Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
TChrist05
DIS Veteran

We need to vent - no flames please.

Hello fellow cruisers....my DW and I need to vent a little. We are booked on the 12/1 sailing of the Fantasy. This cruise will be our 30th on DCL so obviously we are Platinum cruisers. We were origionally booked in a category 11 but last January I changed it to a category 9A but at that time their was no availability in that category so we had to take GTY. We finally received our room assignment last week and were assigned 7006 - which is all the way forward on the ship and a category 9D. Let me state that we have never gotten an upgrade on any of our cruises--not once. I spoke with DCL because we were assigned the 9D and we had a 9A GTY. Was told that they could assign any stateroom in a category 9, which I did not think was correct. I sent an e-mail to DCL guest reservations and received an e-mail back from Wilma stating the rules of GTY and if I wanted to upgrade I could at the port for an additional charge. In addition, I stated my opinion of how DCL has continually taken things away from the Platinum cruisers and how I feel that after all the cruises we have taken, not once have we ever gotten an upgrade. I responded back to her telling her I feel that when I read on our Disboards how people have cruised once or twice and then get an upgrade, what does that say to the people who have sailed many times with them. I received a call this morning from a supervisor on DCL who wanted to let me know how they value us and he has heard the same complaint from other Platinum cruisers but as a matter of policy DCL does not give our upgrades to anyone unless the room category they booked is not available. I chose not to have a debate with him on this policy although I suggested they look at it and maybe change it. My DW and I enjoy our experience on each and every cruise and I have always said I don't care where I sleep as long as we are on the ship. I just think that they should try to occasionally reward people who have sailed so many times--and I know their are many people who have sailed many more times than us. Obviously this is my opinion and I am sure so agree with me and some disagree--but even the supermarket rewards people who shop frequently with little bonuses.
Thanks for listening.
TChrist05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
wildel1021
Mouseketeer

Smile

Well said
wildel1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
luv2cruisedisney
Mouseketeer

No Flame here

I hope you feel better now that you have made a few phone calls and posted here.

I am sending some pixie dust that you and the DW fall into the upgrade pile this time ( hopefully the supervisor makes it happen)
Old 11-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
jlemieu1
DIS Veteran

At 30th cruises there can't be too many more that have cruised DCL than you.
Just a thought, Disney should invest a little bit more money in their customer loyality program. Speaking from the airline software industry, there are loyality programs that work for them. Now several European rail services are using the airline software system.

ps. I'm betting your reservation has a special note on it now, pixie dust might be coming.
.... many other .....
10/01 - RCL - VoS 3nts. - honeymoon
09/00 - MK - Proposal
jlemieu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlemieu1 View Post
Just a thought, Disney should invest a little bit more money in their customer loyality program. Speaking from the airline software industry, there are loyality programs that work for them. Now several European rail services are using the airline software system.

ps. I'm betting your reservation has a special note on it now, pixie dust might be coming.
And how healthy is the airline industry?

Mike

To the OP, I hope you enjoy your cruise.
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
Happy99
DIS Veteran

Question for the OP

Did you book the cruise before the category 9 rooms were re-categorized? If this was the case then maybe the 9D was what you originally booked and not the 9A that it was changed due to the re-categorization

Not sure when you booked but this could explain why you were given a 9D. If not I would keep fighting this by email and calling and keep escalating the call.
Happy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
Weedy
DIS Veteran

You need to ask for information in writing the rules for GTY. I don't think they can downgrade you.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
jlemieu1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MND View Post
And how healthy is the airline industry?
Not to drag this off topic again, legacy carriers are not doing well because legacy cost but low cost carriers are doing very well.
.... many other .....
10/01 - RCL - VoS 3nts. - honeymoon
09/00 - MK - Proposal
jlemieu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildel1021 View Post
Well said
Indeed!
Old 11-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I can understand the *gt rates being lower than what others have paid for regular bookings. The *GTs have restrictions which not all people will find acceptable. However, I too have a problem with those bookings being upgraded before "full fare" bookings. It just seems there is something amiss in the system. But then, I felt the same way about CM, TA, etc. rates.

DCL has downgraded the higher CC levels so much that I don't think it is worth doing an onboard booking unless I'm looking at something like a holiday cruise. If there is an "off season" cruise that I'm thinking about, I KNOW I can probably get a better deal with the *GT.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #11
castaway3
Second star to the right

There is no way if you booked a 9a can they give you a 9d...they are only allowed to go up from your original booked room...now if you just booked a gty. cat. 9 then you are at the luck of the draw. I just spoke to a CM at DCL about the same thing and they can only upgrade you UP not down. I would call back. Good luck.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #12
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

Are you 100% SURE that you booked at Category 9A GTY and not just a Category 9GTY? If you booked just a category 9 then they can put you in any category 9 room.

The upgrades are based upon when booking were don't and what rooms they would like to fill... You should NEVER expect an upgrade or feel entitled to one... they should be 100% surprise and pixie dust.

I would be sure to double check all of your documents before you call DCL again.

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #13
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TChrist05
Hello fellow cruisers....my DW and I need to vent a little. We are booked on the 12/1 sailing of the Fantasy. This cruise will be our 30th on DCL so obviously we are Platinum cruisers. We were origionally booked in a category 11 but last January I changed it to a category 9A but at that time their was no availability in that category so we had to take GTY. We finally received our room assignment last week and were assigned 7006 - which is all the way forward on the ship and a category 9D. Let me state that we have never gotten an upgrade on any of our cruises--not once. I spoke with DCL because we were assigned the 9D and we had a 9A GTY. Was told that they could assign any stateroom in a category 9, which I did not think was correct. I sent an e-mail to DCL guest reservations and received an e-mail back from Wilma stating the rules of GTY and if I wanted to upgrade I could at the port for an additional charge. In addition, I stated my opinion of how DCL has continually taken things away from the Platinum cruisers and how I feel that after all the cruises we have taken, not once have we ever gotten an upgrade. I responded back to her telling her I feel that when I read on our Disboards how people have cruised once or twice and then get an upgrade, what does that say to the people who have sailed many times with them. I received a call this morning from a supervisor on DCL who wanted to let me know how they value us and he has heard the same complaint from other Platinum cruisers but as a matter of policy DCL does not give our upgrades to anyone unless the room category they booked is not available. I chose not to have a debate with him on this policy although I suggested they look at it and maybe change it. My DW and I enjoy our experience on each and every cruise and I have always said I don't care where I sleep as long as we are on the ship. I just think that they should try to occasionally reward people who have sailed so many times--and I know their are many people who have sailed many more times than us. Obviously this is my opinion and I am sure so agree with me and some disagree--but even the supermarket rewards people who shop frequently with little bonuses.
Thanks for listening.
I agree with you completely 100%!!!
I hope they do something to make this a little bit better for you

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #14
mr.b
Mouseketeer

wish you luck

Read you're post, and wish you the best of luck. Hope the DCL upgrades you. We are heading out on our 12th DCL cruise, and we bow in awe to you're 30 cruises.
mr.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #15
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Totally agree.

I was really irritated on the 2010 trans-Atlantic to find that one of my dinner tablemates was on her second DCL cruise (first being 10 years before and having cruised many other lines in between--she was totally confused as to how DCL did many things). We had essentially the same booking except that mine had a rebooking on board discount and the ship had MANY unsold cabins. Bottom line, she got upgraded (inside to oceanview) and I did not. My point is not that I am somehow entitled to an upgrade, but that if there is one to be given, perhaps the loyalty of 20+ cruises at that time should count more than someone on their second cruise. I also let my TA know what I thought of the situation.

Don't know if it made any difference, but on my next cruise, I was upgraded.

I understand that DCL hands out upgrades when they to fit their needs, but totally agree that previous cruises should be one of the factors used to determine who gets the pixie dust. I was told that DCL feels they are more likely to "upsell" silver CC members on their next cruise by showing them how nice the oceanview or verandah cabins are while they feel that platinums probably have already experienced these at some point and are making a conscious choice to purchase a less costly cabin. Yeah, well....in my example above, we were both paying the single supplement--that probably had a lot to do with choosing to not buy a more costly cabin!

Now...do I understand that you booked and paid for a 9A and they gave you a 9D and tried to tell you that is OK??? no way! At least they owe you the price difference between a 9A and a 9D. They are not the same category!

Last edited by kcashner; 11-13-2012 at 11:15 AM.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: