Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
daughtersrus
DIS Veteran

Need to find a new cell phone provider. Tell me about Sprint.

US Cellular is leaving the Chicago area in the next few months. They are selling off to Sprint.

Needless to say, I'm not happy. We've had US Cellular for several years and have never had a problem. Where other people can't get service, we have never had a problem. We have a family plan where 3 phones have "Easyedge" which is like internet without all the bells and whistles and the other two phones have full data. My DDs just upgraded their phones to smart phones and now those phones will be useless.

I'm sure that we'll be paying quite a bit more than we are now since we'll all have to have data plans if we want to access email, social media...instead of Easyedge.

No sales in the Chicago market but they're keeping their corp office here as well as US Cellular Field where the White Sox play.
daughtersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
RitaE
DIS Veteran

You might want to head over to HowardForums and ask and commiserate. They are the cell phone experts.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...kets-to-Sprint

I was always under the impression that US Cellular was largely using the Verizon network but maybe I'm wrong. But if that is true I'd start by scoping out Verizon and their MVNO re-sellers like PagePlus because your the reception should be similar. I thought that you could also activate US Cellular CDMA phones on Verizon and PagePlus etc? You might want to ask that also.

Are they going to force you to change your phones and contract terms with the sale? If not, I'd just let the contract run out and then make your decision.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

My understanding is that in home markets US Cellular operated their own towers and infrastructure. They had roaming agreements with other cellular providers for roaming outside of those home markets. They weren't an MVNO and it looks like they did operate their own network in Chicago.

If you liked their service you would probably be best off staying with Sprint as I believe their infrastructure will be rolled into Sprint's. If you'd like to get advice from cellular experts check out the forum linked above. They are the first place I go to find information on mobile anything.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Whatever you do, DO NOT GET SPRINT!!!!!!

I have Verizon for my personal cell (and have for about 15 years since they bought whoever it used to be) and I have Sprint for my work cell phone. I used to have AT&T for work. I have never had such horrible awful terrible and completely unacceptable service as I do with Sprint. I drop calls constantly, half the time I have no service. It's embarrassing because this is my work phone and I am constantly having to apologize for dropping calls. It isn't like it's just in one place either. It's everywhere! My job requires me to travel the whole states of IL and IN as well as trips to Detroit and Austin. Also, I have been in Florida, Seattle and Wisconsin recently. I have terrible service everywhere with Sprint. Corn fields, cities, my own house, doesn't matter.

It's cheap for a reason and there's no end in sight. They keep promising to fix their towers but it's like a 2 year plan and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets extended (again). My firm is leaving Sprint when our contract ends and that can't come soon enough!!

Princess on the Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

My sister has Sprint and an Iphone and has no issues with service or dropped calls. My husband has ATT and an Iphone and drops calls and has issues signals constantly (ATT is through his job) I have Tmobile and my plan is cheap and I never have signal or dropped calls issues. I have the SG III.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
Jaya
DIS Veteran

I've had Sprint for a few years and won't be renewing my contract. Reasons: many dropped calls and other problems (their usual answer to any complaint is "that couldn't happen"). Their customer service has been usually polite (outside of one really rude agent), but not especially helpful. I can't recommend Sprint.
Jaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
msflowers1963
Earning My Ears

I have to agree with Princess on the Run, DO NOT GET SPRINT!! They are outrageous and will bill you for things that they never told you about. Their service is not that great and their customer service HA! Forget it. I went with several companies before settling down with Verizon. Best deal, great customer service and best of all SIGNAL everywhere!!!
msflowers1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: