Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
Pooh's Pixie
The joy I get seeing those little red envelopes in the mail really speaks to how unexciting my life is!

Half marathon Qs

A group of friends are thinking about training for next year's half-marathon. I am not a runner although I am in decent shape and work out 5-6 days a week. Did I see somewhere that you can run as a relay team? Not sure I'd want to do that but what's it all about? Also, any suggestions or ideas about training? I think we'd like to do the Food & Wine one, although we are morning exercisers and 10 pm is late for us!
Thx!

SSR Owners
Mom of

Pooh's Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

I think you can only do a two person relay team in the Wine & Dine half marathon, and in the WDW marathon (held in January). I'm not sure if it's an option in the other races.

As far as training goes, if you sign up for a Disney race, some training plans will be provided. Or, you can just google "half marathon training plan" and find one that works for you. Good luck!
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

afnaechiquita is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
What would Walt do
Earning My Ears

Unfortunately there is no relay option for the wine& dine this year. It doesn't mean they won't bring it back next year but you might need to look for other options. If you're in good shape though, the half is a very do-able distance with enough time to prep. I started back in July and have already run further than that in training for the W&D next week.
What would Walt do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
WeRunDisney
Earning My Ears

Yes, unfortunately no more relays at this time. But agree that a half is totally doable if you're in good shape. Look for a 16 or 20 week training plan to give yourself some wiggle room and you'll be fine. Wine and Dine is my 3rd half and I am trying a whole new plan (Run Less, Run Faster) for this race which has more cross-training which I've really enjoyed. It's helped keep me interested and not bored with running. Good luck!! The Disney races are amazing - you will love it!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: