Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #1
ranman1973
Earning My Ears

Where to stay for family of 5 in Orlando?

Yeah, this question has probably been asked before but it's good to keep things fresh, right?

So, for a family of 5, what are the desired placed to stay? I'm mostly interested in the placed in Florida / Orlando that come up on Hotwire or Priceline because I can save so much money?

What do people think about AirBnb for Orlando and other parts of Florida.
ranman1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
Fantasmiss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranman1973
Yeah, this question has probably been asked before but it's good to keep things fresh, right?

So, for a family of 5, what are the desired placed to stay? I'm mostly interested in the placed in Florida / Orlando that come up on Hotwire or Priceline because I can save so much money?

Sorry, I know this isn't answering your question, but if at all possible, I'd recommend staying on property. I'd rather stay anywhere on property than anywhere off property.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
May 2008 - WDW - All Star Sports - 2 weeks
Jan 2009 - WDW - All Star Music + All Star Movies - 2 weeks - birthday trip
Feb/Mar 2010 - DLP - Santa Fe - 6 days
Jan 2011 - WDW - All Star Movies & Pop Century - 17 days - birthday trip
May 2011 - WDW - All Star Sports - 17 days - anniversary trip
Nov 2011 - DLP - Hotel Cheyenne - 6 days
Oct/Nov 2012 - WDW - All Star Sports+Art of Animation - 3 weeks - 10th Disney Trip
Oct/Nov 2013 - WDW - All Star Sports - 25 days - birthday trip
MAR 2014 - DLP - Hotel Cheyenne - 5 days- birthday trip

MAY 2014 - WDW - ALL STAR SPORTS - 17 DAYS - ANNIVERSARY TRIP!

Fantasmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranman1973

You will want to post on the Orlando hotels board; this board is for on-site resorts.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
TigrLvsPooh
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Anthony's Girl
Got my way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranman1973 View Post

Hello! Here is a link to the Orlando hotel message board: http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15
TigrLvsPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

I'll move this over to the Orlando Hotels board...
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
ranman1973
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne M View Post
I'll move this over to the Orlando Hotels board...
Thanks everyone. I didn't notice the subtle distinction between boards when I posted.

ranman1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
Upatnoon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranman1973 View Post

The best deals for a family of 5? Renting timeshares. There are a ton of great ones in Orlando. Start your research by looking at wyndham bonnet creek, but that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Upatnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #8
DawnM
Dawn

It might be better to start with asking what you are looking for?

1. What is your budget, or what price range are you looking for?
2. What size do you want? 2 bedroom? 3 bedroom?
3. House? Condo? Does it matter to you?

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:17 AM   #9
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
I'm mostly interested in the placed in Florida / Orlando that come up on Hotwire or Priceline because I can save so much money?
Unlike many other areas of the US, the best deals in Orlando aren't really hotels. Instead, it might be worth looking into either (a) privately owned condos, townhomes, or pool homes that are zoned for short-term rental, or (b) a timeshare condo, rented from an owner. Option A is like staying in your uncle's (usually very nice) home that happens to be a stone's throw from WDW property---lots of privacy, very quiet, but not necessarily a "resort" in nature. Option B will be a little more "in the action", but will also have more common resort amenities---pools, food service, maybe mini-golf, etc.

The most commonly-mentioned neighborhood for private rentals is Windsor Hills. The most commonly-mentioned timeshare is Bonnet Creek. But, there are many (many!) others.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #10
baler31
DIS Veteran

Where to stay depends upon what you are doing in the area, family dynamics and what sort of service you desire. Other than that keep in mind Priceline only prices for a 1 bed room does not guarantee occupancy for anything over 2.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
DawnM
Dawn

Since you say you are interested in Hotwire/Priceline (both of which do not guarantee a room for 5 by the way) I will offer another alternative, SkyAuction.com

I will go back and find some posts I have made about it in the past to explain how it works, but we travel to Orlando this way and it has been fantastic, with only one place I will never visit again (Westgate!) and repost them here.

Right now we are leaving Sunday to stay at Polynesian Isles for $229/wk including taxes for a 2 bedroom with a full kitchen. That is $32.71/night.

Dawn

Old 10-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #12
DawnM
Dawn

Here is my "method:"

1. Go to SkyAuction.com and buy resort certificates. (type in Resort Certificates in the Keyword Search bar)
2. Go to ResortCerts.com and see what is available.
3. If it is a resort I haven't stayed in yet, I check it out on TripAdvisor.com.
4. If I am still not thrilled with the choices, I keep coming back and checking. New resorts are added all the time.
5. Just remember, once you book, it is YOURS, so don't book until you are sure that is the week and location you want to have.

For example: This trip I needed 2 weeks. I found one of my weeks at a place I was willing to book. I then waited about a week more and the 2nd week I needed showed up at that same resort. So, we will not be able to stay in the same local the entire time.

Typically the best selection is closer to the travel date. I booked last week for our trip that starts Oct. 28.

The other thing to note is that you have the condo for the full 7 nights. You can call to check in a day or two later if you need to or you can leave a day or two early if you wish. Just make sure that if you are checking in LATE that you CALL and let them know so they don't assume you aren't coming at all.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Also, pay *very* close attention to the extra fees on some sky auction certificates. What looks like a good deal on the surface sometimes isn't at all.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #14
DawnM
Dawn

If you buy the certificates you aren't bidding. Once you purchase them, that is the final price.

Of course it is always a good idea to read the fine print.

I have never found hotels to be a good deal and the auctions vary wildly in price......same place can range from $1-$300 plus a $299 weekly fee on top of that.

That is why I don't mess around with the auctions, I haven't found them to be the best deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Noble View Post
Also, pay *very* close attention to the extra fees on some sky auction certificates. What looks like a good deal on the surface sometimes isn't at all.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #15
Stacy's a freak
wrangles snakes

I'm in the same boat so I'm eager to read the suggestions. Staying onsite is usually my preference as a solo or two-person trip. But now that I am marrying into a family with three kids, staying onsite just isn't practical. The only cost-effective option is staying at POR with the trundle but I cannot imagine having 2 adults, one 16 year old, a 9 year old and a 6 year old in one small hotel room. So we're looking offsite too and the options are too expansive. We are probably looking at a suite somewhere, at the very least.