Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #1
bankgirl05
DIS Veteran

Would this bother you?

I also posted on the resorts board:

We are here now, actually have been here for 5 days, and I have had to call housekeeping 3 times about our room, mainly the bathroom area not being cleaned properly.

When we checked in there was some dirt/dust loose toilet tissue and a bottle cap on the floor behind the toilet.A coffee spill in the grout under the sink, and various white paint drips on the floor in the bathroom/vanity area. Dirt dust and hair, not belonging to us in the corners etc.

I called mentioned all of the above thing, and asked for extra towels.
I got the extra towels.

Day 2 I called again, and also mentioned the ice makers (all 3) in our building weren't working, plus our ice bucket had water in it left over from the previous guest! ( we dumped and cleaned that because we wanted to use it, but had to trek all the way down to the next building for ice.)

Day 3 we headed to the park, when we got back, there was still all of the above, plus a toothpaste blob on the counter (darn kids) and smear on the inside rim of the sink. They said they would send someone down while we were at the pool.

When we got back, the bottle cap was gone, along with the toothpaste blob, but not the smear.

This is disheartening to me when we return to our room, weary and tired. I want to see things clean, not want to clean them myself!!!!

Also, my kids have been super disappointed because there have been no towel animals!!! not one! not even the towel Mickey head that is usually on the bed when we check in. I know these aren't a neccessity, but they always added to the magic. We got spoiled last year with a different one each day.

I want to say, I have been tipping our house keeper 4-6 dollars each day, but I am seriously considering putting anend to that.

Should I bother to go to the front desk to complain?

We check out Saturday.
WWYD?
bankgirl05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
prayx
Earning My Ears

First of all, I would be upset too. I would personally ask to speak to a manager face to face. Better results. Take a picture of what you see and show it to them. Nothing speaks better than a picture. Lastly, stop the tips.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
prayx is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #3
momof3ds
Mouseketeer

Towel animals or no towel animals wouldn't bother me. We never got any.

Why would you tip at all?

Take pics and go speak to a manager in person.
momof3ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
Kdouglas
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3ds View Post
Towel animals or no towel animals wouldn't bother me. We never got any.

Why would you tip at all?

Take pics and go speak to a manager in person.
^This. They wouldn't see a cent from me with service like that.
Kdouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
katie111
DIS Veteran

I think part of the problem with Disney is that you can't just call the front desk and get an issue resolved like you can do at almost any other hotel. Everyone says to go to the front desk & speak to a manager but that's not always the easiest thing to do. You're at Disney, you want to spending time in the parks, not waiting at the front desk while they track down a manager.

We had horrible service on our last trip to POR. Our room keys wouldn't work on our first night night (late) so we had to schlep to the front desk to get new ones. Me & 3 very tired kids. We get there & after about a 1/2 hour wait we get new keys. Go back to our room, & they don't work. Go back to front desk. Another 1/2 hour wait. Maintenance comes with us & gets us in our room. Next night the same deal. We go back to the front desk ask to speak to a manager. About 1/2 later one finally is "available". After standing there for over an hour, they finally realize that the first CM had switched my room in their system & the keys they kept giving me were for the "new" room. This was after arguing with the manager about what room I was actually staying in. By now its about 11 at night (after coming back to the hotel at 9). I am alone with 3 kids who are completely losing it and I'm about to lose it. We have a dirty room & still no pack n play after asking about it for 2 nights (it was put in our "new" room). Finally the mess is straightened out & I was offered one night comp off my stay. I appreciated the gesture but what a nightmare. Totally exhausted kids for 2 days of our vacation.

Bottom line is that Disney needs to find a way so that you can actually get in touch with the front desk of your hotel. Waiting in those ridiculous lines to correct "their" mistakes is just not fair. I know things happen but they need a better way to correct them.
Off site 2008

Wilderness Lodge 2008
Caribbean Beach 2009

Off site 2010
POR 2010, Swan 2011
All Star Music/Movies 2012
Wyndham Bonnet Creek 2013
katie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
*Seanaci*
DIS-obsessed and proud!

My take: sounds like you just had a housekeeper whose heart wasn't in her job while you were there. I am surprised however that speaking to a manager at the front desk got you no where. Especially at Disney. When we had luggage missing upon arrival 4 years ago, the manager went above and beyond to help us resolve the issue even offering to pay for a taxi to the nearest Walmart so we could buy extra clothes (until the suitcase was found) for our trip. Luckily, our suitcase turned about within a matter of hours. We were just thankful for the attentiveness we received during our panic time.

I would send in the pictures you took because if you could write in the dust and clearly see that you wrote "dirt/dust" it means it's been there for some time...possibly even prior to the previous guests in the room (unless the room hadn't been used in a while, in which case, they probably didn't know it was there).

Me(34), DH(43), DS(6), DM(56), DG(61)
*Seanaci* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #7
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

I would double the tips immediately and stop stirring up trouble.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
I would double the tips immediately and stop stirring up trouble.
Oops! this is a resort thread too - but I would personally do opposite of this - not necessarily stir trouble, but WOULD report dirty room
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #9
Graciesmom77
DIS Veteran

I would complain to a manager face to face and I wouldn't tip again until the room was up to your standards.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #10
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

I agree with the face to face. We found that calling got us no where while going to the front desk and asking for a manager got the issues fixed.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

We have never received a towel animal. Those can't be expected.

You want housekeeping to clean paint drips? Isn't that a bit overboard?

I think you are being very picky.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:17 AM   #12
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

I also think your complaints are valid. When I arrive in a hotel room I don't want 'souvenirs' from previous guests. I don't think it's too much to ask for their hair, bottle caps, coffee spills and melted ice to be removed before you arrive.
Unlike others, I also don't think it's asking too much for a few toothpaste smears to be wiped away. I don't know what it's like in the U.S., but here in NZ it's generally expected that sinks will get a full wipe down each day when the room is cleaned. My family would never intentionally make a mess around the sink and are generally very tidy travelers. However when we are paying for the luxury of not having to clean for a week or two, if there is a bit of toothpaste or soap scum lying around the sink I would hope it would get cleaned away.
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #13
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

yes, OP, i'd be bothered by the state of the room as well (we rarely get towel animals, so i don't even think about that). not sure where you're staying, but, on our last trip (in september, one night, for DD15's birthday), we stayed at POP, and, when we got to our room (we checked in about 7:00am), it was obvious it had either not been cleaned, or was just given a swipe and a promise. there were no clean towels, dried urine on the toilet seat, the floor obviously hadn't been vacuumed, and there was trash on the table from the previous guests. unfortunately, i didn't notice any of this until we got back to our room that night, so we had to call housekeeping for towels (and the person on the phone sounded REALLY put out that we expected to be brought towels so we could shower), and i had to clean the toilet seat and throw away the trash myself.

now, in the grand scheme of things, only the dirty toilet seat is a really big deal; however, i pay more to stay on disney property-if i wanted to stay at an obviously dirty hotel, i could pay much less.

i will say, we've stayed at POP 7-8 times, and this was the first time our room had ever been less than spotless.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #14
Mom23Disneybelievers
DIS Veteran

I do not think that a clean room is an unreasonable expectation. Towel animals are an extra, so they shouldn't be expected. Ice machines are unrelated-an issue to be mentioned at the front desk.

I do not like clutter or things out of place, especially when staying in a hotel room with limited space. I do not keep things laying around on the counter tops or night table etc.. If you walk into the room, you can barely tell that a family is staying in the room. Everything is put away and neat. With that said, it becomes very obvious when the room is not cleaned well. That is my tip for ensuring a good cleaning from houskeeping or mousekeeping.

My suggestion would be to go to the front desk with pics in hand from your cell to show them. Also- no tipping needed in this case. No tip earned IMO. No matter what the response is from the front desk- let it go and enjoy your vacation. Don't let a negative situation distract you from the point of being on vacation.

Mom23Disneybelievers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #15
ladybug0506
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankgirl05 View Post
I also posted on the resorts board:

We are here now, actually have been here for 5 days, and I have had to call housekeeping 3 times about our room, mainly the bathroom area not being cleaned properly.

When we checked in there was some dirt/dust loose toilet tissue and a bottle cap on the floor behind the toilet.A coffee spill in the grout under the sink, and various white paint drips on the floor in the bathroom/vanity area. Dirt dust and hair, not belonging to us in the corners etc.

I called mentioned all of the above thing, and asked for extra towels.
I got the extra towels.

Day 2 I called again, and also mentioned the ice makers (all 3) in our building weren't working, plus our ice bucket had water in it left over from the previous guest! ( we dumped and cleaned that because we wanted to use it, but had to trek all the way down to the next building for ice.)

Day 3 we headed to the park, when we got back, there was still all of the above, plus a toothpaste blob on the counter (darn kids) and smear on the inside rim of the sink. They said they would send someone down while we were at the pool.

When we got back, the bottle cap was gone, along with the toothpaste blob, but not the smear.

This is disheartening to me when we return to our room, weary and tired. I want to see things clean, not want to clean them myself!!!!

Also, my kids have been super disappointed because there have been no towel animals!!! not one! not even the towel Mickey head that is usually on the bed when we check in. I know these aren't a neccessity, but they always added to the magic. We got spoiled last year with a different one each day.

I want to say, I have been tipping our house keeper 4-6 dollars each day, but I am seriously considering putting anend to that.

Should I bother to go to the front desk to complain?

We check out Saturday.
WWYD?
I was just wondering, what did you decide to do? What was the outcome? Did things get better?
ladybug0506 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: