Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 12:03 AM   #1
HoustonMom1
Earning My Ears

Worried someone will get sick right before cruise!

Does anyone else get irrationally worried that someone in the family will get sick right before their cruise? Our cruise is a month away, and my anxiety has already set in (fueled by the fact that the flu is going around right now).
HoustonMom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Guess that's why some families choose to buy trip insurance. At least you can get the money back to rebook another time.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-27-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

I don't worry, but I make everyone in the house take extra vitamin c pils starting 2 weeks before a vacation. We all sanitize our hands more often and drink more orange juice. We just make an extra effort to remain healthy.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
Stinkerbe11
DIS Veteran

Yes! It actually happened to us and we almost had to cancel. My son came down with a cough that wouldn't go away and the doctor dismissed it as a virus. Well, the morning we were supposed to drive away, he had deteriorated so much that DH took him to the ER. I didn't go with them because I was at the dentist with DD who was screaming in pain over a toothache!

Seriously, this is a cruiser's nightmare for sure! The ironic thing is that neither of my kids get sick EVER and they both need urgent care the day we are leaving. Thank goodness we had planned to go down a few days early. After both got antibiotics in their system they were good to go and totally fine when we boarded the ship. We never bought travel insurance, but after that experience, I won't take chances again!

I'm sending pixie dust your way that your family will stay healthy and you'll have a great time

Wonder Mexican Riviera(2011), Magic Eastern(2012), Wonder Pacific Coast(2014), Wonder Alaska(2014), Wonder Vancouver Repo(2014)
Stinkerbe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:43 AM   #5
TBMommy
Earning My Ears

I am suddenly concerned about this. We sail on SUNDAY and my daughter was vomiting all night/day this past Sat. She still isn't eating but is otherwise symptom free. So far (knock on wood) no one else has come down with it.

I am so glad we bought insurance.
TBMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #6
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

LOL DH sneezed three dats before we left for our last cruise. I looked him straight in the eyes and said, "You WILL not get sick on me before this cruise. Got it?"

Of course his reply was, "Yes, dear."

I think it's a normal concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMommy
I am suddenly concerned about this. We sail on SUNDAY and my daughter was vomiting all night/day this past Sat. She still isn't eating but is otherwise symptom free. So far (knock on wood) no one else has come down with it.

I am so glad we bought insurance.
I am not sure the time frame, but one of the questions you must answer for each person before boarding the ship is, "Have you vomited in the last -----."

Someone who has seen that form way more than me will chime in.

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:31 AM   #7
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

I always get super paranoid in the weeks before we cruise. Like, to the point that if my SIL makes an offhand remark about one of her kids having a runny nose I quarantine us from family events. And that was all cruising from where we live so we just had to worry about cruise fare, no flights or other expenses.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:10 AM   #8
mouseymommy
I love the smell of Pirates

We haven't been on a cruise yet, but I always have this fear before a trip. I have started getting Emergen-C. I also just read that if you drink grape juice every day it helps keep stomach bugs away. Not sure if it works, but it probably doesn't hurt!
mouseymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #9
4redheads
Earning My Ears

A few days before we left on our cruise, our DS went into a patch of poison ivy. Of course this was just after I told him to stay away. He looked awful. So our doctor gave him the nuclear treatment and wrote us a letter that said he was Not contagious. He looked like he had a communicable disease and I wouldn't have been offended if you kept your kids away from him. Meds worked and he looked better by the time we boarded.
4redheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #10
HollyRN
Earning My Ears

I always fear something will happen before our cruise whether it be someone getting sick or breaking a bone. This is why the insurance is good to buy. But what I fear the worst is what the weather is going to be like for the sail away party. Lol. Nothing worse then a thunderstorm to ruin it. Insurance doesn't buy a sunny day
HollyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

I ALWAYS get insurance if we would be upset if the trip was cancelled. For instance, on our last trip, we insured the flights but not the cruise. We were going to greece anyway to see family and decided to add on a cruise. The extra insurance was about 300$ and our thoughts were that we could still take the trip and go to Greece regardless at another time if we had to. The insurance wasn't worth it to us. Mostly when travelling since having kids, though, we do get insurance. Before we never did. We could have afforded pay for the whole trip again if we had to cancel or we would just not take it. I have never had to cancel a trip before.
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #12
Gdes1
Mouseketeer

We have trip insurance and I made sure it covers cancellation due to illness. Then, I "quarantine" the kids a few days to a week before the cruise. Not possible with school, I know, but mine are not in school yet. We skip playdates, etc. and just stay home.
Gdes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #13
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonMom1
Does anyone else get irrationally worried that someone in the family will get sick right before their cruise? Our cruise is a month away, and my anxiety has already set in (fueled by the fact that the flu is going around right now).
I always have that fear.

The whole family got flu shots this year for that exact reason! Hope it works!!!!

Neither kid will take vitamins.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #14
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90 View Post
I always have that fear.

The whole family got flu shots this year for that exact reason! Hope it works!!!!

Neither kid will take vitamins.
not even the chewables? There are liquid vitamins you can put in juice or something.
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #15
kriswin1
Earning My Ears

my wonderful, just love her, goes above and beyond disney travel agent hooked me up with an insurance carrier that do not charge for kids. our 8 night cruise has insurance for only $100
kriswin1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: