Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
prairiesarah
Earning My Ears

Flying from Canada and DME tags

I could post this on the Transportation board but I am hoping I will find more accurate info for this particular situation here.

I know that flights direct from Canada you cannot use the DME tags because in most cases you would have to collect your own luggage to clear customs in MCO.

But in our case we are flying Regina to Minneapolis (MSP) where we will clear customs and collect our luggage, then MSP to Orlando. If I put the DME tags on when we re-check our luggage after US Customs in MSP should I have any issues with the DME people collecting my luggage? I am assuming it should be fine, but wanted to double check. I think at that point it should be no different than any other domestic flight?
prairiesarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
Lizard Valley
Mouseketeer

You're right The MSP-MCO flight is a US domestic flight, and you would be just like everybody else.

I would strongly recommend that you pack a carry-on overnight bag though. It can take around 3 hours from the time you arrive at the resort to the time your luggage gets to your room. Have bathing suits, 1 set of summer clothes, sandals, a light jacket, pyjamas, medications, and air travel sized toiletries available for you to use immediately when you arrive.
Lizard Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
prairiesarah
Earning My Ears

Thanks! I am working out our plan for carryon's and plan to take the things you listed since we won't get to our hotel till around 7pm and we may want to go to bed before our luggage arrives so may end up asking for it to be held till the am.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
mom_rules
LOVES the Yachtsmen!
HATES snakes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiesarah View Post
I could post this on the Transportation board but I am hoping I will find more accurate info for this particular situation here.

I know that flights direct from Canada you cannot use the DME tags because in most cases you would have to collect your own luggage to clear customs in MCO.

But in our case we are flying Regina to Minneapolis (MSP) where we will clear customs and collect our luggage, then MSP to Orlando. If I put the DME tags on when we re-check our luggage after US Customs in MSP should I have any issues with the DME people collecting my luggage? I am assuming it should be fine, but wanted to double check. I think at that point it should be no different than any other domestic flight?
At YYZ you clear US customs in Ontario-so you can use your luggage tags for DME.
Beach Club concierge/Wonder Mar '05
Boardwalk Inn Concierge Oct 2004
Carribean Beach Resort Oct 2004
Yacht Club Concierge April 2004
All Star Music April 2004
Grand Californian Concierge-Disneyland September 2003
Beach Club May 2003
Beach Club May 2001
Coronado Springs May 1999
Carribean May 1996
Offsite October 1987

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
mom_rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
Muddypaws
Mouseketeer

We always rent a vehicle at the airport when we arrive, but when I have thought about taking the ME I just figured that we would just pick up our own luggage and take it to the bus. It seems like the luggage gets unloaded from the plane very quickly so there is very little waiting. Plus one year we were delayed getting out of Regina by almost 3 hours and then Delta expedited our run through customs and we barely even touched our luggage.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
DisneyFreak06
DIS Veteran

You can put the tags on whenever you want. Be careful where you go through customs, in Montreal, for example, you pre-clear US customs and you do not pick up your bags. I have always put my DME tags on at home before leaving. They mean nothing to any other airport than MCO.
Tina the F.I. Kindergarten Pop Century (06) Pop Century (07) POFQ (09) All Star Music (09) All Star Movies and Grand Floridian(10) DL HoJo Anaheim (12) Port Orleans Riverside (12) DL Carousel Inn (13) Art of Animation and Pop (13)Sports and POR (14)

My Trip Reports:
Someone left their inside b*** on the toilet (WDW, July/Aug 2014) Dorothy and Blanche: a tale of leftover shoes and lost things! My Club 33 Disneyland trip! July 2013A Blast from the Past (2009!)The trip to make up for the cold (WDW, July 2012) I'm never staying home for March Break again (Disneyland, March 2012) You little sneak, a TR with lies and pictures (WDW, July/Aug 2010)
DisneyFreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
SaskDisNut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiesarah View Post

You might just want to put your DME tags on before you leave YQR. When you get to MSP you will go through customs. Right after customs is a luggage carousel where you will pick up your bags. From there you go through a customs checkpoint to verify that you have your bags. From there it is a short walk to a conveyor belt where you will drop your bags off for your connecting flight. If you are in any kind of rush you might not want to take the time to put your bags on then. We've done this flight a few times now and this is what we have done. Have a great trip.
May 2007 - WDW - Pop Century
Dec 2008 - WDW - Pop/CSR
Jan 2009 - WDW - Beach Club - IBM Lotusphere 2009
Oct 2009 - WDW - CSR & Free Dining!!
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - HOJO Anaheim
Feb 2012 - Disney Wonder - Mexican Riviera Cruise

Check out my --> CSR Review 10/3/2009 - 10/11/2009
SaskDisNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
prairiesarah
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskDisNut View Post
You might just want to put your DME tags on before you leave YQR. When you get to MSP you will go through customs. Right after customs is a luggage carousel where you will pick up your bags. From there you go through a customs checkpoint to verify that you have your bags. From there it is a short walk to a conveyor belt where you will drop your bags off for your connecting flight. If you are in any kind of rush you might not want to take the time to put your bags on then. We've done this flight a few times now and this is what we have done. Have a great trip.
Thanks! I will do that and just put them on before we leave home. We shouldn't be in a rush in MSP as we currently have 3 hours but it will be one less thing to worry about. I am getting excited - we are at less than 20 days now!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: