Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
biggroofy
DIS Veteran
 
biggroofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 733

Interested in WL...please help

Booking for Christmas week.... GF is too expensive, but since our family will be in Orlando, I don't want to miss the chance celebrating Christmas at Disney World. I bet I will be staying around Dec 22 - 26, considered AKL and WL, which are the relatively cheaper Deluxe resorts. I am more leaning towards WL because of its proximity to MK.

6 of us in the family including DD5 and DD9, and also the grandparents in their 70s. We plan to book 2 rooms. Wanted a Deluxe Resort because grandparents can relax in the resort if they decide not to visit the theme parks.

WL seems nice with pools and stuff. But my concern is, WCC is a fun but noisy place, will noise be an issue if we stay at the main building?

I came across "Campfire with Chip & Dale" - is that a nightly activity in WL? Can somebody share their experience with this event?

I am not sure about how busy MK will be....I bet the queue will be long (especially we want to go to the new Fantasyland). Maybe I will try going to parks early and come back to enjoy the day at WL.

Also interested in some dinner shows, like Mickey's Backyard BBQ and the Hop De Doo Music show at FT. If I don't rent a car, will I have easy access between WL and FT via a boat? What would be the best option?

Thanks!
__________________
biggroofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
elaw
DIS Veteran
 
elaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggroofy View Post
... WL seems nice with pools and stuff. But my concern is, WCC is a fun but noisy place, will noise be an issue if we stay at the main building? ...
It can get a little noisey sometimes ... but you don't hear it from the rooms. It's mostly just in the main lobby area and short lived.
__________________
elaw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-31-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
Mammaz
Mouseketeer
 
Mammaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggroofy View Post
Booking for Christmas week.... GF is too expensive, but since our family will be in Orlando, I don't want to miss the chance celebrating Christmas at Disney World. I bet I will be staying around Dec 22 - 26, considered AKL and WL, which are the relatively cheaper Deluxe resorts. I am more leaning towards WL because of its proximity to MK.

6 of us in the family including DD5 and DD9, and also the grandparents in their 70s. We plan to book 2 rooms. Wanted a Deluxe Resort because grandparents can relax in the resort if they decide not to visit the theme parks.

WL seems nice with pools and stuff. But my concern is, WCC is a fun but noisy place, will noise be an issue if we stay at the main building?

I came across "Campfire with Chip & Dale" - is that a nightly activity in WL? Can somebody share their experience with this event?

I am not sure about how busy MK will be....I bet the queue will be long (especially we want to go to the new Fantasyland). Maybe I will try going to parks early and come back to enjoy the day at WL.

Also interested in some dinner shows, like Mickey's Backyard BBQ and the Hop De Doo Music show at FT. If I don't rent a car, will I have easy access between WL and FT via a boat? What would be the best option?

Thanks!
We had a room that viewed the lobby and the noise wasn't an issue.

Yes there is a boat from WL to Fort Wilderness then a short walk to the dining hall.

Campfire with Chip and Dale is at Fort Wilderness, the campground.

We love Wilderness lodge. It is so easy to take the boat the the magic kingdom and there is usually plenty of room. Bus service to the other parks is great too! Enjoy!
Mammaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran
 
Mousemommy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 11,200

We love the Wilderness Lodge!

We did not experience noise from the WCC at all while in our room.

We stayed CL, which overlooks the lobby, and there were only a couple of bursts of noise, but nothing sustained.

Like the PP's have said, the campfire with Chip & Dale is at Ft. Wilderness campgrounds. We didn't do it, I wished we had!

You will love WL!
__________________
(DH) (ME) (DD10) (DD8) (DS Due 1/12/15!!)



PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
cherylp3
Florida Resident
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Davenport, FL (Orlando Area)
Posts: 4,738

there is also a bus from WL to Fort wilderness as well
__________________
Dreams DO come true!!
Booked on 2008 Member cruise!!

DVC Member Cruise 2003 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007
cherylp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
cwt580
DIS Veteran
 
cwt580's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Buchanan, Mi
Posts: 877

If your dates are a go you should book asap. Wl is popular at xmas time and wdw is busy that week. Adr dates are already open for booking filling fast. So if u want sitdown meals, you better move quickly.
__________________

cwt580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,144

You will love the WL, especially at Christmas time. We have stayed there twice and while it does get somewhat noisy from WCC throughout the day/evening when you're in the lobby or walking through, we have never heard noise from our room. For transportation, we love taking the boat back and forth to MK and it's also great being able to take it to the CR to visit or shop there and then hop on the monorail to visit the Poly and GF. Happy planning.
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,148

WL for Christmas is a great choice. Looks like the noise issue has been covered already. I just wanted to add that for transportation to FW, you can take the boat but there is also a walkway that if the weather is nice is a very pretty walk. We didn't do it at night so I don't know if it it lighted but during the day it was a good break.

Another transportation option to the MK besides the boat is the bus. We found it quicker and not as crowded. I prefer the boat but if the weather is poor the bus is a nice alternative.
__________________
Me , DH , DS 3 , and DS 3
twinboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS
DIS Veteran
 
WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 711

Noise is not noticeable in the rooms, the path is not lit so, boat or bus are best choices, and the WL is amazing at Christmas!
WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:38 AM   #10
biggroofy
DIS Veteran
 
biggroofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 733

Thanks everyone. I will book ASAP!
So I believe I don't really need a rental car. I can take the boat to Fort Wilderness back and forth.
__________________
biggroofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:02 AM   #11
Sue M
DIS Veteran
 
Sue M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: B.C.
Posts: 9,949

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggroofy View Post
Thanks everyone. I will book ASAP!
So I believe I don't really need a rental car. I can take the boat to Fort Wilderness back and forth.
Yes. The boat is a nice way to get to FW. Bring a warm jacket, scarf, it can get chilly on the water at night.
The grandparents can also go take the boat to CR if they decide not to go to the park, to look around, shop,eat, etc. and hop on the monorail to tour the other MK resorts and check out their holiday decorations. I've heard GF decorations are very nice.
__________________
Past Trips:
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fort wilderness, wilderness ldoge



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.