Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
AshtonsMom99
Stitch's Intergalactic Wife.......

1st TIME DCL Cruise!

I have so many questions....I am a TA and I have done all the training but I still have so many questions about what to expect.....advice is needed....we decided on the October 5th cruise on the Fantasy out of PC....Very excited but I have a very anxious 13 year old ( he has seen Titanic to many times *eyeroll* ) and I need to reassure him. I have been on a cruise myself, so I imagine it is not to different but anything else I can tell husband and son to answer questions?

offsite 79' PC 05' offsite 06' ASMo 09' PC 12' PC 13' POFQ 13' and Disneyland 3 times
AshtonsMom99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

That's so exciting! We are booked for that one as well and there is already a thread on the "meets" board so you should check it out. Tell your anxious son that there is a safety drill on the first day so he has nothing to worry about! What other questions do you have? Post away! This is definitely the place for it!
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Tell him about all the safety regulations that were put into effect as a result of the Titanic disaster....and that DCL ships have rescued people from other cruise ships as well as from other situations on several occasions (one was a guest who had presumably jumped from a Carnival balcony). And tell him that since the line started in 1998, no one has unintentionally gone overboard from a DCL ship--they were built with safety as the main concern.

And then, if he doesn't want to go, I can think of a couple thousand people who would be happy to take his place!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner
Tell him about all the safety regulations that were put into effect as a result of the Titanic disaster....and that DCL ships have rescued people from other cruise ships as well as from other situations on several occasions (one was a guest who had presumably jumped from a Carnival balcony). And tell him that since the line started in 1998, no one has unintentionally gone overboard from a DCL ship--they were built with safety as the main concern.

And then, if he doesn't want to go, I can think of a couple thousand people who would be happy to take his place!
I don't want to be a downer and I'm not suggesting that OP should tell " anxious" this, but I was on the Wonder cruise when the cast member Rebecca Coriam went missing and Disney has no proof that she went overboard period let alone that she went over intentionally. All that aside, I do feel fairly safe with Disney as their safety reputation seems to be much higher than other lines.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

This is true, and was not the situation I was thinking of. I was on the Magic when a teen jumped overboard while the ship was in port. Suffice it to say that the captain was not amused. The area on deck 4 that he used to jump has since been closed off so guests cannot access it. That was where my "intentional" comment came from. And I've never heard of a child or adult "falling" overboard.

I had completely forgotten about Ms. Coriam's disappearance.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

OP, don't let your son watch either version of the Poseidon Adventure til after your cruise!
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: