Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
krohloff08
Mouseketeer

Debating between AoA, POR or DVC Rental

Hello!
We are taking a trip next November and my girls would really like to stay at AoA. We are a family of 5 (My girls will be 9, 5 and 2) but can still fit into a Little Mermaid Room. I tihnk that we will be way to cramped but a suite would run over $1200 more for the 7 nights right now. I thought maybe we could do a Royal Room at the POR. Does anyone know if those rooms come with a trundle bed?

My last thought was renting points for a 2 bedroom villa at a DVC. We will also have my parents and my brother/sister in law along.

Any feedback so far on how the buses are running for AoA? Do the lines seem longer since it is a larger resort?

What would you do?

Thanks in advance!
krohloff08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
francie57
DIS Veteran

I would look into renting points for a villa. The location of the villas can't be beat. BLT is walking distance to MK if that is where you will spend your time and BC/BW are walking/boat distance to two parks. There is also WL/AK/OKW/SSR. We love the Epcot area villas and have stayed at both many times. You will have two bathrooms at most (BLT and AK have 3, I think), a full kitchen for quick breakfasts, snacks, drinks, and you will have an in rooom washer/drywer which is wonderful so you don't have to pack as much and can return home with clean clothes. Best of all you will have enough room to spread out and not be cramped at all. If the rental price of the points is within your budget I wouldn't hesitate to go with the villa.
francie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
Robbi
DIS Veteran

If you're looking for just your family you might be able to rent a 1 bd DVC unit since your youngest is 2. You would have a king bed in one room and a queen sleeper in the other room. There has always been a child's fold up bed stored in the closet when we've stayed DVC. The kitchen is nice too. The bathrooms are 2 rooms-one with a garden tub and vanity sink and the other with a shower, toilet and pedestal sink. It's nice because 2 people can bathe and dress at the same time.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
chemnerd09
Mouseketeer

I would go with the DVC rental. My family and I usually stay at DVC rentals because we get all of the amenities of a deluxe for about the price of a moderate. The DVC villas also has more room which keeps everyone from getting into each others way. I stayed in a little mermaid room with my mom last October and I think you will a hard time trying to fit 5 people in one room.

chemnerd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
softballmom3
DIS Veteran

I was in the same place you were . Last year we stayed POR and really thought we might like to stay AoA next year in a Cars suite.....well after checking into pricing and checking into points we decided to rent points and stay DVC this next time. I think we will really like it . We will see!!! The pricing was cheaper than a suite and room for POR, I am happy!

1977 Heck...I don't remember, I was 4 .
2002 Holiday Inn Family Suites (Nick hotel now)
2007 Pop Century
2010 Windsor Hills
2011 POR
2013 Wilderness Lodge/POR/CSR
2013 Pop Century
2014 POFQ
softballmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
magicaldisney
DIS Veteran

DVC would be a great option. Personally I would go with AKV or BLT for the extra bathroom. Please do your research on DVC rentals and know both the pros and cons....and yes there are some things that you might consider cons.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
krohloff08
Mouseketeer

I think I have everyone convinced into a DVC rental. That way there are no worries about not having rooms near each other. I would love to stay at BLT but for the cost may end up with AKL. Either way I think we will be happy!

Thanks for the input!
krohloff08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by krohloff08
Hello!
We are taking a trip next November and my girls would really like to stay at AoA. We are a family of 5 (My girls will be 9, 5 and 2) but can still fit into a Little Mermaid Room. I tihnk that we will be way to cramped but a suite would run over $1200 more for the 7 nights right now. I thought maybe we could do a Royal Room at the POR. Does anyone know if those rooms come with a trundle bed?

My last thought was renting points for a 2 bedroom villa at a DVC. We will also have my parents and my brother/sister in law along.

Any feedback so far on how the buses are running for AoA? Do the lines seem longer since it is a larger resort?

What would you do?

Thanks in advance!
Having stayed at all 3 of the choices given, I'd rent DVC points. Seven nights in a standard room but would be overwhelming for me. The AoA suites are a nicer size and the resort is adorable. It's very loud though and the food area is fairly chaotic. We only stayed one night to check it out and with the 6 of us, I'm glad that's all we stayed.

We stayed 10 night at the POR in 2007- our first trip. Their food court is much larger and the resort has a more relaxing vibe.

We own DVC and I can't say enough good things about it. I like my space while on vacation. Even though Disney and relaxing don't always go hand in hand, they can. A 2 bedroom DVC would give you a full kitchen. Even if you don't cook, it's so nice to have real snacks and the ability to cook something easy if you want. Plus they've got a washer and dryer. I've stayed at the THV, OKW, and AKV both Jambo and Kidani. I'd rent points if you can. A 2 bedroom at Kidani would also give you a third bathroom. Heaven!

Good luck!

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #9
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

I would go with DVC rental if you can get a booking for your dates.

You will be getting a Deluxe resort for much less than rack rate pricing.

I would also check with Magical Vacations to see if they have any exclusives on your dates as sometimes you can get a deluxe for cost of a moderate.

Good luck and happy planning!
Butterflygirl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #10
pegrad1
Earning My Ears

If it helps at all, we originally booked at AOA Mermaid room. A few factors played a part in changing to POR. One, AOA offers two full sized beds, POR two queens. The walk from AOA to the bus is 10-15 minutes, not even close with a Royal room at POR. After spending the entire day on my feet the last thing I want is a long walk from but to room. Also, I didn't want to walk 10-15 minutes to refill a mug for that matter. By the time I would be back to the room I would need a refill! Lastly, and as an adult you will understand this: AOA has no jacuzzi or hot tubs! At the end of my day, I want somewhere to soak my feet & relax! There wasn't a huge difference in cost but overall, I thought these few things were well worth the change.
Good luck in your decision!

pegrad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #11
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by krohloff08 View Post
I thought maybe we could do a Royal Room at the POR. Does anyone know if those rooms come with a trundle bed?
They do not. Two Queen beds. A family of five at POR is placed in the Alligator Bayou section of the resort, and there are no Royal Rooms in Alligator Bayou. Also, POR did away with the trundle bed during their recent refurb and now have murphy beds in these rooms. It's a small bed that pulls down from a thing in the wall under the TV. Its only suitable for children 10 and under and it's kind of in the middle of the room - not really out of the way like the trundle used to be.

I like the idea of DVC too. I didn't get to read all the replies but the only downsides I see to DVC is that you have to book so far in advance, no daily housekeeping, and you have to trust the renter to book your dining plan if you want that - and you have to pay for it up front when it's booked. If none of those things matter, its the perfect option!
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: