Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
heatherandnick
DIS Veteran

Signature Dining Idea Regarding Kids (putting on flame suit now)

I'm sure this will be a very unpopular post with many, but I sort of wanted to see if others agree with me at all or if I am completely out of line here...

After a fantastic DxDP trip last week, DH and I made an observation about many of the signature dining establishments where we dined. Quite a few of our dinner ADRs were after 7:30 or 8pm. After a couple meals where children were either sleeping on the booth attached to ours, having major meltdowns, or watching loud videos on Dad's iphone while the parents tried to enjoy a bottle of wine, I started thinking.... (here is where the flame suit will be necessary)...

Wouldn't it be a great idea if signature (and only signature) restaurants allowed no children under 10 years old at any ADRs past 7pm?

To those of you with children, this might seem ridiculous and even insulting, but hear me out. I LOVE kids. But I also love some adult time past a certain time of the evening. I do not think children should be sleeping at signature dining tables at 9:30 at night. They should be in bed. I know it is a vacation that you all paid a lot of money for and you want to get the most bang for your buck, but really?!? I think it's ludicrous. If you want to enjoy a late adults-only dinner, then book a sitter. It takes something away from those around you when they are being kicked by your sleeping kiddos or enduring a temper tantrum from someone who is too exhausted to stand.

Sorry to anyone if I offended you. I'm sure some kids can handle later dinners, but, believe me, many can't. I paid a lot for my vacation, too.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherandnick View Post
I'm sure this will be a very unpopular post with many, but I sort of wanted to see if others agree with me at all or if I am completely out of line here...

After a fantastic DxDP trip last week, DH and I made an observation about many of the signature dining establishments where we dined. Quite a few of our dinner ADRs were after 7:30 or 8pm. After a couple meals where children were either sleeping on the booth attached to ours, having major meltdowns, or watching loud videos on Dad's iphone while the parents tried to enjoy a bottle of wine, I started thinking.... (here is where the flame suit will be necessary)...

Wouldn't it be a great idea if signature (and only signature) restaurants allowed no children under 10 years old at any ADRs past 7pm?

To those of you with children, this might seem ridiculous and even insulting, but hear me out. I LOVE kids. But I also love some adult time past a certain time of the evening. I do not think children should be sleeping at signature dining tables at 9:30 at night. They should be in bed. I know it is a vacation that you all paid a lot of money for and you want to get the most bang for your buck, but really?!? I think it's ludicrous. If you want to enjoy a late adults-only dinner, then book a sitter. It takes something away from those around you when they are being kicked by your sleeping kiddos or enduring a temper tantrum from someone who is too exhausted to stand.

Sorry to anyone if I offended you. I'm sure some kids can handle later dinners, but, believe me, many can't. I paid a lot for my vacation, too.
While I agree that many children shouldn't be out at a signature dining restaurant that late at night, I don't agree with WDW making it a policy. You would be punishing all parents for the few that don't make responsible choices for their children.

Also, 7:00pm would be too early of a cutoff time, especially for the older children of the age range you listed. 7-9 year olds generally wouldn't have a problem at 8:00pm. Plus, what about the couple with the infant that will sleep in a carrier while the parents eat? With this policy, those parents would be turned away when it really doesn't make a difference where that child is sleeping. My ex and I often went to fine dining establishments when DD was an infant. She would sleep in her carseat the entire meal and not disturb anyone. She actually slept better in her carseat than she did in her crib at home.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
OhThePain
DIS Veteran

I also agree that parents should take their kids as well as being considerate of other guests when planning ADRs. I personally don't have an issue with kids in Signatures on the late side, even if they are passed out. My issue is with the parents who, as the OP mentioned, either play loud videos/games on phones or whatever to keep the kids occupied and parents who ignore their kids tantrums. I understand they are on vacation and they are trying to find a way to feel like adults while at a place that brings out the kid in us all. That's why as much as it may bug me I don't let it get to me (if that makes sence).

Since it is just my fiancee and I (no kids) we no longer eat most of our dinners at typical dinner times. When eating at a Signature restaurant, we now aim to get the last ADR of the night. By the time our entrees come, the restaurant is practically empty, leaving us to enjoy a nice, quiet, romantic dinner. We don't think it would be fair to expect people to change the way they want to plan their vacation (but again, some consideration would be nice). Plus, we feel it has worked to our advantage for us to change the way we plan to do things.

1988- Contemporary Resort / 1990- Big Red Boat and Buena Vista Palace / 1993- CBR / 1997- ASMusic / 1998- CBR / 1998- ASSports / 2008/9- POR / 2009- Convention at Gaylord Palms / 2010- POR / 2011- AKL-CL (with 3 "bonus" nights AKL non-CL) / 2013-BWV / 2014- POR / 2014- Disney Fantasy (Western)
Old 11-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
everythingALICE
I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhThePain View Post
I also agree that parents should take their kids as well as being considerate of other guests when planning ADRs. I personally don't have an issue with kids in Signatures on the late side, even if they are passed out. My issue is with the parents who, as the OP mentioned, either play loud videos/games on phones or whatever to keep the kids occupied and parents who ignore their kids tantrums. I understand they are on vacation and they are trying to find a way to feel like adults while at a place that brings out the kid in us all. That's why as much as it may bug me I don't let it get to me (if that makes sence).
Agreed. I hate when parents choose to ignore tantrums - if you choose to let your kid "ride out" tantrums at home, that's fine. But don't allow that sort of behavior in a restaurant (regardless of it's a Signature or not) where it's going to directly affect the meals of others around you.

Also, if you're going to bring a portable DVD player/ipad/iphone to a restaurant so your child can watch a movie, give him headphones! I had a table directly behind me once whose son was watching a movie with the volume on full-blast. So distracting.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

- Another thing to keep in mind is time zones - if that particular group comes from the West Coast for examply, and is eating at 8, it's really like 5 to them.

- As someone who does not like dining near screaming children and always took her own outside if there was a problem, I understand the issue. But, I disagree with your suggested rule. Why punish my DD9 (and my family) because someone else can't parent? I am not a fan of the we should punish everyone because of one bad apple rules.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
prttynpnk
Mouseketeer

Ok, let me put on my safety goggles with my flame suit.....how about a little 'non-breeding' section in some restaurants? Why seat a 2 top couple next to a family of 7 if you can avoid it? I have actually been pelted with crayons at Citricos, so I understand the issue. I've also sat by tables that had amazing children and had to tell the parents what a treat being near them was, but mostly I just wish I could eat without screaming and antics. There I said it. I'm evil.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
everythingALICE
I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.

A non-breeding section. I love it. Totally on board.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by prttynpnk View Post
Ok, let me put on my safety goggles with my flame suit.....how about a little 'non-breeding' section in some restaurants? Why seat a 2 top couple next to a family of 7 if you can avoid it? I have actually been pelted with crayons at Citricos, so I understand the issue. I've also sat by tables that had amazing children and had to tell the parents what a treat being near them was, but mostly I just wish I could eat without screaming and antics. There I said it. I'm evil.
I used to actually say that! Instead of a smoking/non-smoking section (especially since in most states you can't smoke inside anyway) restaurants should do a kid/no-kid section!

Before the flaming here - I love kids! I do mean this (mostly) in jest. 99% of the time I am never bothered by kids in restaurants. And when I have been bothered by kids being unruly I feel bad for the parents because 99% of the time they are trying to work with their kids but the kids are just not wanting to cooperate!
Old 11-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
zokaluse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prttynpnk View Post
Not evil at all I've often said this should be done in restaurants. I have 2 kids who eat out with us a lot so when we go out on our own without them the last thing I want is to be sat listeing to someone elses children or have their mucking about ruin my quiet child free evening. As a aparent I also would not be offended being sat with other families with children, I think it makes perfect sence!
Old 11-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #10
KimBeano
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherandnick

Lower it to 8 years old and up it to 8pm and this parent is in!!
Old 11-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #11
Bertnie20
Mouseketeer

What I think would be cool is if they had kid clubs at the resturant. Like on the cruise ships. They feed the kids let them play or rest and then when mom and dad are done they go back
Old 11-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #12
freshmanjs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertnie20 View Post
What I think would be cool is if they had kid clubs at the resturant. Like on the cruise ships. They feed the kids let them play or rest and then when mom and dad are done they go back
they do have them. not in the restaurants per se but very close by.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #13
Bertnie20
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmanjs

they do have them. not in the restaurants per se but very close by.
I meant in the restaurant. That way the parents have the choice if they need to send or stay because like others said some kids need it some don't.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #14
freshmanjs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertnie20 View Post
I meant in the restaurant. That way the parents have the choice if they need to send or stay because like others said some kids need it some don't.
but why does it matter if it's literally in the restaurant vs just nearby?
Old 11-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #15
heatherandnick
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much for all your great feedback, responses, and opinions. I must say, it has been interesting.

I did not think of the time zones. That is a very good point.

Additionally, I was not talking about infants in car seats, although I know they are still children under the original age requirement I had posted. However, I have sat through many dinners with infants screaming their heads off while the parents try to quiet them instead of immediately walking out of the restaurant. That's a whole other thread. Lol

I LOVE the idea of an adults-only section of signature restaurants. IMO, that seems to be a great option to not "punish" everyone with kids. Also, I totally agree with the idea of lowering the age to 8 and upping the time to 8pm. I agree that 7pm was probably unrealistic of me.

Please, let's keep all the posts friendly so this doesn't get shut down. My point of this was to see if others agree with me, and I can tell that the consensus is pretty much in favor of some adults-only dining. Thanks again.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: