Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

Warning: Art of Animation thermostat WILL NOT go below 68!

I've read through a lot of posts with override possibilities and none work (likely a newer or different model). Here is what is bad....we called the front desk and maintenance twice today and both times we were told it can't be changed or overridden and that "68 should be cold enough"

We've woke up sweating both nights we've been here so far. We have a balloon in front of the sensor in case that would help anything and they need to understand 68 with humidity is warmer than some people like at night and for Disney to have NO WAY to lower or bypass this for the comfort of guest is unreal to me.

I COMPLETELY understand the sensor and saving energy during the day, but when every other resort can get around this and they are more interested in saving a buck vs the comfort of their guests something is wrong and not the Disney I'm use to (vacating multiple times per year and a DVC member)

Does anyone know what could be done if anything at this point (how to bypass 68 low limit at night, etc?)
dcibrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
chanty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcibrando

I've read through a lot of posts with override possibilities and none work (likely a newer or different model). Here is what is bad....we called the front desk and maintenance twice today and both times we were told it can't be changed or overridden and that "68 should be cold enough"

We've woke up sweating both nights we've been here so far. We have a balloon in front of the sensor in case that would help anything and they need to understand 68 with humidity is warmer than some people like at night and for Disney to have NO WAY to lower or bypass this for the comfort of guest is unreal to me.

I COMPLETELY understand the sensor and saving energy during the day, but when every other resort can get around this and they are more interested in saving a buck vs the comfort of their guests something is wrong and not the Disney I'm use to (vacating multiple times per year and a DVC member)

Does anyone know what could be done if anything at this point (how to bypass 68 low limit at night, etc?)
Not great...we also love our rooms to be really cool

Chantal

Oct 2003 - Dolphin (engagement year) Oct 2005 - POR - Honeymoon
Oct 2006 - BCV - 1st anniversary Jan 2008 - Pop Century resort
Oct 2010 - BCV & AKV - 5th Anniversary!
Nov 2011 - Pop Century - Biz trip!
Oct 2012 - AoA - Family Vacation!

"Disney. For those that get it, no explanation necessary. For those that don't, no explanation possible."
chanty is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

same here....and even when I turn the fan on medium or high (instead of auto) it eventually shuts off. Unbelievable - I can tell I will not be staying here again because of this and if they do this to our DVC home resort I will not be happy
Old 10-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
kandb
DIS Veteran

I would be really mad if I was staying there. We like the temp at around 65 degrees. That is ridiculous. When you pay almost $200 a night for a room, they can let you run the a/c in a 300 sf. room.
kandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
Jillianv29
Mouseketeer

Wow, guess its just me but that seems pretty cool.
Jillianv29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:08 AM   #6
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillianv29 View Post
It is not just you. 68 seems plenty cold. I'm wondering if the people who like it colder like it so they can crawl underneath the blankets, or if they really sleep there with no covers on. I can't fathom that. Brrrrrr!
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:12 AM   #7
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

Trust me 68 is not 68 with 100% humidity and it doesn't stay 68 at night when the thermostat shuts off to save $
Old 10-28-2012, 07:38 AM   #8
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

Also I noticed thermostat shows 68 but room temp shows 69 or 70. Not sure when it decided to cut on and off but this is ridiculous in my opinion when Disney dictates/limits our comfort level after paying what we do
Old 10-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #9
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcibrando View Post
Also I noticed thermostat shows 68 but room temp shows 69 or 70. Not sure when it decided to cut on and off but this is ridiculous in my opinion when Disney dictates/limits our comfort level after paying what we do
Maybe it is the one way they are keeping their new and improved value resorts actually value resorts? Maybe you will now have to upgrade to a moderate to be able to get a lower temp in your room?

Only kind of kidding. I applaud that they want to control the temperature, as it does save energy. However, I'm not sure what temp they should have picked as the cut off point.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #10
jenrose66
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillianv29 View Post
I thought the same thing. We were there in August and I never tried to lower it past 68 and that felt chilly to me. We had it set to 72 or 74 in the evening.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
sunshinecruise
Mouseketeer

I live in South Fl and we keep the a/c in our house set on 78. When we stay at Disney the lowest we set the a/c is 74. If it is any lower than that I am freezing!
sunshinecruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #12
HappyMomma
Mouseketeer

Wow. You all like it cold! I never have my air set lower than 74.

HappyMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #13
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMomma View Post
Wow. You all like it cold! I never have my air set lower than 74.
I'm the same way. I don't really find this a big deal, TBH.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #14
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthemouse71 View Post
I'm the same way. I don't really find this a big deal, TBH.
And some DO find it a big deal. Lets say your comfort level is 72 and they only let you go to 74?
Old 10-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #15
BridgetBordeaux
DIS Veteran

I have come to this discussion a little late and admit I have not read all 5 pages.

You can call maintenance and ask them to install a "medical thermostat". It is really just a new "face" and has different programming than a standard unit. We have used them before and it allowed us to be comfortable. And yes...............hot flashes are a good enough reason to get one!

They install the new face and then remove it on the day you check out. They re-install the standard face before the next guest arrives. Admittedly this was a POP but I am pretty sure this approach applies to other resorts as well.

Hope this information helps somebody during their next visit.
POP Dec 2009, June/Sept 2010, June/Sept 2011, May/Sept 2012, May/Sept 2013, May/Sept 2014
BridgetBordeaux is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: