that Nemo, HM, IASW and POTC are MUST SEES for us, but what is the one thing we need to get to early in the morning to make sure we are able to ride?

Thanks!

~ May 2014 WDW Bay Lake Tower ~ Feb 2014 Disneyland Resort (Solo Trip!) ~ May 2013 WDW Bay Lake Tower ~ Dec 2012 Disneyland & Disney California Adventure ~ May 2012 WDW Bay Lake Tower ~ Oct 2011 WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge & Dream Cruise ~ May 2011 WDW Swan ~ Dec 2010 WDW Coronado Springs ~ Sept 2009 WDW Port Orleans French Quarter ~ Oct 2008 WDW Hilton at Downtown Disney ~ Nov 2005 Disneyland ~ May 2002 WDW Off Property ~ March 2001 WDW Off Property
Meech Loves Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
coaches24
DIS Veteran

Generally FL is first on most people lists at DL because they dont have FP in the FL rides. PP and the several other FL rides have long lines most of the day unless you get there first thing. A lot of other popular rides either have slow times or FP thus making it easier to ride
Register to remove

Old 11-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
Meech Loves Mickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaches24 View Post
Generally FL is first on most people lists at DL because they dont have FP in the FL rides. PP and the several other FL rides have long lines most of the day unless you get there first thing. A lot of other popular rides either have slow times or FP thus making it easier to ride
I am assuming that FL = Frontierland and PP = Peter Pan?

or does FL =Fantasyland?

Is Nemo very popular? How long is the wait normally?

Also, is there long wait for Mr Toad?

~ May 2014 WDW Bay Lake Tower ~ Feb 2014 Disneyland Resort (Solo Trip!) ~ May 2013 WDW Bay Lake Tower ~ Dec 2012 Disneyland & Disney California Adventure ~ May 2012 WDW Bay Lake Tower ~ Oct 2011 WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge & Dream Cruise ~ May 2011 WDW Swan ~ Dec 2010 WDW Coronado Springs ~ Sept 2009 WDW Port Orleans French Quarter ~ Oct 2008 WDW Hilton at Downtown Disney ~ Nov 2005 Disneyland ~ May 2002 WDW Off Property ~ March 2001 WDW Off Property
Old 11-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
Flynn_Rider
Beware of the Smolder

Dumbo is still a long wait, so is Nemo and Matterhorn. I might hit those as I grab a Star Tours Fast Pass. Storybook Canals is another option due to its low rider capacity and slow load time. If you can hit up Fantadyland early nearly everything else will be easy with Fastpass
Flynn_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."

FL is for Fantasyland.
Nemo is a good first ride. It loads slow, so the wait will be long later on.
Matterhorn is another good one. Don't forget to check out Toontown.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
DaveNinja
Mouseketeer

If you get in right at opening, hit Matterhorn first (if you want to ride as a group, if not save it for later and Single Rider line it) and then Nemo since they're close together and their lines get long pretty quickly. If you hit Nemo first, its kind of a long ride and the line for matterhorn could get long while you're riding. Save pirates, HM and Small World since they usually have pretty short lines up until lunch time on crowded days. If you want to ride the 20 second long Gadgets Go Coaster in toon town, try to do it early on (toon town opens later in the morning still, i think) since its a slow loader and the line gets long. Big Thunder, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain and Star Tours (and Indy if its open) all have fastpasses so they can be spaced out through the day
Old 11-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
Huff
DIS Veteran

My must do's:

Worst Lines, run out of FP's quickly:
Space Mountain (FAR better than WDW's version, smooth, in car sound etc).
Indiana Jones (similar cars to Dino at WDW but far better with IJ theme).

Moderate lines:
Splash Mountain (inline seating instead of side by side, long lines when warm)
Matterhorn (Fun ride but bumpy. Not scary, somewhat slow moving)
Nemo (similar story and effects to Epcots Nemo ride but inside submarine).
Star Tours (Same as WDW version)

Short Lines:
Pooh (Fun but not as good as WDW's)
Mark Twain & Columbia ships
Pirates (FAR better than WDW, walk on but moderate on crowded days)

Since the 2 parks are right next door to each other get hopper passes. This allows you to maximize your days such as seeing Fantasmic or Fireworks on same day you've spent at DCA. 2 minute walk between parks!
2007 POP
2008 POP
2010 POP
2011 POP
2012 POP
2014 POP
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
dmband
DIS Veteran

Marking thread
Old 11-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
Meech Loves Mickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff View Post
My must do's:

Worst Lines, run out of FP's quickly:
Space Mountain (FAR better than WDW's version, smooth, in car sound etc).
Indiana Jones (similar cars to Dino at WDW but far better with IJ theme).

Moderate lines:
Splash Mountain (inline seating instead of side by side, long lines when warm)
Matterhorn (Fun ride but bumpy. Not scary, somewhat slow moving)
Nemo (similar story and effects to Epcots Nemo ride but inside submarine).
Star Tours (Same as WDW version)

Short Lines:
Pooh (Fun but not as good as WDW's)
Mark Twain & Columbia ships
Pirates (FAR better than WDW, walk on but moderate on crowded days)

Since the 2 parks are right next door to each other get hopper passes. This allows you to maximize your days such as seeing Fantasmic or Fireworks on same day you've spent at DCA. 2 minute walk between parks!
This is good to know. I think we will grab FP for Space Mountain either before or after Nemo. I would like to ride Star Tours, but I won't be upset if we don't get to it.

Do HM and POTC both have FP? We would like to ride these multiple times if possible.....

Old 12-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #10
emacat
Polishing up my ears

We also usually hit Nemo first thing in the morning. It's a slow, long line the rest of the day, but if you had over first thing you should be on in minutes.
First WDW trip June 21-28 2013 at Port Orleans Riverside

December 22nd-28th, 2015 Ayres Hotel

Mom Emilie
[
emacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #11
hpfan100
DIS Veteran

I would head to Fantasyland first if you are interested in those rides. Then head over to tomorrowland and grab fastpasses for space or star tours, ride buzz and Nemo if the line is shorter (20 min or less). then you can hit up the rest using fast passes with no problem. Matterhorn can be long but it moves pretty quickly.

Nemo usually clears out late in the evening too. So you might have no wait then plus the subs can be half empty then. My BF and I rode one morning since everyone was at space and we had a sub with only 10 others...plenty of space.

~~Amy~~ Lexi Baby
~~Jeff~~ Mickey Larry
WDW/WWoHP June 2010 WDW POP Sept. 2010 DL Oct. 2010 WWoHP July 2011 DLR 24hours Leap Day 2012 WWOHP and WDW Platinum Trip July 2012 DLR annual passholder Sept. 2013-2014, April 2014-2015 WDW and WWoHP May 2013 WDW anniversary March 2014 WWOHP DA July 2014 DLR/WDW Wedding/Disneymoon Oct. 2014 DLR New Year's 2014/15, US/WDW Feb. 2014

Long Term Goal is to stay at all Disney Hotels...so far I've been to.....
All Star Movies-1, All Star Music-1, Pop-1, Coronado Springs-1, Animal Kingdom Lodge -2, Poly-1, Disneyland Hotel-1, Disney grand Californian-2, Paradise Pier-3
hpfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #12
rmgreenesq
Toadi Acceleratio Semper Absurda

I find it curious to hear this ride referred to as the Nemo ride. As a native of Orange County, California and a person that has been going to Disneyland all of my life, I call that ride the submarine ride. Long before there was a clownfish named Nemo, or a company named Pixar, Disney was stuffing guests into a semi-submurged tube and showing them what life was like under the sea.

BTW the descirption of the ride posted above is spot on. It's slow churn, claustrophobic and the port holes in the side of the submarine are designed for kids and very small adults. Below please find a photo of my daughter (on the left) and two of her friends enjoying the submarine ride.

I'm 6'6" tall and didnt bother to stick my head in the port hole. Some Disney rides exit guests into the gift shop. This one (and the Matterhorn) should exit guests into the chiropractor's office.

Rick
rmgreenesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
interstate70s
DIS Veteran

Here's my take... We do FL first always in the morning. Here's why.

With the exception of PP and Dumbo every ride in the area behind the castle will be walk on and the rides themselves are short. As the morning goes on their lines will build, so if Pinocchio, Alice, Snow White, Toad, Storybook Boats, Casey Jr, and the Carousal, all have built even 10 minute lines each by the time you get over there, you've added maybe 70 minutes of line time, vs maybe a twenty to thirty minute wait on Nemo if you do FL first.

Last edited by interstate70s; 12-03-2012 at 02:03 PM.
interstate70s is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: