Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
jshora
Mouseketeer

Good Neighbor Hotels.. Which one to choose?!

So, my husband and I are planning on visiting Disneyland Resort 1/17 - 1/22. Currently I have a room reserved at Hotel Menage since I got a great deal on it ($75/night). My questions are:

- What are people's experiences with Hotel Menage?
- Any other recommendations for hotels within walking distance?

We may have a car and are totally willing to drive to Disneyland (I understand that we will pay for parking at Disneyland).

- Is it better to stay further out at a nicer hotel for cheaper and drive in?
- What are people's experiences with driving to Disneyland in the morning and then driving back to the hotel at night?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
jshora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."

I prefer being within walking distance vs. driving to the parks each time. We like the option to take a break for a rest or swim. I find it is easier to walk to the gates vs getting in the car, parking and taking the tram to the gates...let alone $15 each day to park.
We usually stay at Hojo or the Anaheim Fairfield Inn (Marriott).
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
danaesacto
DIS Veteran

all the hotels across the street have their benefits- but the one common thing is you don't have to drive- avoid driving at all costs- traffic can be crazy (hey this is California!), it is expensive to park, and it takes just as long to get to your car as it does the hotel room across the street (well almost anyway
Old 11-16-2012, 04:01 AM   #4
theluckyrabbit
DIS Veteran

I've heard the Menage is more of a business style hotel (i.e. not aimed at families visiting the parks). But people have reported good things about it (these people didn't bring kids). As others have said, it is far for walking to the parks. If you get your tickets through AAA, parking is included -- so that would save you $15 a day. But, as others have said, you may not want to take the time to drive to the parking lots, park, and take the shuttles to the parks. You can stay closer to the parks (we really like the Candy Cane Inn) or stay at a hotel with a private shuttle (so you won't need to rely on ART) -- again, Candy Cane Inn or the Sheraton Anaheim (both hotels' shuttle run on time). How far from the parks is good depends on your personal park visit style. If you like to be at rope drop and come back for rest during the day, staying closer is better. If you have a more relaxed style, don't need to go back to the hotel during the day, and don't mind driving, then staying further away will be fine.
theluckyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
lizdotcom99
Tags Have Been Donated

Another vote for Candy Cane!! Loved Cane for many reasons...including the free parking. But we got a super deal at Annabella and will be trying that next month, as we don't have a car this trip.

Candy Cane is within walking distance...and also has the shuttle. You can't lose!!! Oh...and the rooms are a bit dated...but clean and comfy...and the staff incredibly nice. The free continental breakfast was just meh.....danish, bagels and coffee and such.

We are also of the mindset that our room is just a place to sleep, as we spend most of our time in the parks. A pool and those types of amenities do nothing for us as we do not use them.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
Zbugz
Thinking about In n Out Burgers and Sunshine

We are just back from a 5 night stay at the Fairfield Inn and a 4 night stay at the PPH. I wish we had spent the entire time at the FFI. We loved it. Their service and rooms were perfect for us. Their pool area is decent, too. Laundry was convenient, the walk was short, and we really like breakfast at Mimi's, which is nearby.
Zbugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
hlbtimes2
Stretch that spine out big and tall!
Oh, you arent paying? Dang!

We have not stayed there. I've heard it has more of an adult vibe too it (not as in adult XXX, LOL! just not really a family vibe). I, personally, wouldnt stay there just because of the location. In my opinion its too far to walk, but not far enough to justify driving to the garage and parking. Which leaves you with the ART, which is ok. Its cheap and gets the job done. But, overall, we really like to be a short walk from the parks. Our top pick is the Candy Cane, followed by Best Western Park Place, or the Park Vue.

Other than that, it depends on your needs. We are a "motel rooms are for sleeping" type family. We spend very little time in our hotel when we are at DL, so we do not go for high end hotels.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
my2boys2disney
Mouseketeer

We stayed at Fairfield Inn twice. I would go again except I just can't deal with their dirty carpets, I know these hotels are so busy but jeez. My socks were so dirty after walking in the room only. Skeeved me out.

my2boys2disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
Zbugz
Thinking about In n Out Burgers and Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2boys2disney View Post
We stayed at Fairfield Inn twice. I would go again except I just can't deal with their dirty carpets, I know these hotels are so busy but jeez. My socks were so dirty after walking in the room only. Skeeved me out.
Ick.

Our rooms' carpets were clean (#132 & 133).
Zbugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
50sjayne
DIS Veteran

You should read Hydroguys tips on staying within walking distance. It is the Rule. It takes a long time to park-- precious time in the am when everyone else will get their radiator fast passes--you may or may not by the time you get there. It is also great to go back to your room to rest during the busiest time of the day.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #11
stitchandco
Earning My Ears

We stayed at the Fairfield the first week of November and our carpets were clean.
stitchandco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #12
OnTheRoadAgain
DIS Veteran

I agree with all of the comments previously posted. I would like to add that by some people's definition, Menage is within walking distance. We did this during our first family trip to DL many years ago. I would not want to do it again.

It is a really unpleasant walk, up and over a busy freeway.

IMO it is better to stay at the best hotel to fit my needs and walk than farther away and nicer. Nearer and walking is better if you are going to come early, take a break, and stay later. Hours will be lost if you try this and stay farther away and can't walk.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #13
OnTheRoadAgain
DIS Veteran

That being said, if I could not find a hotel that fit my needs and budget within a 15 minute walk, I would now consider staying within a 5 minute walk of the Toy Story parking lot and having the shuttle take me right to the entrance of the esplanade. That would also end up being close to 15 minutes since Disney is doing such a great job making frequent runs directly to and from that lot.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #14
jshora
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much everyone who has replied and people reading, please continue to respond.

Has anyone ever stayed at the Alpine Inn? I was reading some good reviews on that on Trip Advisor.

Sounds like Hotel Menage, though a great rate is out. Doesn't sound like people have had too good of a vacation experience with it. Unfortunately, I think Im a bit late in my planning as many hotels are booked or way over budget. It's just my husband and I, no kids. We are usually at the parks from rope drop until they kick us out.

Definitely looking into the Candy Cane!
jshora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #15
danaesacto
DIS Veteran

Another idea is Best Western Stovall's. It is out the other direction, and therefore not a top choice for people with younger kids. Supposedly very clean, and a kinda short walk- it's just beyond Paradise Pier and then across Katella. We were going to stay there because it is less expensive than most of the Harbor hotels. Alpine Inn doesn't even register with me as being one that friends or family has stayed at, so sorry no info there....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: