Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
mouseymommy
I love the smell of Pirates

I Hope It's OK To Ask This!

My DH and I are planning a cruise for 2014 to Alaska. We are not going to use DCL though. We would like to do that in 2015 when our smaller kids are a bit older. We are hoping to cruise in The Haven on NCL, but I am having trouble finding reviews from regular cruisers. I looked on Cruise Critic, but there were only a couple reviews. Does anybody know where I could find more info, maybe a site like this one? Does anybody here have any experience? Thanks, and I hope it was ok to ask this question here.
mouseymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

Rather than just reading the reviews on Cruise Critic, join the forums there and ask on the NCL board - I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses!

snykymom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
mouseymommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snykymom View Post
Rather than just reading the reviews on Cruise Critic, join the forums there and ask on the NCL board - I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses!
Thanks, I didn't even see that!!

Thank you Moderator!!
Old 11-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
BuffaloFan
Earning My Ears

I did a NCL to Alaska this year simply because I couldn't bring myself to paid literally twice as much for Disney. Plus the itinerary on Disney isnt' as good (no glacier bay). I will however say, there is a big difference between guests and facilities between the two cruiselines. We go about 2x a year on Disney and NCL was a let down. However the food was just as good or better on NCL. Plus freestyle dining is great.
BuffaloFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
Seahunt
DIS Veteran

I agree, go to the NCL board on CC for questions, very friendly over there

I will be in the Haven on NCL's Epic in January. I think going for the suite life on NCL will really add to your experience.

The Epic is a huge ship, and doesn't sail to Alaska (it does Caribbean and Europe itineraries), but here is a wonderful video tour of the Epic Haven facilities (for suite guests only) to give you an idea of what is offered:

http://youtu.be/WpPFDzAIuIY
Seahunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
mouseymommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunt View Post
I agree, go to the NCL board on CC for questions, very friendly over there

I will be in the Haven on NCL's Epic in January. I think going for the suite life on NCL will really add to your experience.

The Epic is a huge ship, and doesn't sail to Alaska (it does Caribbean and Europe itineraries), but here is a wonderful video tour of the Epic Haven facilities (for suite guests only) to give you an idea of what is offered:

http://youtu.be/WpPFDzAIuIY
Thanks! The Norwegian Jewel also has The Haven, and I think that is the ship we will be on. I would love to hear about your experience in January. I hope it's as wonderful as I want our trip to be.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseymommy View Post
My DH and I are planning a cruise for 2014 to Alaska. We are not going to use DCL though. We would like to do that in 2015 when our smaller kids are a bit older. We are hoping to cruise in The Haven on NCL, but I am having trouble finding reviews from regular cruisers. I looked on Cruise Critic, but there were only a couple reviews. Does anybody know where I could find more info, maybe a site like this one? Does anybody here have any experience? Thanks, and I hope it was ok to ask this question here.
This board is for discussion of DCL cruises but I will let it remain.

I encourage everyone to ask the webmasters for some sub forums on the cruise board to discuss other cruise lines!!! The demand is certainly there by the number of non-DCL cruise questions we get!!!

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37

I encourage everyone to ask the webmasters for some sub forums on the cruise board to discuss other cruise lines!!! The demand is certainly there by the number of non-DCL cruise questions we get!!!

MJ
Is there a particular place/board/thread where we should post this request to the webmasters?

Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2011
Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean May 2013
Sapphire Princess California Coastal January 2014
MAJPLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJPLO View Post
Is there a particular place/board/thread where we should post this request to the webmasters?
Try email:

admin@wdwinfo.com.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
KDvacation
Cruisin Fan

Proceed with Caution

I have enjoyed many non-disney and disney vacations. But I made a huge mistake in July 2012 by cruising NCL's Jewel to Alaska. It was awful.

1) The food was terrible in buffets and main dining rooms. Consequently we spent a lot in the extra $ restaurants.
2)The children's programming is not continuous and bad. My son refused to go after trying one program (and he had always enjoyed DCL and RCCL kids programs).
3) The ship is decor is tired and worn.
4) The staff is rude and lacks training. Our room was never made up until late afternoon. I didn't meet our room steward for days.
5) The entertainment on Jewel was o.k. for adults/teens, not for younger kids.
6) The pool area is not very suitable for younger children. Bring life jackets!
7) The gym is very small.
8) The spa refused to honor port day prices for my service because the ship left port before my service concluded. I probably could have argued this successfully, but it was just another example of NCL issues.
9) The coffee bar has the same snack items as the buffet, but NCL refuses to serve them to you unless you pay for a coffee drink item.

The best part of the NCL Jewel was the Alaska ports which were truly outstanding.

When I boarded NCL, I had every intention to book another NCL cruise to Bermuda while on-board to take advantage of the on-board booking credit. My family and I decided the NCL experience was so bad that we did not (and have not) booked another NCL cruise.

I understand the appeal of saving money on a less expensive cruise line, but the money we spent on NCL was really "expensive" since it was such an poor quality experience. When I planned this trip, I thought it was crazy to spend DCL prices for a cruise that didn't go to Castaway Key (which is the best private island hands down).

We've had good experiences on DCL and RCCL cruise to Carribean and Mexico. I prefer DCL, but RCCL can be good alternative if the itinerary is *worth* it.

I hope this is helpful. It's just my opinion of my cruise experience. Next time it will be DCL or RCCL again.
KDvacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
ededmd
Mouseketeer

I can only endorse NCL if sailing in the Haven.
ededmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #12
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
MJ
Thank you. MJ

I struggled deciding between NCL and DCL when I was booking our first post kids cruise, what, two years ago. I chose DCL first, because "kids are young once" and the new Fantasy ship helped. It was a wonderful and unforgettable experience.

So here I am deciding on what is next. It's a tough call between DCL and NCL again ironically. The Breakaway to BDA, the EPIC or Fantasy again to Caribbean. Decisions, decisions ....

NCL suite life is wonderful. Jewel class ships with the haven you won't regret.

My dilemma is Epic with too many haven suites at a respectable price, or Breakaway with just the right amount of suites at an inflated price.

BDA or Caribbean in Oct. hurricane season?
Both risky. But odds should be with us.

You have seen this site ??

http://www.nclsuitesandvillas.co.uk/...villasmore.php

HTH

Last edited by Bear3412; 11-16-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: