Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
BeachLove
Mouseketeer

Returning an item that was bought with kohls cash

Looking at buying a $150 item, Kohls cash will pay for about half. If this person decides they didn't want this item after all... I've lost out on the bonus money if they return the item. Correct?
BeachLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
ceecee
DIS Veteran

I returned some shoes and got the full price before the Kohls cash. When I asked before returning them someone else said I would have to get a merchandise credit to not loose the cash.
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
4luv2cdisney
DIS Veteran

If they want cash back, they get back only what you paid in real money. If they take a store credit, they will get a $150 store credit. That was my last experience in a similar situation. But that was last year, I now see the poster above me has more recent experience with this. I'd ask when you make the purchase and make sure you get a gift receipt. I wonder if that makes a difference...?
11/2009 - CBR - back again for Thanksgiving! ~ 3/2011 - POP - Spring Break ~ 11/2013 - POR - Thanksgiving - Who's coming with us?!
4luv2cdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
erincon23
Everyone must have gotten a life in the last few days
As you can see, I have gotten sidetracked

The only way they'll be able to retain the value of the Kohl's Cash (and I found this out the hard way) is to go through the store and find something -- anything -- that has the same ORIGINAL value as the item they're returning (the sale price doesn't come into play here, only the original price of the returned item and the original price of the item they choose), and then they can do an "even exchange." So if your $150 item has an original price of $299, they can find one other item with an original value of $299 -- has to be on the head, including the pennies. It's not a good system. If you have any thought that they might not like the item you're giving them, I wouldn't use the Kohl's cash on it.

And I don't think you can do the merchandise credit thing any more -- I asked about that last week when I had this issue and the method I've outlined was the only thing they said they can do now.

me DH DS16 DS20 On our last family trip, 3/09
erincon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erincon23 View Post
The only way they'll be able to retain the value of the Kohl's Cash (and I found this out the hard way) is to go through the store and find something -- anything -- that has the same ORIGINAL value as the item they're returning (the sale price doesn't come into play here, only the original price of the returned item and the original price of the item they choose), and then they can do an "even exchange." So if your $150 item has an original price of $299, they can find one other item with an original value of $299 -- has to be on the head, including the pennies. It's not a good system. If you have any thought that they might not like the item you're giving them, I wouldn't use the Kohl's cash on it.

And I don't think you can do the merchandise credit thing any more -- I asked about that last week when I had this issue and the method I've outlined was the only thing they said they can do now.
This has been the case at our store as well recently. In the past I would ask for a store credit if I had to return something that would impact my Kohls cash but they don't do this anymore.

Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013. Next: 10/2015 WDW/MNSSHP/F&W
DCL (Platinum): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, 4/2014 Fantasy, 9/2014 Dream (Mom and I), & 12/2014 Wonder Next: 6/2015 (Magic-Europe), & 3/2016 Magic/WDW.
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
jls886
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Exactly what I ran into recently as well. I went to return something I had paid for partially with Kohl's cash, expecting to receive a merchandise credit for that amount like before. The CS lady said you should now be REALLY sure you want whatever item you're buying with Kohl's cash because of their changed policy. She did tell me I could try to exchange the item for something of the identical price, but I was in too much of a hurry that day to worry about it. Luckily I was only returning $10 of an over $100 purchase so I didn't lose too much of a % off my item.
jls886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
4GoofyCrew
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Yep. It has to be an EXACT exchange. I had this with Levi jeans for the hubby and different styles were a few dollars more/less and they wouldn't do it. I just wanted to exchange one style number for another (he didn't like the cut). No such luck.

And no, they do not offer merchandise credit anymore.

Use your Kohls cash wisely, otherwise you might as well light a match to it.
01-2012 AS SPORTS Free DDP
Always dreaming about another trip!
4GoofyCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #8
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

I know that many like Kohl's cash.

I can't stand it. Not at all. Returns is why.

If I get Kohl's cash, AND SPEND IT - I literally spend it on greeting cards/wrapping paper. Something that I know I will never need to return.

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
DVCBELLE
Princess at Heart

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Without a receipt you'll receive*:
•A Kohl's Merchandise Credit based on the lowest 13-week sale price
Old 11-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #10
tasha99
DIS Veteran

Wow, this is too bad. I got a bunch of Kohl's cash for my weekend shopping, and have picked out a Chaps quilt to buy with it. I thought if the color was off (never can tell for sure on a computer screen), I could drive into Anchorage to exchange it for something else. I guess if the color doesn't match the bedding I want to use it with, it will get used as an extra household blanket.
tasha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #11
WendyLovesPeter
I wanna go back. I gotta go back to WDW!

this is what my store just started doing.... instead of merchandise credit they will email you a coupon for the kohls cash "lost". This way you don't lose the value. I have seen them do this several times JUST RECENTLY while in line at customer service.
WendyLovesPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clh2
I know that many like Kohl's cash.

I can't stand it. Not at all. Returns is why.

If I get Kohl's cash, AND SPEND IT - I literally spend it on greeting cards/wrapping paper. Something that I know I will never need to return.
Me too. I try to avoid Kohl's cash days. If I get some, either Christmas ornaments, cards, paper, or toys I know I can put in Toys for Tots at a later date.
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #13
Jex
DIS Veteran

In the above scenario they would get back$60, wouldn't they?
Jex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #14
tasha99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jex View Post
In the above scenario they would get back$60, wouldn't they?
I think it would be $50.

First return: $40 back (since they didn't earn the $10 in Kohl's cash anymore, Kohls would deduct it from their $50 payment).

Second return: $10 back since $10 was "just" a coupon.
tasha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:04 AM   #15
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
I think it would be $50.

First return: $40 back (since they didn't earn the $10 in Kohl's cash anymore, Kohls would deduct it from their $50 payment).

Second return: $10 back since $10 was "just" a coupon.
The customer is never out any of their own money. Depending on if they use the Kohls Cash before the return is made, and then if they return the item they purchased with the Kohls Cash, the register will offer a couple of different choices to the customer. At any rate, the customer is never ever out any of their own money. They either keep the Kohls Cash and lose the value of it from the return, or they return everything and get everything they have paid out of pocket back. They are never, under any circumstance, out their own money.

I have a roommate that works at Kohls. She said this is the most misunderstood and apparently confusing thing to customers. However, they never lose any of their own money. You either lose the Kohls Cash or keep it and then lose that amount off of your return. So you would either have $50 and no Kohls Cash, or $40 and Kohls Cash (or the merchandise you purchased with your Kohls Cash).
maxiesmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: