Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
rustyanchor
Mouseketeer

Whispering Canyon Cafe

I have never been to Whispering Canyon Cafe and thought it sounded fun, so I made an ADR awhile back for the night of our arrival on an upcoming trip in February. However I have been reading that the menu has changed and that apparently people aren't happy with the new menu? Could someone tell me why the changes are bad? I read the new menu online and it still sounds pretty good to me. I'm wondering if the food is bad now and I should change our ADR to something else. If I do keep it, could someone recommend to me what foods are best for the skillet (out of the "pick 3" meats)? Thanks for any input.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

There is no more skillet. It's now a "platter."

Lunch is now completely a la carte and dinner is all you can eat platter only (they do have a separate kids menu although kids can get the platter if they want it for $15.99)

I think some are just reacting to the changes and they much preferred the previous food and format. The changes made were pretty drastic, and were apparently designed to move guests through more quickly at dinner. If the menu looks good to you, there is no reason not to give it a try just because someone else doesn't think it looks good.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 10-23-2012 at 12:50 PM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
rustyanchor
Mouseketeer

Okay, thanks. I guess what I was wondering specifically is if the quality of the food had gone down along with the menu changes or if it was just the loss of some menu items that had upset people enough to make them cancel their ADRs. I saw the menu before the changes and the "skillet"(now "platter") is probably what I would have ordered in the first place, and it doesn't look terribly different.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
Deb loves Disney
Keep Moving Forward

Location: Overland Park, KS...recently moved from Orlando area

I can't vouch for the new dinner menu but we ate there for lunch yesterday. Everybody really liked their food and the quality was still very good. I did miss the skillet option, especially the sausages because they were so delicious!

I had the tuna melt and it was pretty delicious. My husband had the rib dinner and ate every bit of it, lol. We were also dining with friends who had just about everything else, nobody complained and all the food disappeared from their plates. The staff was hilarious and made me laugh so much. We even had the ketchup run end up on our table which was entertaining. I hadn't seen that happen in quite awhile.
Deb loves Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
heather13
DIS Veteran

We had lunch there yesterday too!! (maybe my kids brought you ketchup, Deb )
I agree, the food was yummy. We also ordered room service several nights ago which I was told comes from the WCC kitchen. The ribs and chicken dinner were amazing.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
Deb loves Disney
Keep Moving Forward

Location: Overland Park, KS...recently moved from Orlando area

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather13 View Post
We had lunch there yesterday too!! (maybe my kids brought you ketchup, Deb )
I agree, the food was yummy. We also ordered room service several nights ago which I was told comes from the WCC kitchen. The ribs and chicken dinner were amazing.
No way!!! We were there around 1-2 and were sitting in the back at a big round table. I know the kids that brought us ketchup came from somewhere near the front/center. They were so cute about it, lol. We eventually gave ours to the table next to us, maybe that was you?? It was really fun and I had missed seeing it happen!
Deb loves Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

I'm just not happy with the limited choice at dinner. For me, my husband and 12 year old daughter, dinner there will be over $100. If I wanted to spend that, I would ave booked Chef Mickey's that night. Now it's too late to get in anywhere else.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
heather13
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb loves Disney View Post
No way!!! We were there around 1-2 and were sitting in the back at a big round table. I know the kids that brought us ketchup came from somewhere near the front/center. They were so cute about it, lol. We eventually gave ours to the table next to us, maybe that was you?? It was really fun and I had missed seeing it happen!
I know exactly where you were! We arrived right about when you gave the ketchup to the table next to you. It was DH & me, my mom in a wheelchair and two young kids.

What's funny is that we almost didn't make it to WCC at all, based on recommendations here. I had two dinner reservations that I cancelled in lieu of time at the parks. In retrospect, I kind of wish we'd kept the dinner ressies since the atmosphere was so much fun.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
rustyanchor
Mouseketeer

Well after a little deliberation, taking into account the replies on this thread, other posts I have seen, and some unfavorable recent reviews, I decided to cancel our ADR for WCC. I would actually like to try the lunch there, but after seeing some pictures of the new "platter" I was not impressed at all with the looks of the dinner food. I moved some ADRs around and now we are doing 'Ohana on our first night instead (which I know comes with its own mixed reviews, but I have never been and have wanted to go for a long time, so I'm definitely trying it!).
Old 11-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
musketmickey
Earning My Ears

oh too bad i quite enjoyed it
Old 11-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
nkereina
Wendy Darling

We liked the atmosphere and food there, but I am disappointed to hear dinner is only the platter now. In the past, I would get the pasta dish because I am not a BBQ fan or a big meat eater. Now I won't have that option if we want to go back.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #12
Tropical Wilds
The Command considers us a bunch of losers. But we’re gonna do it right this time, ’cause we’re the best. If we don’t... We’ll be drummed out of the corps.

I ate there post-menu change and thought the food was really, really good. The hassle of getting there and back was a bit much, but the food was worth it.

Whispering Canyon Cafe - Whispering Canyon Chocolate Cake by Tropical Wilds, on Flickr

Whispering Canyon Cafe - Kansas City style Smoked Pork Ribs with corn by Tropical Wilds, on Flickr

Whispering Canyon Cafe - Hand-carved Oak-roasted Beef Strip Loin, Kansas City style Smoked Pork Ribs, Western-style sausage, Seasonal Farm Fresh Vegetables, Herb-crusted Yukon Gold Potatoes by Tropical Wilds, on Flickr

Whispering Canyon Cafe - Kansas City style Smoked Pork Ribs, Hand-carved Oak-roasted Beef Strip Loin, Western-style sausage, Seasonal Farm Fresh Vegetables, Herb-crusted Yukon Gold Potatoes by Tropical Wilds, on Flickr
11/1994 ~ CBR, 11/1996 ~ CBR, 11/1999 ~ Off-site (Grad Night!), 11/2007 ~ CBR, 9/2011 ~ ASMu, 1/2012 ~ POP, 10/2012 ~ POP, 1/2013 ~ Poly, 5/2013 ~ POP, 11/7/2013 ~ CBR Wine and Dine Half Marathon! 2/2014 ~ Poly Glass Slipper Challenge

Next trip: 11/2014 ~ Wine and Dine Half 5th Anniversary

°o°Find Me on Flickr°o°My Blog - The Disney Chef°o°
Tropical Wilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
oka1jeg
Earning My Ears

We have reservations for dinner here in mid-December. After the menu changes, negative reviews and limited menu we were debating cancelling. We decided to keep them b/c we really want to see Wilderness Lodge decorated and think our kids will love it. The pictures you posted look really yummy, so I'm not so worried now! Thanks!
oka1jeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:22 PM   #14
SLamott1973
Earning My Ears

We ate dinner there last year and the menu was great after making reservations for our upcoming trip I am considered canceling, we go in 2 days so we shall see....

10/2014 Wilderness Lodge
11/2012 Wilderness lodge
4/2011 CBR
SLamott1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:51 PM   #15
rustyanchor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLamott1973 View Post
We ate dinner there last year and the menu was great after making reservations for our upcoming trip I am considered canceling, we go in 2 days so we shall see....
If you don't cancel then please post a review! I am still curious.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: