Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
slucas3
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1

First disney trip

Can someone tell me what are some key parks to go see for i have 3 children ages 13,11, and 7. This is there first trip to disney and i don't know what package to get and if i should add dining option or if thats just a money maker. I was told its cheaper to get a villa . What r ur thoughts? First
slucas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH
 
WILDERNESS FAN 55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 839

Quote:
Originally Posted by slucas3 View Post
Can someone tell me what are some key parks to go see for i have 3 children ages 13,11, and 7. This is there first trip to disney and i don't know what package to get and if i should add dining option or if thats just a money maker. I was told its cheaper to get a villa . What r ur thoughts? First
Is there 4 or 5 of you for this vacation? How much do you want to spend on a room ? Also what time of year ? (this is for the swimming option) IMO Dining plan doesn't work well unless you eat A LOT !
__________________
We're not the only people on this Island and we all know it!

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Poly 87 GF 88 CR 90 CBR 91-06-10
Disney Inn 93 ASM 95-96-02 CS 98
POFQ 97 DIXIE Landing 00 POR 07-08 WL-11
DL-Honeymoon-77 03 OKW -13 BLT-13 BWV-13
Trips planned 2015 WDW 2016 Aulani 2017 WDW XMAS
WILDERNESS FAN 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
MrShiny
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 2,310

Well, you have a lot of research ahead of you! These are not easy questions and depend a lot on your preferences. The 7 year old will definitely want to do Magic Kingdom, so mae that a priority. New Fantasyland is opening. The Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom game might appeal to your older kids too.

Hollywood Studios has the most thrilling rides of WDW with Rock 'n Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror, and also the great newly revamped Star Tours, great for thrill seekers or any Star Wars fan.

Animal lovers will of course love Animal Kingdom (we usually end up spending a day there - but if you are not the type that could spend all day at a zoo, a half day might be enough to do all the "non-zoo" things - also has a great coaster, Expedition Everest.

Epcot is one of our kid's favorites (now 14 and 18), but some find it less exciting for kids. It too though has the just about to be reopened Test Track and Mission Space for thrills. Also, Soarin' is one of the best rides at all the parks.

If you kids like Harry Potter, at least an afternoon/evening to Universal's Island's of Adventure is worth it.

When we do a long trip, we try for at least 2 days at MK and Epcot, and .5-1 day at AK, DHS and IoA.

The dining plan depends on how much you eat. If you like sit down meals, it does save money, but of course you need to manage it to make sure you aren't going over and that you are charged correctly (a frequent problem). We usually end up with a fridge full of desserts from counter service lunch back at the room.

At pretty much every time of year, the sit down restuarants get crowded, so best to make at least one reservation ("ADR") per day if you want a sit down meal. Character meals (especially Princess ones) and new restaurants (like Be Our Guest) can fill quickly, so booking at 180 days out is not at all extreme (that's the earliest you can book).

Villas are a good deal - especially if you rent points from a DVC member. Also, Art of Animation has family suites that give you a little more room at a great price.
__________________
Last trip:
BCV June 2014

Next trips:
Disney Fantasy - 25th Anniversary
Sept.-Oct. 2014

COMMON Annual Meeting
Disneyland Hotel April 2015
MrShiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
 
Deb & Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 44,647

Quote:
Originally Posted by slucas3 View Post
Can someone tell me what are some key parks to go see for i have 3 children ages 13,11, and 7. This is there first trip to disney and i don't know what package to get and if i should add dining option or if thats just a money maker. I was told its cheaper to get a villa . What r ur thoughts? First
I would never rent a DVC reservation from a member for my first trip. Just like I would never get the dining plan on my very first trip. I think you need to experience WDW before you start getting outside the comfort zone.

Most first timers do not understand the need to book any table service restaurants ahead of time. And if you get the dining plan and don't understand the need to book ahead of time, you show up and can't use your dining credits.

Read the books, hit the websites find out as much as possible ahead of time and plan that you will probably go again in the future to do the other things.
__________________
Deb - DVC Member since '97
OKW and VWL Homes

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
JeanfromBNA
"Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming!"
 
JeanfromBNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,061

I recommend that you pick up The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World, 2013, and read relevant sections before you buy anything, and certainly before you go.
__________________
Jean
____________________________

1995 Disney Institute Treehouses 2005 Wilderness Lodge 2007 Yacht Club 2008 Coronado Springs 2008 Beach Club 2009 Grand Floridian 2009 Disney Wonder
2009 Disney Wonder 2009 Polynesian Resort 2011 Coronado Springs 2011 Portofino Bay Hotel UO 2012 Old Key West October, 2012, Proud new DVC AKL Kidani owners!May, 2013 Disney DreamSeptember, 2013 AulaniMarch, 2014 BWV October, 2014 AKV
JeanfromBNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:49 AM   #6
Jousey
Dis Dad #694
All I can think of is a pole dancer
Is there a pill for this condition or do I just keep up the cycle of going to Disney
 
Jousey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Miwaukee, Wi
Posts: 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanfromBNA View Post
I recommend that you pick up The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World, 2013, and read relevant sections before you buy anything, and certainly before you go.
Great Idea, maybe the hidden Mickey book as well it will give you some seek and find fun to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Just like I would never get the dining plan on my very first trip. I think you need to experience WDW before you start getting outside the comfort zone.

Most first timers do not understand the need to book any table service restaurants ahead of time. And if you get the dining plan and don't understand the need to book ahead of time, you show up and can't use your dining credits.

Read the books, hit the websites find out as much as possible ahead of time and plan that you will probably go again in the future to do the other things.
I agree with the above, if you are new to Disney it can be a challedge to get understand the DDP and the complexities of the parks. YOu want to enjoy the visit not be running around stressed about where you can and can not eat on the DDP.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShiny View Post
Well, you have a lot of research ahead of you! These are not easy questions and depend a lot on your preferences. The 7 year old will definitely want to do Magic Kingdom, so mae that a priority. New Fantasyland is opening. The Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom game might appeal to your older kids too.

Hollywood Studios has the most thrilling rides of WDW with Rock 'n Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror, and also the great newly revamped Star Tours, great for thrill seekers or any Star Wars fan.

Animal lovers will of course love Animal Kingdom (we usually end up spending a day there - but if you are not the type that could spend all day at a zoo, a half day might be enough to do all the "non-zoo" things - also has a great coaster, Expedition Everest.

Epcot is one of our kid's favorites (now 14 and 18), but some find it less exciting for kids. It too though has the just about to be reopened Test Track and Mission Space for thrills. Also, Soarin' is one of the best rides at all the parks.

If you kids like Harry Potter, at least an afternoon/evening to Universal's Island's of Adventure is worth it.

When we do a long trip, we try for at least 2 days at MK and Epcot, and .5-1 day at AK, DHS and IoA.

The dining plan depends on how much you eat. If you like sit down meals, it does save money, but of course you need to manage it to make sure you aren't going over and that you are charged correctly (a frequent problem). We usually end up with a fridge full of desserts from counter service lunch back at the room.

At pretty much every time of year, the sit down restuarants get crowded, so best to make at least one reservation ("ADR") per day if you want a sit down meal. Character meals (especially Princess ones) and new restaurants (like Be Our Guest) can fill quickly, so booking at 180 days out is not at all extreme (that's the earliest you can book).

Villas are a good deal - especially if you rent points from a DVC member. Also, Art of Animation has family suites that give you a little more room at a great price.
Some very good insite here and a good overview of the parks. i would agree MK is a must and a day or two at Epcot with atleast a Day at DHS is a good plan. AK, we do in a few hours maybe a half day.

I sujest you maybe talk to a Disney Travel Agent as well or if you have AAA talk to them, you dont have to necesarly book with them but the insight maybe helpful going forward. And they can help navigate some of the planning to help keep the stress level down.
__________________
ME , DW, DS4 & The Dog

Jousey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 24,302
DISboards Moderator

Moved from DVC Forums.
__________________
Best Wishes -



BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.