Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
moopdog
Dreaming of Disney....

Getting an upgrade...what's the etiquette?

I've never been upgraded at any hotel on any trip. I have to wonder...is it because I've never asked for it at check-in? I would feel weird/rude flat out asking! I honestly don't know if only upgrade those that ask (when they have the availability to do so, of course), or if they like to shock guests by springing it on them, like SUPRISE!!

I've also noticed people commenting lately on the fact that when they've done the on-line check in in advance, they haven't gotten their room request. Is there anything to that? I just want to know:

a) how to improve my chances for an upgrade, and
b) when and how should we make our room requests, and
c) what are the best buildings for POFQ and AKL (standard view...but hoping for an upgrade )
Old 10-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
NHKristy76
Senior Mousketeer

I've been upgraded twice and never when I've asked for it... I suggest paying for the room you want and not ask for upgrades.
NHKristy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran

Etiquette would be never ask, but say "thank you" if you have the fortune of getting upgraded. Never leave your vacation to the slim chance of getting an upgrade, book what you want in advance.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
moopdog
Dreaming of Disney....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHKristy76 View Post
I've been upgraded twice and never when I've asked for it... I suggest paying for the room you want and not ask for upgrades.
Well my room is already paid for, so that part is done. So did they just let you know at check-in, or did you see it on your online reservation in advance. Do they ever explain WHY you're getting an upgrade? Sorry for being naive, just curious.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moopdog View Post
So did they just let you know at check-in, or did you see it on your online reservation in advance. Do they ever explain WHY you're getting an upgrade? Sorry for being naive, just curious.
You will find out when you check-in. I've never heard of anyone being told the real reason for the upgrade.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
moopdog
Dreaming of Disney....

Great feedback. Thanks guys.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
FLCyndi
Mouseketeer

I did get an upgrade at AKL a couple years ago. I orignally booked for a Savannah view-my DH talked me into downgrading room to no view and have more money to spend in parks. So I did downgrade room.

Upon check in the CM said you wanted a Savannah view? I said I did but had downgraded to a regular room. She said we put you in a Savannah view with no extra cost. Didn't ask why-I was thrilled.
FLCyndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #8
reiella
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
You will find out when you check-in. I've never heard of anyone being told the real reason for the upgrade.
Only times I've heard of someone being told the reason is when it's being done to resolve a room problem that the customer discovered [ie, Snake in the Room].
reiella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
Tigger's ally
Segway test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiella View Post
Only times I've heard of someone being told the reason is when it's being done to resolve a room problem that the customer discovered [ie, Snake in the Room].
Somebody would ask to be moved just because a snake was in the room? Cowards, cmon dudes, it's Florida.
Tigger's ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #10
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

In some cases, they intentionally overbook the lowest price category (standard). If they are having problems filling the higher priced (savannah view), they will overbook the lower priced one and plan to offer upgrades. I think that's why you hear of frequent upgrades at AKL.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
scjo68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiella View Post
I would need an upgrade (or at least a new room) and possibly a tranquilizer!
Aug. 2013 POP, Nov. 2013 CR

scjo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:21 PM   #12
NHKristy76
Senior Mousketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moopdog View Post
Well my room is already paid for, so that part is done. So did they just let you know at check-in, or did you see it on your online reservation in advance. Do they ever explain WHY you're getting an upgrade? Sorry for being naive, just curious.
It happened to me as I checked in... I was told, as they entered the info in the computer, that they had a surprise for me!

Once it was because they had an open suite... I'm not sure if they ever told us why the second time...
NHKristy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #13
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I have been upgraded, it just depends on how booked they are. Our last trip at AKL in late August, we booked pool view, and no upgrade. Resort was at 100% capacity. So I was really glad I booked pool view and not standard view with hope of upgrade.
I would book a room you will be happy with, and if you get an upgrade it's icing on the cake.
I've never asked.

I have all my room requests attached to my reservation, you have to phone reservations, and ask.

Have a great trip.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #14
JanB
DIS Veteran

At AKL, the Standard rooms are basically those rooms that cannot be classified as either Pool View or Savannah View. The Standard rooms won't have much of a view at all ---- parking lot, loading dock, that sort of thing. That's the downside of the AKL Standard ---- the view is less than desireable. I don't think that there is much point in making a special room request if you have a Standard room reserved.

The upside is that there really are not very many Standard rooms at AKL. The chances of them being overbooked are good. The other upside (in my opinion) is that it allows you to stay at AKL for a much more reasonable price than Savannah View. There are LOTS of public areas where you can view the animals.

If the Savannah View is not in your budget, an option to consider is a Pool View. If I recall correctly (and I certainly might be wrong), the cost of a Pool View is closer to the cost of a Standard than it is to the cost of a Savannah View. If you do not get an upgrade, then you still have a pleasant view from your room.
JanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #15
cwt580
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanB View Post
At AKL, the Standard rooms are basically those rooms that cannot be classified as either Pool View or Savannah View. The Standard rooms won't have much of a view at all ---- parking lot, loading dock, that sort of thing. That's the downside of the AKL Standard ---- the view is less than desireable. I don't think that there is much point in making a special room request if you have a Standard room reserved.

The upside is that there really are not very many Standard rooms at AKL. The chances of them being overbooked are good. The other upside (in my opinion) is that it allows you to stay at AKL for a much more reasonable price than Savannah View. There are LOTS of public areas where you can view the animals.

If the Savannah View is not in your budget, an option to consider is a Pool View. If I recall correctly (and I certainly might be wrong), the cost of a Pool View is closer to the cost of a Standard than it is to the cost of a Savannah View. If you do not get an upgrade, then you still have a pleasant view from your room.
think $10 more a night for pool view. well worth the $$$

cwt580 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: