Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
LovetheMouse12302
Mouseketeer

Help in choosing a resort

I need some help!!!! We haven't booked our vacation yet but for months we have had plans wrote down to stay a week at Grand Floridian next year. We love staying there but today my DS (5 almost 6) asked if we could stay at the All Star Movies resort. We have visited the values and he loved the big icons! I don't mind staying at a value and would love to save the money but my main concern is the beds. I have some back/neck issues and need a comfortable mattress. I can't sleep on a super firm matress. Will I have any issues? We will be driving to the parks so I don't have concerns with busses. Also, has ASMO been refurbed recently? If not, which values have? I would love to try AoA, but our son won't set foot in a Little Mermaid room and we don't need a suite. There will be 4 of us traveling. Me, DH, DS (will be 6) and DD (she will be 1). Thanks in advance.
Saratoga Springs- May 2010
Coronado Springs- February 2011
Kidani Village- February 2011, September 2011
Grand Floridian- September 2011
Boardwalk Villas- September 2011
Polynesian- May 2013
Pop Century- May 2013
LovetheMouse12302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Movies was just completed a renovation in November of last year. I found the mattress to be fine. One thing I have noticed in my many stays at WDW resorts is that mattresses can be inconsistent. I have had some mattresses feel like a slab of concrete and others that were quite comfortable at the same resorts. I have also found no differences between resort levels. I have had the concrete slab mattresses at the deluxe resorts.

If you absolutely must have a comfortable mattress the swan and dolphin have the heavenly mattresses which are truly heavenly, but they don't have the big icons your son wants.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
SA mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboysmom View Post
If you absolutely must have a comfortable mattress the swan and dolphin have the heavenly mattresses which are truly heavenly.
Oh, those heavenly beds! We love the Swan/Dolphin, especially when staying on points!
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
chemnerd09
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovetheMouse12302 View Post
I need some help!!!! We haven't booked our vacation yet but for months we have had plans wrote down to stay a week at Grand Floridian next year. We love staying there but today my DS (5 almost 6) asked if we could stay at the All Star Movies resort. We have visited the values and he loved the big icons! I don't mind staying at a value and would love to save the money but my main concern is the beds. I have some back/neck issues and need a comfortable mattress. I can't sleep on a super firm matress. Will I have any issues? We will be driving to the parks so I don't have concerns with busses. Also, has ASMO been refurbed recently? If not, which values have? I would love to try AoA, but our son won't set foot in a Little Mermaid room and we don't need a suite. There will be 4 of us traveling. Me, DH, DS (will be 6) and DD (she will be 1). Thanks in advance.
We just stayed at the POP and found the beds to be quite comfortable. Even though the POP still had the big icons, I found it to be better done than the All Stars. I agree with a pp that the beds can be inconsistent. We found the AoA beds in a little mermaid room to be terrible for us. I'd be with your son after staying in a Little Mermaid room. It was a bit tacky for me, but I knew that going in. We just wanted to stay there for a night since it had just opened.

chemnerd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

I second the comfy beds at Pop (at least in our room). Plenty of big icons for your young man there too

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 14, DD 9
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Not sure how tall your DHS is, but the values only have double beds, vs queen at mod and deluxe.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
Alabama Minnie
DIS Veteran

If you are wanting the experience for your son IMO I would let him pick one of the AoA suites. There will be more room and a bigger bed for you and DH (especially if you have been staying at the larger deluxes) and I have heard the theme there is the BEST of the values.
We only do the values now when there is only the 2 of us because of the full-sized beds. Our last value stay was at the ASMovies and the beds were kinda hard there IMO. The room was in great shape though.

2013-(2/14)AoA/Dolphin/(12/13)WL***2014-(11/14) BLT with (ds) (ddl) and (dgs) 1st visit
2012-Universal/Dolphin**2011-BWI/POLY/WL**2010-POLY/ASMu/CSR**2009-AKL/Dolphin/CSR/Pop**2008-CR/ASMo/Pop**2007-FQ
Alabama Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: