Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
biggroofy
DIS Veteran

Interested in WL...please help

Booking for Christmas week.... GF is too expensive, but since our family will be in Orlando, I don't want to miss the chance celebrating Christmas at Disney World. I bet I will be staying around Dec 22 - 26, considered AKL and WL, which are the relatively cheaper Deluxe resorts. I am more leaning towards WL because of its proximity to MK.

6 of us in the family including DD5 and DD9, and also the grandparents in their 70s. We plan to book 2 rooms. Wanted a Deluxe Resort because grandparents can relax in the resort if they decide not to visit the theme parks.

WL seems nice with pools and stuff. But my concern is, WCC is a fun but noisy place, will noise be an issue if we stay at the main building?

I came across "Campfire with Chip & Dale" - is that a nightly activity in WL? Can somebody share their experience with this event?

I am not sure about how busy MK will be....I bet the queue will be long (especially we want to go to the new Fantasyland). Maybe I will try going to parks early and come back to enjoy the day at WL.

Also interested in some dinner shows, like Mickey's Backyard BBQ and the Hop De Doo Music show at FT. If I don't rent a car, will I have easy access between WL and FT via a boat? What would be the best option?

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggroofy View Post
... WL seems nice with pools and stuff. But my concern is, WCC is a fun but noisy place, will noise be an issue if we stay at the main building? ...
It can get a little noisey sometimes ... but you don't hear it from the rooms. It's mostly just in the main lobby area and short lived.
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
Mammaz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Booking for Christmas week.... GF is too expensive, but since our family will be in Orlando, I don't want to miss the chance celebrating Christmas at Disney World. I bet I will be staying around Dec 22 - 26, considered AKL and WL, which are the relatively cheaper Deluxe resorts. I am more leaning towards WL because of its proximity to MK.

6 of us in the family including DD5 and DD9, and also the grandparents in their 70s. We plan to book 2 rooms. Wanted a Deluxe Resort because grandparents can relax in the resort if they decide not to visit the theme parks.

WL seems nice with pools and stuff. But my concern is, WCC is a fun but noisy place, will noise be an issue if we stay at the main building?

I came across "Campfire with Chip & Dale" - is that a nightly activity in WL? Can somebody share their experience with this event?

I am not sure about how busy MK will be....I bet the queue will be long (especially we want to go to the new Fantasyland). Maybe I will try going to parks early and come back to enjoy the day at WL.

Also interested in some dinner shows, like Mickey's Backyard BBQ and the Hop De Doo Music show at FT. If I don't rent a car, will I have easy access between WL and FT via a boat? What would be the best option?

Thanks!
We had a room that viewed the lobby and the noise wasn't an issue.

Yes there is a boat from WL to Fort Wilderness then a short walk to the dining hall.

Campfire with Chip and Dale is at Fort Wilderness, the campground.

We love Wilderness lodge. It is so easy to take the boat the the magic kingdom and there is usually plenty of room. Bus service to the other parks is great too! Enjoy!
Mammaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

We love the Wilderness Lodge!

We did not experience noise from the WCC at all while in our room.

We stayed CL, which overlooks the lobby, and there were only a couple of bursts of noise, but nothing sustained.

Like the PP's have said, the campfire with Chip & Dale is at Ft. Wilderness campgrounds. We didn't do it, I wished we had!

You will love WL!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
cherylp3
Florida Resident

there is also a bus from WL to Fort wilderness as well

DVC Member Cruise 2003 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007
cherylp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
cwt580
DIS Veteran

If your dates are a go you should book asap. Wl is popular at xmas time and wdw is busy that week. Adr dates are already open for booking filling fast. So if u want sitdown meals, you better move quickly.

cwt580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

You will love the WL, especially at Christmas time. We have stayed there twice and while it does get somewhat noisy from WCC throughout the day/evening when you're in the lobby or walking through, we have never heard noise from our room. For transportation, we love taking the boat back and forth to MK and it's also great being able to take it to the CR to visit or shop there and then hop on the monorail to visit the Poly and GF. Happy planning.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

WL for Christmas is a great choice. Looks like the noise issue has been covered already. I just wanted to add that for transportation to FW, you can take the boat but there is also a walkway that if the weather is nice is a very pretty walk. We didn't do it at night so I don't know if it it lighted but during the day it was a good break.

Another transportation option to the MK besides the boat is the bus. We found it quicker and not as crowded. I prefer the boat but if the weather is poor the bus is a nice alternative.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS
DIS Veteran

Noise is not noticeable in the rooms, the path is not lit so, boat or bus are best choices, and the WL is amazing at Christmas!
WLSILVERCREEKSPRINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:38 AM   #10
biggroofy
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone. I will book ASAP!
So I believe I don't really need a rental car. I can take the boat to Fort Wilderness back and forth.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:02 AM   #11
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I will book ASAP!
So I believe I don't really need a rental car. I can take the boat to Fort Wilderness back and forth.
Yes. The boat is a nice way to get to FW. Bring a warm jacket, scarf, it can get chilly on the water at night.
The grandparents can also go take the boat to CR if they decide not to go to the park, to look around, shop,eat, etc. and hop on the monorail to tour the other MK resorts and check out their holiday decorations. I've heard GF decorations are very nice.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fort wilderness, wilderness ldoge

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: