Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
neworleans_ray
Mouseketeer

OKW questions

we are staying at OWK our first time, my mom is 68 and not a fan of stairs and we will also have a 15 month old. What building should we request that is near to bus stop and has elevator? Is first floor rooms bad, I have read there are musty smelling. we are going in february and have a 2br. any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 11-14-2012, 05:28 AM   #2
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

We've stayed in a 2 bedroom, on cash and wanted close to the HH.... Didn't happen.... Those buildings are about reserved for DVC members and for non-DVC guests hard to get...

Elevators at other buildings are non existent ... We were in building 54, no elevator, 3rd floor and with an infant, stroller and all the stuff required... Total pain , let alone getting all our stuff up to the room, luggage and groceries!

Though the villa was wonderful, all the logistics of the resort made our stay not too comfortable and we will not return... taking a bus to refill a mug, a bus to the main pool or to get food is not convenient.... This resort maybe great for others but for us, it just wasn't convenient for our stay, and we've done over 45 trips to WDW... We'll go back to our tried and true resorts from now on...good luck on your trip!

DIS Dads Club Member

Last edited by pepe of ohio; 11-14-2012 at 05:33 AM.
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2012, 06:36 AM   #3
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

There are only three buildings with elevators at OKW, 60, 61 & 62.

There are four different bus stops around the resort so it is easy to get a unit near one of the stops.

I've never noticed a problem with the condition or smell of ground floor as compared to upper floors.

I'd suggest you simply request "ground floor room near bus stop" for your stay.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by neworleans_ray View Post
we are staying at OWK our first time, my mom is 68 and not a fan of stairs and we will also have a 15 month old. What building should we request that is near to bus stop and has elevator? Is first floor rooms bad, I have read there are musty smelling. we are going in february and have a 2br. any advice is greatly appreciated!
I've stayed in the first floor many times with no issues. There are only 3 buildings with elevators - 62, 63, 64. I would request elevator building or first floor. I stayed in a third floor 2 bedroom once, it's a long way up with no elevator.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Unless you're renting a car, I'd stay somewhere else, especially with a 68-year-old and a 15-month-old in your group. You're potentially looking at a lot of walking and a lot of bus nonsense..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: