Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
dreamseeker9
Mouseketeer

Some California Grill questions...

My 3 friends and I are dining at the California Grill next week (yay!). None of us have dined there before. Our reservation is for 9:30 PM, the same time as Holiday Wishes. What time should we arrive? I'm sure we will want to get a drink and then watch Wishes.

Since the restaurant closes at 10:00 PM, will they rush us to finish dinner after Wishes? I'm guessing that we will probably watch Wishes before we even order dinner. How long is Wishes?

Also, what's the general dress code? I'm trying to figure out if we will be coming from another park, or if we will need to go back to our resort (AoA) to change into nicer clothes before dinner.

Thanks! So excited - we arrive on Saturday!

My Disney Trip Reports:
A Big Blue World at AOA with the Fab Four - Nov. 2012 - AOA Finding Nemo suite
3 Weeks to plan a solo trip! - Nov. 2014 PTR
dreamseeker9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
tx2tn
"What fortuitous circumstance be this"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseeker9 View Post
My 3 friends and I are dining at the California Grill next week (yay!). None of us have dined there before. Our reservation is for 9:30 PM, the same time as Holiday Wishes. What time should we arrive? I'm sure we will want to get a drink and then watch Wishes.

Since the restaurant closes at 10:00 PM, will they rush us to finish dinner after Wishes? I'm guessing that we will probably watch Wishes before we even order dinner. How long is Wishes?

Also, what's the general dress code? I'm trying to figure out if we will be coming from another park, or if we will need to go back to our resort (AoA) to change into nicer clothes before dinner.

We LOVE California Grill. We always eat there on our first night at WDW.

I would arrive at least 45 minutes early and let the Reservations clerk know that you would like to watch Wishes. They may have a table available or at the very least you can watch Wishes from the viewing area.

They will not rush you out. Take your time and enjoy your time there.

We normally wear business casual but we have seen everything from black tie to shorts. I think most people prefer to dress up a little. Wear what you are most comfortable wearing.

Have a great time!

Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
dreamseeker9
Mouseketeer

tx2tn, thanks so much! That helps greatly.

My Disney Trip Reports:
Old 11-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

30 to 45 minutes ahead of time would be just fine.

Here's the dress code:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/din...ifornia-grill/

Just concentrate mostly on what is expressly not permitted--
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
one2admire
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We went straight from the park to our ADR wearing jeans and a Polo shirt and we fit in just fine. Some wore sport coats and others wore sweats and flip flops. As PP said, focus on the no-nos.

OUR ADR was late, though not as late as yours, and we didn't feel rushed. We did have to track our server down a few times after Hallowishes to order dessert and for our check. It seemed liked the whole restaurant slowed down after the fireworks. Not good, by then we were ready to go.
one2admire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
OhThePain
DIS Veteran

Don't worry about being rushed out the door. The restaurant doesn't close by 10, they just don't book any more reservations after 10, that is all that means. Since my fiancee and I don't have kids, we typically try to get ADRs for restaurants at MK resorts for AFTER Wishes, usually we try to get the last ADR of the night. We have never had bad service or have ever been/felt rushed. We have even had some great conversations with chefs and other staff after our meal, not to mention that the restaurants tend to be real empty and quiet by the time our entrees come, which is real nice after a long day in the parks. As long as we are free to take late ADRs, we will.

You will most likely be able to watch Wishes from the viewing area at CG. However, depending on how crowded the restaurant is you may not be allowed up. When it comes to hard ticket events and the fireworks involved, people tend to linger around the restaurant a little longer so they can watch. In most cases it is not a problem getting up there, but just be warned there is always that chance.

1988- Contemporary Resort / 1990- Big Red Boat and Buena Vista Palace / 1993- CBR / 1997- ASMusic / 1998- CBR / 1998- ASSports / 2008/9- POR / 2009- Convention at Gaylord Palms / 2010- POR / 2011- AKL-CL (with 3 "bonus" nights AKL non-CL) / 2013-BWV / 2014- POR / 2014- Disney Fantasy (Western)
OhThePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:

They usually recommend you get to any ADR about 15 minutes before your scheduled time, but if you're hoping to see Wishes from the balcony and get drinks, I'd go with Uncleromulus suggestion of 30 to 45 minutes early. They should let you check in and go upstairs.

As others have said, they won't rush you. I've had late reservation at other Signatures in the past and have never felt rushed. Things at CA Grill really seem to calm/quiet down after Wishes because most folks time their meal to coincide with the fireworks and then leave afterwards.

As others have said, you'll see a full range of clothing at any of the Sigs (except V&A) ranging from t-shirts and shorts to full suits and dresses. It's a matter of what you're comfortable with. In my experiences, later in the evening the dress seems to be more formal (in that more folks seem to be wearing pants and polos opposed to t-shirts and shorts). I usually wear long pants and a polo to the Sigs. If I don't have time to go back to the hotel to change, I'll bring the clothes with me, store them in a locker during the day and then change in the bathroom before heading to dinner.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
dreamseeker9
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the great info and advice! I'm glad we won't be rushed, and it will be a great way to spend our last night in WDW. I will want to change into nicer clothes, so we will make that happen. And we will be sure to arrive around 45 minutes before our reservation. I can't wait! 2 more days til we go to WDW!

My Disney Trip Reports:

Tags
california grill, holiday wishes

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: