Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
MICKFan
MICKFan

How Are The Crowds?

Looking at a possible trip January 13 - January 19. How are the crowds at this time? Looked at allears and historic attendance is low all Janauary. Any replies are greatly appreciated
MICKFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
twoplustwins
DIS Veteran

We were there that week this past January for my daughter's soccer tournament. I have to say that it was WAY busier (1-2+ hours wait for most rides, 2-3+ hours for EE, ToT, TSM, PP, SM) than we thought it would be. Fastpasses were gone soon after opening. In the evenings, it was madness trying to attend Illuminations and Wishes. Evidently, we were also there with several different high school and college sport teams. We asked a CM and she said that just the college cheerleading nationals brought over 50,000 people not to mention the thousands from the other events.

I would imagine that midweek would be tolerable though. I would go with a good plan and utilize FP if you can get them. Have a great time! Even with crowds, WDW is better than home or work!

Nov 2009 - POR
Jan 2012 - CBR
June 2013 - CSR
November 2014 - Pop

WDW is my happy place!
twoplustwins is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
MICKFan
MICKFan

Is there a site to see if anything is going on that week? I did see that the weekend is Marathon weekend but should end on my arrival day.
MICKFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
Tarheel girl 1975
Supposed Former Fastpass Hoarder

Just wanted to point out that January 13th was the beginning of MLK weekend this year and President Obama's visited MK on the 18th. This year MLK day is the 21st.
Previous Trips: 1990 Disneyland Hotel, 1991 Magic Music Days, 1996 Magic Music Days, Oct 2008 POP, May 2009 Poly, Sept. 2009 BWI, January 2011 CBR, Sept/Oct 2012 POR, Sept/Oct 2013 Beach Club Upcoming Trips: Sept/Oct 2014 POFQ and YC
Tarheel girl 1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
jessic2422
Mouseketeer

I am going this same time this year. I have been for marathon weekend before and it is slightly busy but nothing like holiday and summer days. I know that MLK weekend is busy. My mom was there last year and she said it was pretty crowded. I too am curious to see how it is this year...
jessic2422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
stewoo
Earning My Ears

I was there last year from January 8-15. The first weekend we got there was Marathon weekend and we left right after all the cheerleading crowds started to arrive. Honestly, the week was the least crowded I've seen the parks.

I don't know if it was the luck of the draw for which parks we went to which day, but the longest we waited in line for anything was 45 minutes for Toy Story Mania and there is always a line there.

I'd definitely consider going during this time again, but we could tell the crowds picked up towards the end of the week so I can imagine that the cheer competition makes a huge difference. As far as the marathon crowds go there are better people to ask than I because we got there during the marathon and barely noticed an influx of runners that night (they probably did the parks the days before we were there) so if there's a way to avoid the event packed weekends you should be in for a great time I think!
Old 11-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
tinkbyday
DIS Veteran

My DDs birthday is the 16th, so we've gone twice during that week and both times were moderate crowds. Brazil is off school during January and with that, they tend to bring large groups to tour Disney - if you happen to avoid the same park on the same day, it will be fine - being in the same park on the same day can make things a little crazy.

In addition to this, there are dance, cheer and other events that occur during the winter months - I would suggest looking on Mousesavers.com to see what may be going on.

Dec 09 YC CL Jan 09 YC Apr '08 WL and POR Jan '07 BWI Nov '05 Swan Oct '03 CBR
tinkbyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #8
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

I looked at the crowd calendar on easywdw.com. To me, it looks like manageable crowds. It won't be dead but should be ok.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
DemoBri1
Surfin' at the Beach Club Villas

If the marathon is there right before your stay the crowds might be somewhat elevated with some of the marathoners staying over. We just got back from a stay at BCV and we had both Food and Wine and the 1/2 marathon, and it was fairly crowded in the first part of our stay.

Seeing as though MLK is right after your stay you might see elevated crowds nearer the end of your stay as people would be trying to take advantage of the off day on the 21st.

DemoBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #10
DisneyRunnerChick
Princess of the Sneakers

I'll be going down for my third marathon weekend, and the parks are always surprisingly slow during that time. Disney schedules all the races during off peak times, and the racers don't make that big of a difference. However, since Sunday is the marathon, you might want to look at your park schedule since pathways will be blocked for the racers in the morning, particularly at Epcot. Last year, they still had the ropes up at 1 and were signaling people around the runners.

Me-; DFi-; DS-; DD-
Walt Disney World Half Marathon 2011, 2012; Wine and Dine Half Marathon 2011; Princess Half Marathon 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge 2012; ToT 2012; Wine and Dine Half 2012

Off property 2003; Off property 2004; PC March 2006; POR September 2010; ALSS January 2011; CS March 2011; POR October 2011; YC/PC January 2012; ALSS February 2012; AKL May 2012; POR September 2012; CB September 2012; AoA/ALSMusic November 2012; CSR January 2013

DisneyRunnerChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
shyeyes
Earning My Ears

how about first week of feb?

we're going in first week of feb/2013... anyone have experience with crowd levels then?
shyeyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: