Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
StyledSugar
Love The Mouse

Kids venturing by themselves

How old were your kids before you allowed them to wander DL by themselves?

My daughter is 14 and my son is 9 (almost 10). They have done other parks or midways closer to home by themselves but DL is so much larger. They are insisting that we allow them to go off on their own and that they'll be fine, I'm just overreacting, etc. etc. etc. Of course they are promising me everthing -- we'll stick together, we'll check in every 30 minutes, we'll be on time for reservations, we won't go by ourselves the wholeeeeeee time (in reaction to my comment that we are on a FAMILY VACATION! lol). You know, the usual for kids that age.

What do all of you think? I know my kids are responsible, smart, and have a good head on their shoulders but I just don't know. DL is so huge! lol

DLR: 1980, 1985, 1987, February 2006, September 2010, October-November 2011, Christmas 2012

My wonderful family:
DH Me DD 15 DS 11
StyledSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
sweethannah
Rebel Spy, 3 times in a row!

The size of the Parks wouldnt both me
. ...in fact I'd probably feel more comfortable at a Disney than at a local midway where its a lot cheaper to get in and the staff aren't as well trained. Do you guys have cellphones with you? At least one parent should have one and instruct your kids where to go or who to look for if they get lost. We don't let DD8 run around on her own obviously but we took the time to point out what she should do in case we ever got separated. I

May 14 - May 21 2014
Staying at the Howard Johnson
sweethannah is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
twinslovedisney
Earning My Ears

We did this when my twins were a fresh 8 yo. My husband and I sat at the New Orleans and ate a Monte Cristo while we allowed the kids to go on either Splash Mountain, Winnie the Pooh, Pirates, the Treehouse or Haunted Mansion by themselves. They had to check in after each ride and stay together. We go in January so they lines aren't long. They did great...and my husband and I actually got some time alone!
twinslovedisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
StyledSugar
Love The Mouse

Yeah, that's what my DH said (about the local midway). We let them go on the rides and play games for a few hours by themselves this year at the Calgary Stampede (noticed you were from BC so I figured you'd know what that is lol) and they were fine.

We will have our cell phones with us so I guess they could always call if they needed anything before our scheduled meet time. I'm probably being over protective....as usual. lol

DLR: 1980, 1985, 1987, February 2006, September 2010, October-November 2011, Christmas 2012

My wonderful family:
DH Me DD 15 DS 11
Old 10-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #5
Mickeymousedude
Earning My Ears

They should be fine, DL is very safe, they have alott of security everywhere. When I was a kid my parents would make us meet at the castle every 3-4 hours and this was way before cell phones;
Old 10-30-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
Geemo
DIS Veteran

I feel it's safe to let kids have a little space too.

Cell phones have been a real issue at times.

We have traveled with other families and tried to meet up by calling on cell phones. Only to have the cell's not make a connection. SO Frustrating!!!

I guess it depends on the cell provider....

That's where it's a good idea to have a meet up time, in case the cells don't connect.

Geemo

Geemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 AM   #7
Dizzy4DL
Dole Whip and a jalapeno pretzel? Don't mind if I do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeymousedude View Post
they have alott of security everywhere.
I wonder where they were on our last trip?
We saw a large man pick up his girlfriend(?) and spin around in the middle of the walkway coming within an inch of dropping her into a stroller with a baby in it. When the dad pushing the stroller (rightfully) said "Watch out!", the large man started throwing f-bombs around and threatening the dad. All in front of my kid and many other young children. The father finally gathered his family and walked away from the insults being thrown at him.

This took place in front of Midway Mania, in broad daylight.

Disney World - Pop Century April '14
Dizzy4DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:12 AM   #8
Minuet888
DIS Veteran

depends on the kid but I went to Disneyland every year (as part of our band trip) in middle school and the kids roamed around the park without supervision. (this was in the early 90's before DCA opened.
I take high school trips with my bands and choirs all the time to DL and DCA and they roam the parks on their own too, if your child is 14 that is high school age and I think that would be perfectly fine to roam the park.
Minuet888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #9
dmband
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaches24 View Post
If you have iPhones there is an app called friend finder and when activated will show you right where they are as long as they have the phone with them. But you and them both would need iPhones.
False sense of security at least from a serious worry stand point like kid napping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy4DL View Post
I wonder where they were on our last trip?
We saw a large man pick up his girlfriend(?) and spin around in the middle of the walkway coming within an inch of dropping her into a stroller with a baby in it. When the dad pushing the stroller (rightfully) said "Watch out!", the large man started throwing f-bombs around and threatening the dad. All in front of my kid and many other young children. The father finally gathered his family and walked away from the insults being thrown at him.

This took place in front of Midway Mania, in broad daylight.
disneys security as a whole is a joke starting with the bag check line
Our last trip Disney employees, yes employees stood by and watched a Brazilian tour group phyically assaulted a 7 yr old, security was called by people in the crowd and over an hr later they still were not there

If you want to be safe and you want your kids safe then everyone needs to be smart and know how to handle different situations
I personally would allow a 14 to go off for a bit depending on crowds and such
9 maybe, together sure
Old 10-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #10
coaches24
DIS Veteran

If you have iPhones there is an app called friend finder and when activated will show you right where they are as long as they have the phone with them. But you and them both would need iPhones.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:49 PM   #11
StyledSugar
Love The Mouse

Thank you for the responses. My kids are good, smart kids who will be responsible. It's just myself that is worried about them but that's because I'm the mom and that's my job.

My wonderful family:
DH Me DD 15 DS 11
Old 10-30-2012, 11:55 PM   #12
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

Growing up our town park and rec had a Disneyland trip that you could sign up for starting in 7th grade and they would take us on buses and during the day you had to check in twice at the castle with the chaperones.

On family vacations we never split up and did our own thing. My parents rode everything (even the scary stuff) and we all had fun together. No reason to split up.

Countdown over Can't wait to get another trip on the calendar!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:45 PM   #13
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Mine were 12 and 9, we had been going to DL for a while by then and they knew the parks very well so I was OK with it. They also had cell phones so I was even more comfortable with it. lol

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #14
monkey30
Dreaming of my next vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StyledSugar View Post
Yeah, that's what my DH said (about the local midway). We let them go on the rides and play games for a few hours by themselves this year at the Calgary Stampede (noticed you were from BC so I figured you'd know what that is lol) and they were fine.

We will have our cell phones with us so I guess they could always call if they needed anything before our scheduled meet time. I'm probably being over protective....as usual. lol

You will run into way more crazies at the Stampede then in Dl, saying that we just got back If my son(10) wanted to do a ride, and went in the SR line, I was fine with it. We made a meeting point around the area, we gave him some more freedom this trip, going here and there on his own with us close by, he did great.

Only you know your kids and if they can handle the responsiblity of being on their own. Have a good time!

September Family Trip 2012 PTR
DL Trip Report 2012
Left the Kids at home PTR 2013
monkey30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #15
Dizzy4DL
Dole Whip and a jalapeno pretzel? Don't mind if I do...

A friend of mine has kids 14 and 10 years old. They are allowed to get in line "alone" if the parents don't want to ride, and they can explore areas of the park "alone" (parents in same area) with a time to check back at a prearranged spot.

Disneyland is safer than most places...but there are no guarantees and each family has to decide for themselves.

Disney World - Pop Century April '14
Dizzy4DL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: