Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 06:01 AM   #1
goofy4prez
DIS Dads Club Member #484
I hate the Steelers & Ravens like a mother loves a child!!!!

Moderate Resort Experts: Help this Deluxe fan choose a moderate!

What better place to ask for advice than from all of you on the DIS. I have looked over the pics, read the resort links, and I even walked some of the property at CSR back in 2010. With that said, I am at an absolute standstill between CSR, POR, POFQ. The problem is I like all three of them.

We will be heading back to WDW after a long 3 year hiatus from "home." Over the past couple of years it's been a long recovery from an serious auto accident for me, the selling of my long time business, a daughter entering high school, future college costs, my mother fighting cancer and a younger brother unexpectantly (45) passing away. Thru it all though, I can still say I am blessed. With all of that said, we are going to have to cut a few corners on this trip. Normally we would just head for our favorite resort, WL, especially during the holiday season.

We will be heading back November 28, 2013 till December 5, 2013. For this trip it will be just my DW and Myself. My DD will be heading down with her high school marching band and staying elsewhere and we would love to see her march in the parade. She would still be in WDW with her friends away from her parents, and mom and dad can have a little time together alone as well.

Alright, I have rambled on long enough; my fellow DIS'ers help me out here. Which moderate should I choose? I want to hear about all the ins and outs. Why you like them and why you would recommend or not recommend it. What locations and rooms would you recommend? Is getting a water or river view worth it? Would you pay to have a preferred location and etc? Even if Disney ends up releasing a promo discount later next year for when we are booked we are still staying moderate this year.

Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs
goofy4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
portocall
I'm gonna try the water and swat next time

I would pick either of the Port Orleans resorts. FQ is smaller, easier to get around and I don't know how the recovery is going as far as aches and pains. Por is so relaxing however which of a large reason we continue to go there but does have some long walks that are no fun where you are hurting. That is just my opinion. Sorry for your your rough couple of years.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2012, 06:46 AM   #3
Tink415
DIS Veteran

CSR and POR have the edge for me. Both have lounges, better food options, and more pools than POFQ. I also think the Christmas decorations are more outstanding at CSR and POR. On the other hand, POFQ is small and beautiful, I just don't like the food court or pool for adults at POFQ.

At POR my favorite room locations are the preferred blds or the mansions. I haven't stayed at POR yet since the rooms were redone and princess rooms added, but I'm sure they are only nicer now. At CSR, we've stayed at Cabanas and Ranchos sections, and while I didn't like Ranchos section at first, I really like it now after a few stays, but prefer to have a rental car when staying there.

Water views at the moderates can be hit or miss. We've had beautiful water views at CSR and POR and others that I wished I hadn't wasted the money on. POFQ (and CBR) we've had only beautiful water views.

Honestly, I choose by the price of what's available when I make a ressie, and if I plan to have a rental car, as I like all of the moderates! Have a great trip!
Tink415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
Disneygirl NY
Mouseketeer

I've never stayed at CSR, but I've stayed at all the others and most recently we stayed POFQ last Dec. POFQ is my favorite, it is small and quiet, only one bus stop (unless you get stuck on a bus from Downtown Disney that goes through POR's 5 stops first!). Our room was very close to the dining hall, pool, bus stop and ferry. They showed outdoor movies on the lawn just outside our room as well, though we didn't really have too much time to enjoy that. I just found it more intimate than the others, but not everyone likes that.
Disneygirl NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
baldy6060
Mouseketeer

I'm hoping to try CSR this year but we've stayed at POFQ and visited POR. They are beautiful and romantic! I think any of them would be nice for the 2 of you. I'm glad you told us your story about going while your daughter is with the band. Our band goes to WDW about every other year and I just broke the news to my kids that we would do the same thing you are. They weren't happy.
baldy6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
reiella
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneygirl NY View Post
I've never stayed at CSR, but I've stayed at all the others and most recently we stayed POFQ last Dec. POFQ is my favorite, it is small and quiet, only one bus stop (unless you get stuck on a bus from Downtown Disney that goes through POR's 5 stops first!). Our room was very close to the dining hall, pool, bus stop and ferry. They showed outdoor movies on the lawn just outside our room as well, though we didn't really have too much time to enjoy that. I just found it more intimate than the others, but not everyone likes that.
Just to clarify, POFQ and POR share bus stops at other times as well, it mostly depends on the projected traffic if a given bus is sharing or not.

However, POFQ and POR have the advantage of a boat ride to DTD to avoid the dreaded bad DTD buses.
reiella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
mtfarlin
Mouseketeer

Love POR for a moderate resort!!!! Beautiful grounds and surroundings and the rooms are very nice. Nice food court with good menu selections and as mentioned before you always have the boat to take to DTD....
mtfarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

To me, csr is the closest moderate to deluxe. The rooms are beautiful, the grounds are relaxing and tranquil, and I really like the food options. There is a lounge and gym if you are interested in those options. I would not pay for water view. We were upgraded to one that was a free upgrade and also a preferred room here. The water view is nice if you spend a lot of one in your room and leave the curtain open. Nobody really does that do I would pass. As for preferred, wouldn't do it either. If you wish to be in a location close to the themed pool preferred is not what you want. Preferred puts you close to the food options. I think a good request is casitas 4 or 5.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #9
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4prez View Post
What better place to ask for advice than from all of you on the DIS. I have looked over the pics, read the resort links, and I even walked some of the property at CSR back in 2010. With that said, I am at an absolute standstill between CSR, POR, POFQ. The problem is I like all three of them.

We will be heading back to WDW after a long 3 year hiatus from "home." Over the past couple of years it's been a long recovery from an serious auto accident for me, the selling of my long time business, a daughter entering high school, future college costs, my mother fighting cancer and a younger brother unexpectantly (45) passing away. Thru it all though, I can still say I am blessed. With all of that said, we are going to have to cut a few corners on this trip. Normally we would just head for our favorite resort, WL, especially during the holiday season.

We will be heading back November 28, 2013 till December 5, 2013. For this trip it will be just my DW and Myself. My DD will be heading down with her high school marching band and staying elsewhere and we would love to see her march in the parade. She would still be in WDW with her friends away from her parents, and mom and dad can have a little time together alone as well.

Alright, I have rambled on long enough; my fellow DIS'ers help me out here. Which moderate should I choose? I want to hear about all the ins and outs. Why you like them and why you would recommend or not recommend it. What locations and rooms would you recommend? Is getting a water or river view worth it? Would you pay to have a preferred location and etc? Even if Disney ends up releasing a promo discount later next year for when we are booked we are still staying moderate this year.
Well, you know what my answer would be!

Seriously, it's the only one we've stayed at because we love it. If we were doing a moderate again and couldn't get CSR, POR-Riverside would be our only other choice (not a fan of POFQ's theme at all).

I think Pop Warner gets moved as far as moderates every year. We will be at CSR in 21 days with the Pop Warner kids.

And, as you and I have talked over the last three years, let me say I am delighted you are going back to Disney, and that things have improved for you and yours.

Last edited by KatMark; 11-15-2012 at 09:47 PM.
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

CSR hands down. I usually stay deluxe but recently tried both POR and CSR .

I found POR to be overcrowded and it really felt like a huge step down from
deluxe, whereas at CSR (other than monorail : boat options to parks) I felt it had a very deluxe feel to it. More relaxed and upscale than other MODs.

I still prefer deluxe but would not hesitate to stay in CSR again
Butterflygirl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #11
Robbi
DIS Veteran

We usually stay either deluxe or because we're DVC members, in a villa. Because we love CSR so much though, we will often book there on weekends because DVC requires more points on Sat. and Sun.. There is nothing about CSR that we don't like.
The others are veryr nice too.
Ranked:
CSR- great transportation, great food, lovely rooms and grounds, queen beds, fairly close to the parks, fantastic staff

POR- Princess themed rooms, boats to DTD, fairly close to parks

POFQ- Queen beds, small resort, very pretty resort, boats to DTD, fairly close to parks

CBR- least favorite- still has double beds, massive resort
While CSR is large, it's easy to walk around, which is not the case at CBR. It does have those fabulous pirate themed rooms though.

FT Wilderness cabins- tons of space, quiet and restful, lots for kids to do, boat to MK, Hoop de Doo Revue and Chip and Dale movies with s'mores
It is more expensive than the other mods.

Last edited by Robbi; 11-16-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:34 AM   #12
goofy4prez
DIS Dads Club Member #484
I hate the Steelers & Ravens like a mother loves a child!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Well, you know what my answer would be!

Seriously, it's the only one we've stayed at because we love it. If we were doing a moderate again and couldn't get CSR, POR-Riverside would be our only other choice (not a fan of POFQ's theme at all).

I think Pop Warner gets moved as far as moderates every year. We will be at CSR in 21 days with the Pop Warner kids.

And, as you and I have talked over the last three years, let me say I am delighted you are going back to Disney, and that things have improved for you and yours.

Kat, your opinion on CSR is one of the big reasons why I am considering CSR. Our last visit to WDW we did walk around CSR to look at the property knowing how much you and Mark enjoy this resort. It was huge, but I have to admit it looked awesome. Also, I thank you for the kind words and support over the last few years, they have meant a lot. By the way I am with you on POFQ, I'm just not excited about the theme either.

I appreciate all the input from everyone as to which moderate to choose. I love the DIS and all of you are incredible. In the words of a great television character, Vinnie Barbarino, "I'm so confused." I guess I'm going to have to really make a decision here in the next few days. I have a feeling either way I will enjoy either one.

I should note though walking is not a problem as a few enquired. My accident has now been over a year ago and I am having no problems and am completely healed. In fact, it helped me to realize I needed to lose weight, make some better health choices, and to get into shape. I am thrilled to say I have lost 114 pounds the healthy way and at 48 years old I am in the best shape of my life.

Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs
goofy4prez is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: