Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
stacyleigh1978
Mouseketeer

What makes the Grand Floridian so "wonderful"?

After reading some pretty unfavorable critiques of CBR, DH and I decided to change our resort (one week before leaving

This is a very special trip for our family and we decided to upgrade to a deluxe resort. We read so many posts on the disboards saying that the GF was "wonderful." Can anyone share with me what makes this resort so "wonderful?" I know it is a beautiful resort, having visited it a couple times before, and we're lucky to be there to see the Gingerbread House and other Christmas decorations. I was just wondering what other positives this resort has for us.

On a side note- I heard that GF has a photopass photographer onsite to take pictures in front of a Christmas tree. Are they there all day?

Thank you!
stacyleigh1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

For me, the GF is "wonderful" because the grounds are beautiful and it's nice walking around the resort taking everything in (however, with that said, I'm not sure how the DVC construction is effecting the resort as we haven't been there since the construction started). The lobby is very hectic during the holidays with everyone coming in to see the gingerbread house, but it also has a very festive feel to it. There is a photographer around taking pictures in front of the tree, but I'm not sure of the schedule. Have a great trip and enjoy the GF.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I've only stayed RPC CL; I did one night at Sugarloaf and disliked being in an outer building.

Things that make it special: the evening band, watching the electrical water pageant from the dock, walking from my room to monorail without going outdoors, watching a lot of wedding parties, being able to walk back to my room after those huge meals at V&A, renting a cabana at the pool, watching Wishes from my balcony, going downstairs for afternoon tea.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.

What makes the GF magical?

I love the ambiance - the jazz band - the Garden View tea room - looking across the lagoon. The grounds are relaxing and quiet - it is nice to take the boat to and from the MK if you want a change from the monorail.

Be aware - the DVC construction is going on - but IMO doesn't make the Grand Floridian any less magical - just know that it will be there.

Have great stay!
Jill * 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR * August 2014 HKDL Disneyland Hotel * December 2014 HKDL Hollywood Hotel * February 2015 DLRP Newport Bay Club *
New Trip Report Hong Kong Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3323118

Last edited by ExpatDisneyLover; 11-26-2012 at 02:05 PM.
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
disneydreamfan14
See Ya Real Soon!

We've never personally stayed at the GF, but after eating there plenty of times, the one thing that immediately comes to my mind is its BREATHTAKING. The effort put into the lobby and grounds are what makes it wonderful.

And you'll love the Gingerbread House. In 2006 we were there and it was up, I still remember how much my family loved it. This year we were a little early and they were building it, we wish we could've the finished product!

The DVC construction doesn't look too bad. The DVC building is right near the monorail track, looked pretty separate from the other resort buildings so sound shouldn't be a problem.
Disney Cruise Line
•2011 - Disney Dream 3-night Bahamas
Disneyland
•2012 - Day Trip
disneydreamfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
bcrook
DIS Veteran

I have never stayed there, and I don't have enough DVC points to try that in the future. But, I love the grand Floridian cafe. Breakfast is awesome, and I love that key lime pie.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

Very pretty this time of year to be sure, we do not stay there because it also feels a bit "stuffy" and "uptight" at times to us.
I am sure to be crucified for saying that..,,
Lol
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
Disney/Universal Fan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipotec View Post
Very pretty this time of year to be sure, we do not stay there because it also feels a bit "stuffy" and "uptight" at times to us.
Lol
Which is exactly why you made the post. I have stated quite a few times that one of the main reasons you post is just to get some sort of reaction. Hopefully, no one takes the bait this time (like I did!) and responds. We have stayed at The Grand Floridian and also stayed at the All-Stars and have always found the staff AND the guests to be very accomodating, no matter the resort.
Disney/Universal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #9
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Absolutely everything.

The decor of the building, the grounds, the staff, the smells, the music, the shops, the restaurants, the view, the comfortable beds, the spa toiletries, and that is during the non holiday season.

During the holidays it is even more magical.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
CaliforniaDreaming
#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Absolutely everything.

The decor of the building, the grounds, the staff, the smells, the music, the shops, the restaurants, the view, the comfortable beds, the spa toiletries, and that is during the non holiday season.

I couldn't have said it better myself! It just feels right to me.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:59 PM   #11
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie
Absolutely everything.

Just being honest?
I enjoy the Poly much more, sorry i will temper my post as to not offend anyone ever....
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #12
Eeyore's Wife
DIS Veteran

While I do enjoy the Grand Floridian, it is not a favorite of mine. I much prefer to stay at The Contemporary. I like being in the same building as the restaurants and have the option of waiting for the Monorail inside. Getting a room inside the main building at the Floridian is so much more expensive than a Tower Theme Park room.

In addition, I adore the walkway from The Contemporary to the Magic Kingdom. When the lines for the Monorail are brutally long, or the whole system is down, I have easy access.

Add in the construction work at GF right now, and it really seals the deal for me.
I enjoy the ambiance at the GF, but can boat or monorail there and enjoy the restaurants or entertainment.

On a Day with torrential sideways rain it is so nice to step out of my tower room and go eat breakfast or purchase a tylenol without having to brave the elements.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #13
Mike&AllisMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Just being honest?
I enjoy the Poly much more, sorry i will temper my post as to not offend anyone ever....
Is there anything specific about the Poly you like more? We have stayed at GF & the Poly is on my list to try. Would love to hear about it!

Wilderness Lodge May 2009
CSR, Grand Floridian May 2011

Wilderness Lodge October 2013
Wilderness Lodge 12/25 - 12/26, Grand Floridian CL 12/26 - 1/5/2015

Mike&AllisMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #14
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Lol
I agree grand Floridian is the most formal of all locations, other than for the cafe, I am not sure i would like staying there. I don't use the spa, and I think theming is more exciting at the other locations. Other places are more laid back.

No need to pile on for this comment.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #15
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

Quote:
Lol
I think it feels a little uptight too. That feeling wasn't helped by a snooty CM that was rude to my sister.

I'm still willing to give it a chance eventually though. The grounds are beautiful.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: