Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
MELSMICE
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, to Disney World we'll go. It'll be such fun for everyone, Hi Ho, Hi Ho!
Don't look now but the Tag Fairy is behind you!!!

Cooking a turkey in an electric roaster

I have to make 2 turkeys this year so one will be done in an electric turkey roaster, which I've never done.

I always use a turkey bag. Can I use a bag with a roaster? There are no instructions with the roaster, as I borrowed it from someone. If I don't use a turkey bag, how would I cook it in the roaster? It's about 11-12 lbs.

DH & I DD24 DD21 DD21
MELSMICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
yoopermom
Suffers from too many teenage Stephen King influences

Like a Nesco roaster? I have them in four sizes and use them all the time. The website is a godsend, here's the link...
http://www.nesco.com/recipes/?season...=recipe&uid=21

and copy/pasted:

"How to Roast Turkey
One 14 to 22 pound turkey, fresh or frozen
Poultry seasoning
Salt
Pepper
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 teaspoon browning sauce such as Kitchen Bouquet®(optional)

Preheat 18 quart Nesco® Roaster Oven to 400º F. If you have a 12 quart Nesco®, a maximum 14 pound turkey is recommended. Cooking times (per pound) remain the same.

Clean and rinse turkey. Pat dry. Remove neck and giblets. If desired, prepare separately. Place turkey on rack. Use a pastry brush to spread mixture of butter and browning sauce evenly over turkey skin. Season with poultry seasoning, salt and pepper.

Determine length of roasting time, normally 15 to 20 minutes per pound. A stuffed turkey will add 30 to 45 minutes to total roasting time.

Stuff cavity, if desired. Cover. Roast one hour at 400º F. With baster, remove any liquid and fat from cavity of bird and cookwell. Set aside to make gravy. Brush bird with basting liquid or butter mixture.

Reduce temperature to 350º F. Roast for remainder of cooking time. Use baster, to remove any liquid from cavity of bird and from cookwell when cooking time is about half-way through. If dry, baste turkey with basting liquids.

If turkey isn't as brown as you like it, increase temperature to 400º F. Roast remaining portion of time.

Use lift handles to remove turkey. Be careful - rack will be hot. Set turkey on a platter or cutting board. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

If turkey is done early, reduce temperature to 200º F. until serving time."

I've cooked all sorts of meats in my nesco, have never used a bag (I would be afraid of it melting up against the sides), and it always turns out fine.

Good luck!

Terri
yoopermom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

I have always used a bag and never had a problem. I have even had them stick to the lid, but it always just peels right off.

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
minniecarousel
Chris Isaak fan
I'll take my earthquakes over tornadoes & hurricanes any day!
What's up with ruining corn by "creaming" it?

I'm using an electric roaster for the first time. I looked on the Reynold's Cooking Bag site, and they say NOT to use a cooking bag in a roaster.

I'll be cooking one on Wednesday, so I'l know how long to cook the second one on Thursday. We eat early, at one o'clock.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
MELSMICE
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, to Disney World we'll go. It'll be such fun for everyone, Hi Ho, Hi Ho!
Don't look now but the Tag Fairy is behind you!!!

Thanks everyone!

DH & I DD24 DD21 DD21
MELSMICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
wowsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopermom View Post
Like a Nesco roaster? I have them in four sizes and use them all the time. The website is a godsend, here's the link...
http://www.nesco.com/recipes/?season...=recipe&uid=21

and copy/pasted:

"How to Roast Turkey
One 14 to 22 pound turkey, fresh or frozen
Poultry seasoning
Salt
Pepper
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 teaspoon browning sauce such as Kitchen Bouquet®(optional)

Preheat 18 quart Nesco® Roaster Oven to 400º F. If you have a 12 quart Nesco®, a maximum 14 pound turkey is recommended. Cooking times (per pound) remain the same.

Clean and rinse turkey. Pat dry. Remove neck and giblets. If desired, prepare separately. Place turkey on rack. Use a pastry brush to spread mixture of butter and browning sauce evenly over turkey skin. Season with poultry seasoning, salt and pepper.

Determine length of roasting time, normally 15 to 20 minutes per pound. A stuffed turkey will add 30 to 45 minutes to total roasting time.

Stuff cavity, if desired. Cover. Roast one hour at 400º F. With baster, remove any liquid and fat from cavity of bird and cookwell. Set aside to make gravy. Brush bird with basting liquid or butter mixture.

Reduce temperature to 350º F. Roast for remainder of cooking time. Use baster, to remove any liquid from cavity of bird and from cookwell when cooking time is about half-way through. If dry, baste turkey with basting liquids.

If turkey isn't as brown as you like it, increase temperature to 400º F. Roast remaining portion of time.

Use lift handles to remove turkey. Be careful - rack will be hot. Set turkey on a platter or cutting board. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

If turkey is done early, reduce temperature to 200º F. until serving time."

I've cooked all sorts of meats in my nesco, have never used a bag (I would be afraid of it melting up against the sides), and it always turns out fine.

Good luck!

Terri
Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooo much for posting this. We bought a roaster last year and our turkey came out great, except the pale skin.

When I saw this the other day, I thought "I'll have to try the butter/browning sauce". So when I put the turkey in the roaster an hour ago, I brushed the butter/browning sauce mixture over all the skin. Just checked it (to remove the drippings, as recommended) and it's a beautiful golden brown.
wowsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
minniecarousel
Chris Isaak fan
I'll take my earthquakes over tornadoes & hurricanes any day!
What's up with ruining corn by "creaming" it?

I took the plunge and used the cooking bag in the roaster and the 20 lb turkey was done in 3 - 3 1/2 hours. (Next time I'll add the browning sauce in an attempt to brown in up a little. It came out pretty pale.)

Tasty and moist. This is the way we'll go from now on.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
crz4mm2
Most of the time I just sit and scratch my head...

Yes you can use a bag in a roaster. I have used a roaster for YEARS.

crz4mm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #9
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I was just asking my aunt the same thing! I recently moved. My old stove had 2 ovens, a regular size one on the bottom and a smaller one on top. So the turkey would be in the bottom and I could make my other stuff in the top. My new stove is just a regular size oven. So I bought a roaster for the turkey, leaving the oven open for everything else. I was just looking on the bag box, it says not to use with countertop electric roaster ovens. Do you put the turkey straight onto the roaster rack or do you use a foil pan or just put foil on the rack?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

I use a foil pan.

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #11
crz4mm2
Most of the time I just sit and scratch my head...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
I was just asking my aunt the same thing! I recently moved. My old stove had 2 ovens, a regular size one on the bottom and a smaller one on top. So the turkey would be in the bottom and I could make my other stuff in the top. My new stove is just a regular size oven. So I bought a roaster for the turkey, leaving the oven open for everything else. I was just looking on the bag box, it says not to use with countertop electric roaster ovens. Do you put the turkey straight onto the roaster rack or do you use a foil pan or just put foil on the rack?
I put mine in breast side down. I don't use any foil. just put it in.

crz4mm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:08 AM   #12
Mermaid02
BL II - Blue Team
Cocoa Krispies all the way!
My son's hermit crab is a zombie....
I'm leaving this snake lover infested thread

Love my Nesco! Does a great job on the turkey!

~Be your own inspiration~
Mermaid02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #13
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid02 View Post
Love my Nesco! Does a great job on the turkey!
Do you just put it on the rack?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: