Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

WWYD: One night at Wilderness Lodge or two nights at Coronado Springs?

DH, DS and I are spending a weekend in December at Disney World to experience a bit of Christmas at the World. Right now we are booked at WL for one night, but we could spend two nights at CSR for $40 more.

A couple of notes:
  • We've never stayed at either resort. I initially chose WL because I've read it feels the most inviting during the holiday season.
  • We won't go into the parks at all. This trip is primarily to check out the Christmas decorations at the resorts, especially the Magic Kingdom-area and Epcot-area resorts. I might make an ADR or two (depending on how long we stay), and we'll probably do a bit of Christmas shopping.
I really love the idea of staying at another deluxe, but if we stay moderate, we get another night at the Happiest Place on Earth. Which would you choose?

Thanksgiving 1988, Offsite * June 1991, Beach Club * Easter 1995, Dixie Landings * June 1999, All-Star Movies * Easter 2005, Offsite * September 2007, Caribbean Beach * October 2008, Lake Buena Vista Best Western * May 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * October 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * April 2010, Port Orleans French Quarter * May 2012, Port Orleans French Quarter (Read our trip report here!) * October 2013, Wilderness Lodge
Elleshoodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
3boys4me
DIS Veteran

How about 2 nights at Wilderness Lodge . I would do 2 nights at Coronado Springs. I think if you are going for the Christmas atmosphere that WL would be best, but you will do alot more over 2 nights.

11/2004 All Star Movies
11/2005 POFQ
11/2008 Coronado Springs
11/2009 Coronado Springs
11/2010 Caribbean Beach Resort
03/2011 POP, 11/2011 POP
11/2012 AoA, 11/2013 POP
11/2014 ASSP
3boys4me is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

I'm probably in the minority, but I would choose one night at the WL. The WL is an awesome resort and is just amazing when all decorated for the holidays. The lobby is beautiful and has a cozy feel with the huge fireplace in the center surrounded by rocking chairs . We love the WL and would choose it over a moderate that time of year. It's also very convenient for visiting the CR, Poly, & GF as it's a quick boat ride to the CR where you can hop on the monorail to get to the Poly and GF .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
TDluvsDaisy
DVC Member BCV & VGF

2 nights at Coronado. Since you are going to view the resorts anyway you might as well have more time to do it. One day will be rushed.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I would definitely do two nights at the CSR, and then spend an hour or two touring the WL for the Christmas festivities.

RIP Genie
KatMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Miffy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
I'm probably in the minority, but I would choose one night at the WL. The WL is an awesome resort and is just amazing when all decorated for the holidays. The lobby is beautiful and has a cozy feel with the huge fireplace in the center surrounded by rocking chairs . We love the WL and would choose it over a moderate that time of year. It's also very convenient for visiting the CR, Poly, & GF as it's a quick boat ride to the CR where you can hop on the monorail to get to the Poly and GF .
This. If you stay at CSR, you'll be doing a lot more traveling to get to the monorail resorts and WL. And WL is awesome at Christmastime. Also, you're near Ft. Wilderness, which is also awesome at Christmastime!

You're not doing the parks, but you might want to see fireworks. The fireworks viewing area at the CR is a short boat ride from WL and a long trip from CSR. Also, at WL, you get the Electrical Water Pageant.

Last edited by Miffy; 11-05-2012 at 01:02 PM. Reason: additional info
Miffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .

Two nights at CSR. Even if you don't have a car, you could take the CSR bus to MK and hop on the monorail to tour the MK resorts. You can do all the MK resorts in a day and still see the Electric Water Pageant and fireworks. You don't have to be staying near MK to enjoy the fireworks or EWP, and nothing is a long trip from CSR. CSR has very efficient bus service - you wouldn't spend appreciably more time on the bus than you would the WL boat. And you will still have one extra night to see everything else.

WL does not offer an advantage for the Epcot resorts since the monorail goes to the front of Epcot and you can't walk through without a ticket. Whether you choose WL or CSR, I'd take a bus to DHS and take the boat to the Boardwalk area (if you don't have a car and don't want to take a taxi). The CSR bus trip to DHS would likely be shorter than the WL trip since CSR doesn't share buses with other resorts.

WL is supposed to have a beautiful lobby at Christmas, so I would schedule a visit there, but I wouldn't want to just hang out there if the intent of the trip is to see the other resorts too. An extra night would allow you to make another ADR and see everything at a more relaxed pace (and have more time to shop!).
StitchandPooh'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the input, everyone. You all made some valid points.

We will have our car since we only live a couple of hours away, so I'm not worried about getting around on property.

I didn't think about the Electrical Water Pageant or possibly catching the fireworks from Wilderness Lodge. That makes it even more appealing!

But we love really exploring the resorts and taking long, relaxing weekends, so we probably will go with Coronado Springs. As much as we'd like to do two nights at WL, it unfortunately isn't in the budget right now.

Thanksgiving 1988, Offsite * June 1991, Beach Club * Easter 1995, Dixie Landings * June 1999, All-Star Movies * Easter 2005, Offsite * September 2007, Caribbean Beach * October 2008, Lake Buena Vista Best Western * May 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * October 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * April 2010, Port Orleans French Quarter * May 2012, Port Orleans French Quarter (Read our trip report here!) * October 2013, Wilderness Lodge
Old 11-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
june@imsarc.com
DIS Veteran

I would rent DVC points from somebody sellng and try to stay two nights at the WL villas. That is a fabulous resort, and if you are not going to the parks, there is plenty there to do and see there. I LOVE the WL, and I bet it is even more spectacular at Christmas time!

june@imsarc.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #10
dreamcruiser
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
Me too, MickeyNut1! I love that lobby and especially at Christmas!
dreamcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #11
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasiaMagic View Post
As much as I would want to spend more time in WDW, I think I would have to go with WL. Esp is I wasnt doing any parks - just hanging out at different resorts during the holiday season. Like pps have said its very easy to get to other monrail reosrts from WL - by taking the boat. I also hear WL does wonderful christmas decorations - oh how i would love to see that!!

Have a great trip!

-FantasiaMagic
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Have you checked as to whether you can get PORiverside. We stayed there for a night before our DVC trip and I love the new rooms. It is also centrally located between the resorts you will want to visit for the decorations.
We've stayed at Riverside and French Quarter before (those are our "home" resorts) and were hoping to try something new. I love the new rooms, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzznina View Post
I would do the 2 nights, since you have a car it's easy to get to any resort. I really feel you will feel rushed to see the resorts and end up not spending enough time enjoying the sights. I would plan 1 night to watch the fireworks and water parade from Poly beach. Take your time and enjoy. Also remember if you pay for valid at a deluxe resort it is good all day even at the other resorts. CSR is not really far from anything, so not really a big deal. Just my 2 cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink415 View Post
I would stay 2 nights at CSR. 1 night goes by much too quickly!! Don't forget CSR is also decorated beautifully at Christmas time. Using the valet service to park your car at the deluxe resorts is a great idea too (but it does cost $14 + tip per day). Make sure you get a ticket / receipt so you can valet at a 2nd resort without paying another fee... sometimes they forget.
Thanks for the tips. I didn't know that about valet!

Old 11-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #12
ChristineNic
Mouseketeer

I'd check out the prices for Swan and Dolphin too. You may be able to do two nights deluxe level for around the same price.
ChristineNic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #13
FantasiaMagic
DIS Veteran

As much as I would want to spend more time in WDW, I think I would have to go with WL. Esp is I wasnt doing any parks - just hanging out at different resorts during the holiday season. Like pps have said its very easy to get to other monrail reosrts from WL - by taking the boat. I also hear WL does wonderful christmas decorations - oh how i would love to see that!!

Have a great trip!

-FantasiaMagic

AKV Kidani August 2012 TR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2975354
FantasiaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: