Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
ChrisinNJ
DIS Veteran

RV GPS recommendations???

My husband mentioned getting a GPS unit for the RV that is geared to truck and RV use. He mainly wants it for height restrictions (I think). I thought it would be a great Christmas present for him if I can find a good one...

Can anyone recommend one? I know he is a Garmin fan. I found a Garmin 465LMT but it seems to have mixed reviews. It seems that most people reviewing it are truckers... Not much feedback from RV users.

DH & Me DD13 DS13 DD10 Holly
ChrisinNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
amberlynn
Earning My Ears

Never realized they made one! Sounds like an awesome idea! Hope you get some feedback, because I'd love to check into it!
amberlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
CampingDad
1214.5 miles from the mouse

Rand McNally makes a 7" and a 5" version of an RV GPS. Magellan makes a 7" RV GPS as well. I prefer Garmin also but the only version they make is for truckers and is not well suited for RV travel. RM and Megellan RV GPS both have settings for height and weight of the RV as well as routes suited for long RVs. Basically they make sure there are no turns or bridges that will get you in a bind. Both make finding campgrounds easy while on the road. I have been researching for a while and will be purchasing before next summer. I would like to hear of some users experiances with these GPS units.

2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax/Allison Edge E/Z 2008 Crossroads Cruiser 30sk w/ Swivel Wheel Trailer 2001 Club Car Gas

05/2008-FW 03/2009-FW 03/2011-FW 03/2012-FW 03/2013-FW
CampingDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:22 AM   #4
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

My dh just uses a regular Garmin.

As for height restrictions, etc. we've never had a problem, because with a MH you definitely usually stick to the main roads. Our only exception is the Blue Ridge Parkway, and they tell you which bridges are too low for RV's. We've never had an issue as long as we have rv'd.
North of Mouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
massmickeypal
Earning My Ears

I hope this may help.
We have been using a Garmin NUVI for several years for our RV and have found that it has been a great guide. You set width, length, height and hazardous materials, weight...
I am far from being tech savy so this is just my personal opinion. It does provide information geared to trucks that we have not used for our RV like truck washes, repair areas and tire sales. Overall we are confident when using this GPS.
massmickeypal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: