Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
Randi
Don't you dare dangle my meat in a deli!

Are America's children hungry or obese?

This is getting ridiculous the way the government is stepping in. School lunches now have to have smaller portions for everybody. For some kids I'm sure that is their main food for the entire day. What are they supposed to do?

The area I live in had an article in the paper that 70% of the children enrolled in the area schools qualify for a free or reduced price meal. So the head of the lunch program came up with an idea. Since all lunches must include a piece of fruit and quite a few kids were throwing it away, she started a return bin that they could put the fruit in so others could take it if they wanted. Any left over, was collected, washed and made available free for snacks in the afternoon breaks. Sounds like a win-win situation, since snacks have to be paid for as they are not substidised. Well one day after the article appeared, another edict came from the fed gov. This is not allowed as the law states that food cannot be recycled once it has gone on a tray.

So now all the fruit has to be destroyed & kids without the money to pay for a snack can go without. At least they won't become obese...
Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
themilesfamily
Wanna potty with Spongebob Squarepants?

I don't know how to comment on this without violating the DISboard rule about no political discussions.

So I'll just say UGH.
themilesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
low-key
DIS Veteran

Im both
Old 11-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I understand that the city of New York has banned food donations to certain charities since they can't monitor the salt and fat and other levels of the donated food. I'm not trying to be political but this is ridiculous. I guess that it's better for someone to be hungry than to get a bit too much salt.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

RE: Hungry - or - Obese
I just wanted to say that being poor or needy does not mean that one is not obese....

Quite the opposite.

The poor often eat lower quality foods, a much higher percentage of carbs, etc.
High quality fresh and nutritious foods can be very expensive!

And, like everyone else...
OMG, just no-comment about the school lunch programs, etc...
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
nchulka
it was funny when the creepy guys would follow close to them and then pull their chainsaws

At my kids school only the entree starts out on the tray when the child picks it up. Then there is an area with all the sides including several kinds of fruits and veggies. The kids can take whatever they want. That way kids who want several fruits can take them and kids who would just end up chucking the banana don't waste it
Old 11-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
MM27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchulka View Post
At my kids school only the entree starts out on the tray when the child picks it up. Then there is an area with all the sides including several kinds of fruits and veggies. The kids can take whatever they want. That way kids who want several fruits can take them and kids who would just end up chucking the banana don't waste it
That's what my school does too. They keep crates of those presliced apple bags, bags of carrots, bananas, etc. and the kids can go up and get whatever they want. I have quite a few kids that take some to take home with them. It is allowed because they usually have a ton of it left after school and they keep it there for the aftercare kids as well.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing on a star View Post
RE: Hungry - or - Obese
I just wanted to say that being poor or needy does not mean that one is not obese....

Quite the opposite.

The poor often eat lower quality foods, a much higher percentage of carbs, etc.
High quality fresh and nutritious foods can be very expensive!

And, like everyone else...
OMG, just no-comment about the school lunch programs, etc...
Exactly. The subject of wasted food has always been a big issue with me. Instead of places being able to donate whatever they hadn't sold at the end of the day, they have to pitch it?? So wrong. So messed up.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #9
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
I understand that the city of New York has banned food donations to certain charities since they can't monitor the salt and fat and other levels of the donated food. I'm not trying to be political but this is ridiculous. I guess that it's better for someone to be hungry than to get a bit too much salt.
Just FYI, no one has or really can ban donations to charities and that's not what really happened even excepting the charity part.

The City has had a rule about non-packaged food not being allowed to be accepted for donation by City-run homeless shelters, for a whole host of reasons including food safety, unknown ingredients, nutrition, etc. They do accept donation of packaged, labelled food.

Private shelters, charities, churches, etc., can accept whatever they choose.

This has been a rule for a while but it only got press during the aftermath of Sandy, when a lot of people tried to donate stuff and got turned away by the City's Department of Homeless Services, which makes and enforces these rules for City shelters.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:16 AM   #10
leighe
Are we there yet?
I was completely floored

Just curious, Cornflake, but you do realize there are other cities on Earth other than NYC? I was worried maybe you didn't since you always type the City like its the only one.

Meh, I dunno, just an observation...
leighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:29 AM   #11
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighe View Post
Just curious, Cornflake, but you do realize there are other cities on Earth other than NYC? I was worried maybe you didn't since you always type the City like its the only one.

When referring to New York City, I capitalize City, as it's a proper noun (name of a person, place, etc.).

Last edited by cornflake; 11-25-2012 at 01:41 AM.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
scbelleatheart
DIS Veteran

Quote:

scbelleatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #13
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Quote:
I just needed to point out that basically everyone I know within 200 miles of NYC call it "The City". I realize people outside that metro area don't get it, but basically if you live within driving distance, New York City is "The City".

See also: The Valley. A common nickname for The Lehigh Valley (the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton-Phillipsburgh metro area) is "The Valley" with a capital V. We are aware it's not the only valley in the world. It's just a nickname.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #14
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
Just FYI, no one has or really can ban donations to charities and that's not what really happened even excepting the charity part.

The City has had a rule about non-packaged food not being allowed to be accepted for donation by City-run homeless shelters, for a whole host of reasons including food safety, unknown ingredients, nutrition, etc. They do accept donation of packaged, labelled food.

Private shelters, charities, churches, etc., can accept whatever they choose.

This has been a rule for a while but it only got press during the aftermath of Sandy, when a lot of people tried to donate stuff and got turned away by the City's Department of Homeless Services, which makes and enforces these rules for City shelters.
This is the article I was particularly referring to: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/...-the-homeless/

It did seem a bit slanted and from what you're saying now inaccurate too. That's a relief.

As for school lunches, how does making them more healthy help anyone if the kids won't eat them?
Old 11-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #15
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randi View Post
This is getting ridiculous the way the government is stepping in. School lunches now have to have smaller portions for everybody. For some kids I'm sure that is their main food for the entire day. What are they supposed to do?

The area I live in had an article in the paper that 70% of the children enrolled in the area schools qualify for a free or reduced price meal. So the head of the lunch program came up with an idea. Since all lunches must include a piece of fruit and quite a few kids were throwing it away, she started a return bin that they could put the fruit in so others could take it if they wanted. Any left over, was collected, washed and made available free for snacks in the afternoon breaks. Sounds like a win-win situation, since snacks have to be paid for as they are not substidised. Well one day after the article appeared, another edict came from the fed gov. This is not allowed as the law states that food cannot be recycled once it has gone on a tray.

So now all the fruit has to be destroyed & kids without the money to pay for a snack can go without. At least they won't become obese...
As a former lunchroom worker, the staff knew this was in violation of the "laws". So, I take umbrage in the fact that they are riling people up for this.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: