Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
charmedlife3517
Mouseketeer
 
charmedlife3517's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Noblesville, IN
Posts: 132

Disappointed in Le Cellier

We just got back yesterday from our first DisneyWorld vacation. I booked Le Cellier at my 180 days because of all of the great reviews. My bestfriend goes every year and she loves Le Cellier. I went our first day in Disney and got the Mushroom Filet. It was horrible. It was over cooked, had no flavor and although I have never had risotto, it tasted like undercooked rice. Is that what its suppose to taste like? I have also read that the filet is super salty. Mine was not salty at all. I would have to say that this was the worst meal of my trip. My sister got the NY strip and it was really good as was the soup. Am I missing something? I am not a food snob but this meal was just not good. I thought Le Cellier may have been having an off day so I got the mushroom filet at the food and wine festival booth and although it was better it was not amazing. Not like the reviews I read. Maybe its just a matter of taste and its not to my liking Who knows.
__________________
ME (Jessica) DH (Mike) DD9 (Breanna) DS6 (Braden) DDOG (Lexie) DDOG (Bruno)


charmedlife3517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 12,816

I didn't care for LeCellier, either. I had the filet and it was ok, but nothing great. It definitely wasn't anything near what I thought it would be from all the hype I always read about it. I've had much better filet at Artist Point and Yachtsman Steakhouse. I'm glad I tried LC, but we won't be returning as there are much better places for steak (especially filet), IMO.
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
Mickey Gator
WDW Veteran
 
Mickey Gator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 199

The filet has been great at times and at other times average at best. But no matter what, the cheddar cheese soup is always AWESOME.
__________________
Mickey Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
TheRustyScupper
Seeing isn't Believing. Believing is Seeing.
 
TheRustyScupper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: 15-min from WDW.
Posts: 18,051

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedlife3517 View Post
. . . I have also read that the filet is super salty. Mine was not salty at all. I would have to say that this was the worst meal of my trip . . .
1) As all restaurateurs know, sodium makes all meat taste better.
2) It is a scientific fact regarding taste buds and taste-bud-excitement.
3) This also makes up for lower quality meat.
4) If your steak was poorly tasting, this is the reason.

NOTE: The amount of sodium in WDW food is HUGE. In some cases,
the level at or above the recommended daily level for an adult male.
And, you get that in one meal. But, this is the way to make even
average menu items taste more appealing - and, it improves profit.
This is also one reason WDW does not publish or make available the
nutritional fact of the menu items - calories and sodium.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:48 AM   #5
sephorachick
DIS Veteran
 
sephorachick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Charles Town,WV
Posts: 2,878

This past trip I noticed my filet was super salty this time around but it was only 1 bite worth so I don't give it much thought. LOVE the beer cheese soup
__________________
Kate WDWCP Spring 99-Spring 00

Me: Husband: Pacey Minnie Vicky Ginger

Check out my Disney blog!
www.yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.com
Today's entry is on Dream It! Do It! book review by Jeff C. .

Facebook page for my Disney blog! Please "LIKE"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yohoyo...99050306822131
sephorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:00 AM   #6
RMulieri
DIS Veteran
 
RMulieri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Tom Sawyers Island
Posts: 20,101

I don't find Le cellier to be all that either..I have had better steaks at chain restaurants
__________________
Going Back to the DarkSide -Universal Orlando and the Harry Potter Expansion December 2014
RMulieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:20 AM   #7
Cafeen
DIS Veteran
 
Cafeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mobile, Alabama
Posts: 4,853

I find the filet disappointing as well and do prefer the strip there. While I've been lucky and haven't had an actual bad meal there, I also do agree that it gets way overhyped, there are many better meals to be found around the resort. Doesn't mean I think LC is bad, just it isn't all it's cracked up to be by far.
__________________
-- Allan (Smugmug / Flickr)
(Completely redid smuggy collections, See the Shared with Disboards gallery for broken images in posts.)

Next Trip: NOT Solo... 10/17-10/27 @ Pop/CBR split. This time with Brother, Sister-in-Law, Nephew, and Mom (well, at least mostly not solo.)
TRs: Learning to NOT Photograph Fireworks Behind Trees (Sept 2012 PTR (no TR... yet?)
New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse for another Disney trip! (Sept 2011 PTR/TR)
Cafeen takes it slow in Sept... (Sept 2010) || Daddy for a week... - (Sept 2009)
Cafeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:29 AM   #8
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran
 
Mousemommy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 10,351

That's a bummer! We love Le Cellier, although we have never done the filet. Our favorite cut is the ribeye and LC knocks that out of the park!!
I'm drooling thinking about it...

Sorry you had a bad experience. Different strokes for different folks.
__________________
(DH) (ME) (DD9) (DD7)



PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:34 AM   #9
VAN
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,347

I think the main problem has to do with expectations.

LC has been hyped to the heavens so a newbie to the restaurant expects great things ... very hard to live up to. They have also made it a 2 dining credit restaurant (I think), so you REALLY have high expectations.

While I have enjoyed LC in the past, there is no way I would use two precious dining credits for the meal.

Again, I really hate it when a restaurant, movie, book, etc is super-hyped ... a good portion of the time you are disappointed just because you've been led to believe that it was "out of this world".
VAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
Hoopfamily
We're 3 Caballeros, We're 3 Caballeros, They say we are birds of a feather.
 
Hoopfamily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: South Of Boston
Posts: 737

We ate there years ago, and we thoroughly unimpressed. I've had better steaks at local steakhouses as well as national chains. For us the cost versus what we got does not line up.
__________________
MEDWDD9
May '01 Orange Lake, Sept '02 Wilderness Lodge, Oct '06 Boardwalk, May '08 Radisson Worldgate, Oct '08Vistana Villages, May '09 Mariott Sabal Palms, June '10 Sabal Palms Again, Nov '12 ASMu


Hoopfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:55 AM   #11
Hopefully
DIS Veteran
 
Hopefully's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Boston Area, MA
Posts: 8,303

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN View Post
I think the main problem has to do with expectations.

LC has been hyped to the heavens so a newbie to the restaurant expects great things ... very hard to live up to. They have also made it a 2 dining credit restaurant (I think), so you REALLY have high expectations.

While I have enjoyed LC in the past, there is no way I would use two precious dining credits for the meal.

Again, I really hate it when a restaurant, movie, book, etc is super-hyped ... a good portion of the time you are disappointed just because you've been led to believe that it was "out of this world".
I totally agree with this statement. I think the problem was your expectation based on the super hype here on the DIS. You expected out of this world great and it isn't
We ate at Le Cellier 3 weeks ago. I had reasonable expectations - maybe even low expectations. I was pleasantly surprised. THe mushroom filet does not appeal to me at all, even though others love it. I had the strip and it was delicious. I shared the cauliflower side with my DDiL and we loved it. The setting was nice, the service was great and we had a wonderful anniversary dinner.
Sorry you were disappointed.
__________________
Hopefully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:10 AM   #12
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.
 
JimmyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,516

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN View Post
I think the main problem has to do with expectations.

LC has been hyped to the heavens so a newbie to the restaurant expects great things ... very hard to live up to. They have also made it a 2 dining credit restaurant (I think), so you REALLY have high expectations.
This.

It is hard to get an ADR.
It was "upgraded" to a 2 Credit establishment.
It is on the Dining Plan, so it gets far more attention than Shula's or Bull and Bear.

Put this all together and you have the makings of high expectations that are very difficult to meet. Couple that with the fact that the food is more "Texas Roadhouse" or "Outback Steakhouse" and the balloon is going to pop for anyone who considers the aforementioned establishments to be "pretty good", but not "great". (But if you consider Texas Roadhouse and Outback to be "great", then LC will probably meet your high expectations). However, if a "great" steak for you means starting with Prime graded meat, then there is no way that LC will win you over. The meat used there is "Choice", which is well below Prime grade and can be obtained at any supermarket. Bull and Bear uses "Prime" and Shula's raises its own beef and grades itself. It claims that their steaks exceed the grading requirements of Prime, but self-grading is always dubious. That said, their steaks are excellent, and to my eye and palate, they do rise to the level of Prime. If that is your idea of a great steak, LC will always fall short. Which is not to say that you won't get a good meal. And it doesn't mean that you won't enjoy yourself. It's just that when people toss around the word "great" like it is confettii at a parade, people start to get their hopes up.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #13
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't
 
goofyintoronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 8,599

I agree with this 100%. LC is VERY VERY overhyped. I did not care for my steak. AT ALL. Not impressed. I was very disappointed and couldnt understand why everyone kept raving about it. Same goes for the famous soup. I didnt think it was that great either! I had a better filet at Teppan Edo the following day, and a better soup at Biergarten a few days after. Way better! Now that theyre going to 2TS credits all day, even for lunch, i dont think i'll be giving LC another chance. Pity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafeen View Post
I find the filet disappointing as well and do prefer the strip there. While I've been lucky and haven't had an actual bad meal there, I also do agree that it gets way overhyped, there are many better meals to be found around the resort. Doesn't mean I think LC is bad, just it isn't all it's cracked up to be by far.
__________________





........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........







AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:33 AM   #14
MyOtherSS
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Granite State
Posts: 128

I've been twice in the same year, the first time the filet was the best steak I've ever had but the second time around it was good but not spectacular. I too felt it was over cooked the second time around but I blame it on ordering it medium well instead of medium like I normally do. Maybe they have an inconsistent line of chefs?
__________________
Past Stays: Fort Wilderness, Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Contemporary.
MyOtherSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:30 AM   #15
gwynne
DIS Veteran
 
gwynne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: In the polar vortex
Posts: 2,736

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV
This.

It is hard to get an ADR.
It was "upgraded" to a 2 Credit establishment.
It is on the Dining Plan, so it gets far more attention than Shula's or Bull and Bear.

Put this all together and you have the makings of high expectations that are very difficult to meet. Couple that with the fact that the food is more "Texas Roadhouse" or "Outback Steakhouse" and the balloon is going to pop for anyone who considers the aforementioned establishments to be "pretty good", but not "great". (But if you consider Texas Roadhouse and Outback to be "great", then LC will probably meet your high expectations). However, if a "great" steak for you means starting with Prime graded meat, then there is no way that LC will win you over. The meat used there is "Choice", which is well below Prime grade and can be obtained at any supermarket. Bull and Bear uses "Prime" and Shula's raises its own beef and grades itself. It claims that their steaks exceed the grading requirements of Prime, but self-grading is always dubious. That said, their steaks are excellent, and to my eye and palate, they do rise to the level of Prime. If that is your idea of a great steak, LC will always fall short. Which is not to say that you won't get a good meal. And it doesn't mean that you won't enjoy yourself. It's just that when people toss around the word "great" like it is confettii at a parade, people start to get their hopes up.
Totally agree. Shula's has amazing steaks, LC's are very good. I have different expectations from these restaurants, and I have enjoyed them both. I like the location and ambience of LC, especially for lunch. I also like other things on LC's menu beyond steak. If we are looking for a over the top steak, then we book at Shula's.
People are bound to be disappointed if they expect a Shula's experience at LC's price.
__________________
GinnyCertified resort changer. Trip planning is half the fun!
TY Kook!
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.