Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
GaDisneyFreak
Earning My Ears

Was 25% off really 15% off in reality?

With Disney offering their passengers that went through Sandy last night 25% off of their next cruise or WDW vacation, is'nt it really just an extra 15% (pertaining to a future cruise) since they could get 10% even if it was smooth sailing? And did this extra 25% apply to ABD and if not, I wonder why? I think they should have given them a 25% refund of their cruise fare in cash!!
GaDisneyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaDisneyFreak View Post
With Disney offering their passengers that went through Sandy last night 25% off of their next cruise or WDW vacation, is'nt it really just an extra 15% (pertaining to a future cruise) since they could get 10% even if it was smooth sailing? And did this extra 25% apply to ABD and if not, I wonder why? I think they should have given them a 25% refund of their cruise fare in cash!!

I don't think DCL should have given them anything! They got back safe and sound. Yes seas were rough...that is what happens when you sail and sail during hurricane season. DCL didn't have to give them anything. And for those that didn't book on board, yes it is a full 25% off. Why should the offer it on ABD? I think they were overly generous in offering it at all.
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
madscrapper
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiseyMom View Post
I don't think DCL should have given them anything! They got back safe and sound. Yes seas were rough...that is what happens when you sail and sail during hurricane season. DCL didn't have to give them anything. And for those that didn't book on board, yes it is a full 25% off. Why should the offer it on ABD? I think they were overly generous in offering it at all.
Couldn't agree more! Why do people expect more when they are lucky to have received anything at all.

While on our Med 2010 cruise, we lost power in a storm, rocked and rolled horribly, items flew out of our closet doors that were slamming open and shut and 3 of us were sea sick. It never occurred to me to expect anything other than safe passage!
madscrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
eva
Often uses her unique ability to shut down threads.

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscrapper View Post
Couldn't agree more! Why do people expect more when they are lucky to have received anything at all.

While on our Med 2010 cruise, we lost power in a storm, rocked and rolled horribly, items flew out of our closet doors that were slamming open and shut and 3 of us were sea sick. It never occurred to me to expect anything other than safe passage!
We were on that Med cruise too. Very freaky to have the electricity go out and in turn the stabilizers are not functioning. I remember as it got lighter looking out our verandah and seeing all sky, then all water. Very strange! When the captain said not to be worried because we were no where near land, I think he should have explained why that was good. Because some thought being in the middle of the Med was a bad thing. Definitely the roughest ride I was ever on. I wonder though if it had been the last night of the cruise, if we would have a different view of the cruise. But since it happened early in the cruise I think we were able to somewhat forget it by the last day.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
DynamicDisneyDuo
DIS Veteran

You only get 10% off if you re-book on board. Given the odds of everyone having done that, it's likely more 25% than "15%."

I don't know the terms of the offer by Disney regarding the 25% but the easiest answer, if ABD is not eligible, is because that's what Disney wants. They don't have to offer any kind of discount at all so they are being generous in doing so. As such, they may place whatever terms on it they wish.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE

If this was the offer, I'm guessing that DCL would include fares normally excluded from the 10% discount. Meaning that this discount would also apply to suite guests on the cruise in question who would be booking a future suite? Or the old Cat 12 (are those still not included in the 10% OBB? Haven't kept up very well with the category changes).
Old 10-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
mammacaryn
Don't be a JERK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaDisneyFreak View Post
Why? Didn't they complete the cruise? Can't control mother nature and it sounds like they did a good job getting everyone home safely, even though it may have been a bit of a scary ride for the passengers.

January 2009 Disney Wonder-Bahamas
March 2010 Disney Magic-Western Caribbean
March 2011 Disney Dream-Bahamas

mammacaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
hawaiian mickey
hawaiian flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammacaryn View Post
Why? Didn't they complete the cruise? Can't control mother nature and it sounds like they did a good job getting everyone home safely, even though it may have been a bit of a scary ride for the passengers.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammacaryn View Post
You are correct in that DCL cannot control Mother Nature.

However, they most certainly CAN control where the ships go.

I was on the Dream cruise that left Thursday. They took us down the coast, around the tip of Florida into the Gulf. Friday morning we had fairly calm seas and even some sunshine. They could have kept us there, but no, they decided instead to turn around and head back into the storm!!!

Additionally, rather than hang back Saturday night and wait for the storm to move out some before heading back to port, they took us even further into the storm just to make port on time this morning!!! For several hours last night, the Murphy bed in our room was slamming open & closed, chairs were falling over, and anything not tacked town or tucked away was flying around the room.

The navigational choices made were NOT safe or in the guests best interests.
Many spent the majority of the cruise sick in their rooms, and many left with bruises they didn't board with.

Yes, we all took our chances cruising during hurricane season, with the belief and understanding that DCL would navigate away from any storms, keeping us safe and giving us the best experience possible.

Unfortunately, DCL instead chose to navigate INTO the storm, causing guests to miss out on a least half of what they paid for!

Here's a list of what was not available to us for the majority of the cruise and/or not at all:

Nassau
Castaway Cay
Upper decks
Promenade deck
Aqua Duck
Pools
Pirate party w/fireworks (partial party was held in the Atrium and fireworks were quickly shot off last night at 7:45 pm)
Meals were a fiasco - I'm guessing they were short staffed due to seasick staff, because the dining service took forever and by the time meals were brought, it was clear they had been sitting for quite some time.

Had better navigational choices been made, we could have at least enjoyed the full ship, which would have made for a much better experience. I would have been happy spending two days at sea on a ship that wasn't rocking and rolling, even without the ports!

The bottom line IMHO is that we did NOT get what we paid for, and my position is that we should be given the 25% as a refund, not as a discount on a future cruise. Honestly, I feel the % should be higher.

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
Juney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy&Grumpy

The bottom line IMHO is that we did NOT get what we paid for, and my position is that we should be given the 25% as a refund, not as a discount on a future cruise. Honestly, I feel the % should be higher.
The whole thing sucks and I would be very disappointed. However as long as Disney held up their end of your contract then you did get what you paid for.
December '09 Disney Western Caribbean 7 Day, Magic
December '10 Walt Disney World, Polynesian
December '11 Disney Mexican Riviera, Wonder
December '12 Disney Eastern Caribbean 7 day, Fantasy

December '13 Disney Western Caribbean 7 day, Fantasy
Juney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
amyg1
Mouseketeer

I think the 25% was on top of the 10%. The letter wasn't that clear. We are going to check our onboard booking on Monday to see what was applied. I was rather shocked that they were giving us the discount - they really didn't have to do anything. Not that I'm going to turn it down. As the letter said, it was a goodwill gesture.
amyg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #12
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyg1 View Post
I think the 25% was on top of the 10%. The letter wasn't that clear. We are going to check our onboard booking on Monday to see what was applied. I was rather shocked that they were giving us the discount - they really didn't have to do anything. Not that I'm going to turn it down. As the letter said, it was a goodwill gesture.
Did you get the letter while still on the ship? My parents raced off the ship to catch their flight (and just made it) and did not receive anything. Meeting her new grand niece yesterday did a lot to heal my Mom. -- Suzanne
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #13
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juney View Post
The whole thing sucks and I would be very disappointed. However as long as Disney held up their end of your contract then you did get what you paid for.
I guess that's where my issue is; I don't feel DCL held up their end. We did not have access to 50% or more of what we paid for... ports, pools, decks, etc... and this was due to bad navigational decisions... not a surprise storm that just happened.

An official decision was made to sail us into a storm, causing us to miss out.

I don't feel that is holding up their end and that is what we will be addressing with DCL directly.

Thank you for your empathy - it is appreciated.

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #14
disneybride96
Yacht Club Gazebo- 11-2-96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy&Grumpy

and this was due to bad navigational decisions... :
I was on that cruise and I in fact know nothing about navigational decisions. Perhaps this were the right decisions. I am no expert.
I chose to get on the ship knowing it would probably not be the best cruise ever. I trusted that the captain would make the best decisions based on the information he had. That storm slowed down over the Bahamas from what was projected. Had we stayed south and had a beautiful day at sea, people would complain that we didn't make a port. We spoke with the captain Friday night and chatted about how amazingly stable the Dream was in those high seas. He mentioned that the classic ships would have been much more "active".

Now Saturday night was rough, but you have to cross the Atlantic Coastal Current sometime. Last night is always the most bumpy no matter what the seas. If we had stayed out longer, I'd still be in Florida trying to get a flight home and there would be a whole boatload of people sitting at Port Canaveral waiting for their cruise.

We saw way more kids on this trip. Would i have been happier if they could have been up on deck or off on port excursion so i could enjoy the ship? Heck yeah! But, we made the most of the trip, and arrived home safe and on time. I for one, think the crew did a great job.

Mutiple Trips- 1972-1995
The Weddings : Sister's Wedding...Wilderness Lodge Jan '96 Intimate Wedding....Yacht Club Nov '96

Boardwalk Grand Villa Upgrade, '98 Shades Of Green '99
The Cruises: Wonder- Jan '04, Magic w/ Antigua- Oct '04, Kin Folk Magic Cruise- Nov '05, Wonder- Jan '06
Won at trip to the Yacht Club- Jan '06
Then Came DVC: SSR - Sept '06, OKW Studio - Jan '07, OKW Grand Villa - Sept '07, AKV/BCV - Jan '08
Magic Halloween Double Dip Oct '08, SSR Pre-Christmas Dec '08,, Jan '09 BCV, Developer Points @ SSR - Sept '09,
BLT Homecoming- Dec '09,Wonder & BWV- Jan '10, HHI- Oct '10, Nephews to BLT- Jan '11, DISNEYLAND VGC- Oct '11
Dream/BLT - Nov '11, Princess Trip/Treehouse - Oct '12,
Super Storm Sandy Dream Cruise - Oct '12 , AKV/BCV -Jan '13 .
disneybride96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #15
boogabuzz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy&Grumpy View Post
I guess that's where my issue is; I don't feel DCL held up their end. We did not have access to 50% or more of what we paid for... ports, pools, decks, etc... and this was due to bad navigational decisions... not a surprise storm that just happened.

An official decision was made to sail us into a storm, causing us to miss out.

I don't feel that is holding up their end and that is what we will be addressing with DCL directly.

Thank you for your empathy - it is appreciated.
I don't quite get why you keep saying the Dream sailed in to the storm. I live on the east coast of Florida about an hour south of PC. By sat morning, the actual "storm" was north of PC. The Fantasy did end up right in the storm. While there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that you guys did indeed experiance very rough seas, the ship(Dream, that is) was never sailed in the storm. The entire east coast of Fl had extremely high seas from 10/24(we were on the Dream that disembarked 10/25) through just yesterday when they finally calmed a little. The winds here were pretty strong through Monday. Yes, the seas were defintely higher on your cruise. Not to mention, there was full moon as well as cool air moving through Florida that weekend. None of which make for very bright skies or calm seas. That really stinks, I feel for you. It truly sucks that bad weather can ruin people's vacations. But I think it's pretty unfair to act as though they sailed you directly in the storm.
boogabuzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: