Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
rossjen2
Mouseketeer

Questions/Advice regarding flight from Barcelona

Hi Everyone!
Just seeking some advice regarding flights home from Barcelona and airfare rates….

Flying to Barcelona isn’t as big of deal because we are planning to arrive several days early to explore the city and overcome jetlag….so I am good there because we will have more flexibility regarding days/times. Plus we will be excited to start our magical adventure so we will probably be much more tolerant of trudging through airports, layovers, etc.
However, on the way home….

It seems like quite a few of the return flights that I have been looking at leave BCN around 11:15-11:45ish. But just one or two flights that leave later (around 1:00pm). It is our first overseas trip with our son, who will be 4 at the time of travel – so trying to minimize stops and total flight times to keep everyone happy. We are flying back to Denver and wish to fly back on the day the ship arrives back to Barcelona – although if flying out the next day would save us enough pay for the hotel room/etc., then I am open to the idea of flying back the following day.

On the DCL site, I know it recommends that flights should be scheduled for 12:30 and later. I am just wondering about people’s experience with disembarking at the port in Barcelona/traffic/etc. Do you think that 11:15-11:45 flight times are easily doable? I obviously don’t want to spend the last day of our amazing vacation stressing about missing a flight – yet, I don’t want to spend more time than necessary mulling around the airport.

On a related note, the flights that I have been looking at (that would allow us to fly home on the day we disembark) are either on Air Canada (Barcelona-Toronto-Denver) or British Airways/American Airlines (Barcelona-London-Denver or Barcelona-Miami-Denver). I think the BA flights are the ones that would allow us to depart Barcelona after 1pm. Prices for that flight have been hovering right around $1,300 (RT) since I’ve been tracking them for the past month or so. I’ve seen prices for flights DEN-BCN get down just under $1,000 but of course that is just for other random dates. I understand that June is peak time as opposed to random times in the winter (or whenever the good prices have been for) but obviously that is a decent price difference – especially x3 passengers so I am reluctant to purchase airfare just yet – hoping for a sale/better price– however, I am nervous if I wait too long, all of the good flights (shorter total flight time, only one stop, etc) will be full or unavailable at the better rate.

I was thinking about holding out until Thanksgiving time – it seems like sometimes airlines offer sales around that time of year…..

Just wondering if anyone has some advice regarding flight times and airfare – thanks in advance!! - jen
rossjen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
DisneyOHFan
Livin' for Disney

There are a few threads on this. We are catching an 11:45 AM flight. I called Disney and they said that I should plan to use a private car service (others on other threads said that wasn't necessary).

Also, others have mentioned on previous Med cruises, Disney asks that people who have earlier flights to go to GS a day or 2 before the end of the cruise to let them know.

If we catch a later flight, it will require multiple stops and a lot longer to get home, which we do not want to do.
DisneyOHFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Our return flight leaves at 11:55 am. From everything that I've read, this is very doable. I've even read about people that have had a 10:45 flight and made it just fine. There is another thread about this same subject that you could look at and it shouldn't be that far back. It's got some great info!
Tracerr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

I flew from Barcelona to Denver on Delta in 2010 and took the 11:45ish flight. I got to the airport in plenty of time (I took advantage of walking off the ship early with my luggage and took taxi to the airport)...I had lots of "waiting" time at the airport. I had a 4 hour layover at JFK (2 of those were just trying to clear immigration/customs/TSA) and then got into Denver very late. It was a VERY long day but doable.

HTH

Jill in CO
Old 10-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

When I did this in 2010 and 2011, DCL had special disembarkation arrangements for those with flights before 10 am. I had a 10:30 flight and checked in with GS--they said I was fine...and I was.

It is only about 30 minutes from the cruise terminal to the airport. We were there a couple of hours early and hung around the airport reading our novels.....there is little to do at the airport once you go thru security.

What you do NOT want to do is to try to take a taxi--there was a LONG line of guests for taxis and it was slow going. On the DCL transportation, no problem at all.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
owensamo
DIS Veteran

Look into pre-booking for private transportation. My DH pre-booked us with a company (I can't recall whom) who took the 5 of us to the airport in a minivan. I'm pretty sure they were scheduled to pick us up at like 8-8:30am, and we had a 11:40am flight to London for a few post-cruise days.

Even given that it was the day of the European Soccer finals, with Barcelona playing Manchester United in London, we had no problems getting through security (though DH did have to dump our spray sunscreen because he had packed it in the carryons) and getting on the plane. It was quite an interesting atmosphere, though - the terminal was packed with pretty much half of Barcelona travelling to London with or without tickets to the game!
Disney Magic: 7N - 1/19/08, 1/17/09, 12/19/09; 14N EBTA - 5/14/11; 12N N Europe - 7/22/15
owensamo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: