Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
CorEeyore
Mouseketeer

What's the deal with the DVC cruises?

Hello everyone!

So these "DVC member cruises".....whats the deal?
Do DVC members get a discount? Do they have to pay with their points? Do they do anything special for them?!

Thanks!

CorEeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorEeyore View Post
Hello everyone!

So these "DVC member cruises".....whats the deal?
Do DVC members get a discount? Do they have to pay with their points? Do they do anything special for them?!

Thanks!
Definitely not a discount. They cost nearly twice as much! You can use points or cash.
They do have many special things for members and their families. Special gifts, guest speakers, two stops at CC on a 4 night. Not enough to get me on-board for the price they are charging though.
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
CorEeyore
Mouseketeer

Well that just seems silly to me. I'm a member and I see no reason why I would spend twice as much for it. What on earth are they paying for? I love Castaway Cay but geez...

Better be some pretty amazing guest speakers.

CorEeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorEeyore View Post
Well that just seems silly to me. I'm a member and I see no reason why I would spend twice as much for it. What on earth are they paying for? I love Castaway Cay but geez...

Better be some pretty amazing guest speakers.
I think for most members, these are the only cruises they ever go on. The points charts are on the members website if you want to take a look. I saw the price is the same per person as my husband and I are paying total for the same thing two weeks later and I closed the window!!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
capshockeygrl
Mouseketeer

I haven't been on one yet, but my father has, and from what I understand, there are usually Disney personalities on board ranging from animators to stars of the TV shows. Additionally, they give a number of special gifts to members on the cruise.

capshockeygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #6
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

We go on one about every 4-5 years. It is more expensive, however, all stateroom and main dining room gratuities are included in the cost, so when you consider that it is not quite so bad. The guest speakers are nice. They also sometimes do a special show in the main theater. The last time we went in 2008, they had four leading ladies from four of the Disney Broadway shows come on board and perform, that was pretty special. They also give more swag than you can possibly imagine. Every time you leave your room, when you come back there are more gifts laid out on your bed. We weren't expecting this the first time and had to buy a huge dufflebag in the store just to get it all home. If you are looking to buy more points for DVC, this is also a good time to do it as they usually roll out new and additional incentives on the member cruises. The atmosphere is more that of a chartered cruise, where you know all of the other guests have something in common, and many times you meet up with other DVC members, friends from the past.

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib

I think for most members, these are the only cruises they ever go on. The points charts are on the members website if you want to take a look. I saw the price is the same per person as my husband and I are paying total for the same thing two weeks later and I closed the window!!
Lol! I was actually booked on the 29th cruise before it was a member cruise. So now its been cancelled and there is no way me and DW are paying twice now what we were going to pay even though we are DVC members. DCL could not understand why we did not want to do it. Was so annoying had already booked flights etc from the UK!
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #8
aymekae
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
I don't think these cruises cover "most members". On our first cruise last December, I swear every other person we met on board were members. At our table, in the hot tub, walking down the hall, sitting next to in Bingo, we were chatted up by member after member after member and nary a bad word was said about it. Not to mention the many many staterooms we passed with member magnets. Hence why we became members that cruise, too!

We've only been on one cruise, have one more planned, but I'm still working on my DH agreeing to go once in awhile, not to mention spending a lot more for a members-only cruise. We'll be passing those up for a long time, I think.

Ben (32) Ayme (28) Ian (10 mo)

DLR Trips - Last: Sep. 2013 Next: Jan. 2014
Honeymoon to WDW (Wilderness Lodge) Sep. 11, 2008
Western Caribbean Cruise (Magic) Dec. 10, 2011
Aulani Nov. 3-12, 2012
Eastern Caribbean Cruise (Fantasy) Dec. 14, 2013
Disneyland Jan. 16-18, 2014 (Neverland 5K)
aymekae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

For us the gifts and speakers would have to be out of this world for that price and not knowing in advance I feel I wouldnt want to commit. Plus they want all money upfront. Rather buy my own bag and choose a broadway musical where I actually know the cast....

I dont know anything else where you are expected to pay without knowing the details! I have heard they are amazing but you have to prioritise your budget as a family. I like the normal cruise anyway I think its great. Did the 3 night on the dream in october had a great time.
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aymekae

I don't think these cruises cover "most members". On our first cruise last December, I swear every other person we met on board were members. At our table, in the hot tub, walking down the hall, sitting next to in Bingo, we were chatted up by member after member after member and nary a bad word was said about it. Not to mention the many many staterooms we passed with member magnets. Hence why we became members that cruise, too!

We've only been on one cruise, have one more planned, but I'm still working on my DH agreeing to go once in awhile, not to mention spending a lot more for a members-only cruise. We'll be passing those up for a long time, I think.
Yeah, I think I should have said most who go on the members cruises. I'm really interested to see how fast this one sells out. I wonder if there is still room on the January members cruise.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #11
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
Yeah, I think I should have said most who go on the members cruises. I'm really interested to see how fast this one sells out. I wonder if there is still room on the January members cruise.
I believe the January 2013 Member Cruise still has some rooms open.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #12
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Quote:
Originally Posted by erionm View Post
I believe the January 2013 Member Cruise still has some rooms open.
On the Meets thread for this one, someone said the cruise roster was closed. They weren't allowed to book, this was about 2 weeks ago.

I've been on the one in 2005, and it was great! Because of work schedules I haven't been able to go on another one until the one in January. DH is still working, but I'm doing it with DSis and DCuz. It's more expensive, but the experience was worth it for me.

Among the gifts were prints of Mickey and Minnie on CC with the Wonder in the background. Every time I see the print, I smile.

Bobbi

bobbiwoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #13
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
On the Meets thread for this one, someone said the cruise roster was closed. They weren't allowed to book, this was about 2 weeks ago.
If that's the case, maybe it's time for DVC to pull the Sept 2012/Jan 2013 Cruise Details page from the member website. We've done the 2009 & 2011 Member Cruises. Enjoy your cruise.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #14
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

Based on the rate chart that came out last week for the October 2013 member cruise, the rate for a comparable cruise a week later is about $500 less, and the DVC member rate includes gratuities, so its not that different plus you get stuff. We haven't ever done one, we're booked for the January 2013 Member cruise, but are seriously considering the Sept. one.
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

Last edited by scrapbookmomma74; 11-19-2012 at 04:45 PM.
scrapbookmomma74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #15
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbookmomma74 View Post
Based on the rate chart that came out last week for the October 2013 member cruise, the rate for a comparable cruise a week later is only about $84 less, and the DVC member rate includes gratuities, so you would actually save money. We haven't ever done one, we're booked for the January 2013 Member cruise, but are seriously considering the Sept. one.
Where are you seeing this? Looking at a the September 29th members cruise vs the Oct 6, 2013 4 night, the members cruise is $2002 for two adults in an 11C and the Oct 6 is $1437 for two adults.
I have a dummy cruise booked in a 5D on Oct 13, 2013. My total (with 10% off) is $1,565. On the members cruise it would be $2,856!!
Gratuities are only $48 a person on a four night.

ETA: are you maybe looking at the January 3 night prices? They are on the same chart.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: