Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
Tinkerkell007
Mouseketeer

Question about upgrading

Hey guys, I'm sorry if this has been asked somewhere already, I could not find anything.

I just booked a LM room at AoA and after all the reading I've been doing about the thermostat issue I'm having second thoughts. I can't sleep if I'm hot and I don't feel like I should have to pay money for a hotel room that I can't sleep in! So my question is this, would I have a better chance at getting a discount if I wait to upgrade(to a mod) until check in?

I'm so bummed, I was really looking forward to staying at LM. I hope they fix the issue someday.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerkell007 View Post
Hey guys, I'm sorry if this has been asked somewhere already, I could not find anything.

I just booked a LM room at AoA and after all the reading I've been doing about the thermostat issue I'm having second thoughts. I can't sleep if I'm hot and I don't feel like I should have to pay money for a hotel room that I can't sleep in! So my question is this, would I have a better chance at getting a discount if I wait to upgrade(to a mod) until check in?

I'm so bummed, I was really looking forward to staying at LM. I hope they fix the issue someday.
Getting a discounted room at check in is probably highly unlikely. Disney offers discounts well in advance and usually with a cut off date to book also well in advance of the travel dates.

If you want to book a different resort, you should book now and look out for discounts ahead of time.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Tinkerkell007
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Getting a discounted room at check in is probably highly unlikely. Disney offers discounts well in advance and usually with a cut off date to book also well in advance of the travel dates.

If you want to book a different resort, you should book now and look out for discounts ahead of time.
Thanks
Old 11-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerkell007

Doubtful. I very much doubt they will upgrade you with a discount on the spot.

If you are that worried Id upgrade now and try and toss on a discount.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
Tinkerkell007
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
Doubtful. I very much doubt they will upgrade you without paying regardless.

If you are that worried Id upgrade now and try and toss on a discount.
I didn't think they would upgrade me without paying. I just wondered if they give discounts. You know, maybe they have unsold rooms and are looking to upgrade people at a discount.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
fall08CP
Cheesehead

Quote:
I didn't think they would upgrade me without paying. I just wondered if they give discounts. You know, maybe they have unsold rooms and are looking to upgrade people at a discount.
I used to work at a deluxe resort and we constantly had guests asking to transfer their reservation over. Not only did they not get a discount, but they would be charged rack rate, as we couldn't apply any promotions at the desk. It may have changed since then (2010) but they really don't have any incentive to give discounts- Disney operates as a whole, so if you transfer resorts, there are no more rooms filled "on property", because one resort gains and another loses. Just my $.02. As others have recommended, if you're worried, change your reservation before you arrive as you can't be guaranteed other resorts will have vacancies.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I re-read and edited, but you ninja'd me! I misread at the first time
Old 11-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
Tinkerkell007
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
I re-read and edited, but you ninja'd me! I misread at the first time
aha! I'm too fast! lol Sorry, I didn't see your edit. I figured you just misread. No biggie
Old 11-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If you want to upgrade, do it now. You will not be offered a discount at check-in. I had to add some nights while already staying onsite last year (thank you hurricane irene) and the only discount they could offer me was AAA room-only. 10% was nice, but wasn't anywhere near the discount I had gotten on my original reservation which I had booked 6 months in advance! Upgrade now!
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #10
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

The issue that concerns you at AoA, may be the same at all the other resorts. Most of them have the sensor air conditioning system because they save energy and money.

You may want to bring a small fan with you if you are concerned about being too warm.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #11
Tinkerkell007
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
The issue that concerns you at AoA, may be the same at all the other resorts. Most of them have the sensor air conditioning system because they save energy and money.

You may want to bring a small fan with you if you are concerned about being too warm.
I've stayed at a few other resorts in the past year and yes they did have the sensor but I do not recall the A/C shutting off at night and I did not ever wake up sweating. So I'm just a bit nervous since all of the sudden there are a lot of people complaining about it at AoA.

Thank you all for your advice, I'm gonna think it over and perhaps even call Disney and see what they say.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #12
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

When are you going? If it's in the heat of summer, I could see the room getting hot if the AC turns off. But if it's in the winter, it would probably be OK.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: