Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
lorimay
DIS Veteran
 
lorimay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,748

Serenity Bay

So this will be our first cruise that goes to Castaway Cay where it will just be me and hubby.
We have always been on the family beach and this past January we were lucky enough to snag a cabana.
We were 8 people with 2 toddlers so it was perfect for the day. With just the 2 of us I don't think we will do that this time.

We have never been to Serenity Bay, snuck a peek in 2002 while we were biking with kids.

Tell me about the difference and share pics if you have them please.
Is there an adult restaurant on that side?

Thanks,
Lori
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
outahere
 
outahere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Annual Passholder an hour from WDW
Posts: 5,358

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorimay View Post
So this will be our first cruise that goes to Castaway Cay where it will just be me and hubby.
We have always been on the family beach and this past January we were lucky enough to snag a cabana.
We were 8 people with 2 toddlers so it was perfect for the day. With just the 2 of us I don't think we will do that this time.

We have never been to Serenity Bay, snuck a peek in 2002 while we were biking with kids.

Tell me about the difference and share pics if you have them please.
Is there an adult restaurant on that side?

Thanks,
Lori
We had a cabana at Serenity Bay on our last cruise, just to try one there. It was just as nice as the ones we've had on the family beach, but we decided it really wasn't necessary to enjoy the quiet on that beach. The beach did seem to start getting more crowded after lunch, but was still peaceful.

There is an adults only restaurant there which serves pretty much the same menu as Cookies on the family beach, with one exception..... they have small rib eye steaks that they grill to order.

If you swim there, it's really not all that deep and there is no shark net (like at the family beach), so you may see more marine life. I saw plenty of starfish and a few small rays, but nothing dangerous.

All in all..... a very nice, quiet way to spend the day. We WILL go back!
__________________

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013 / November, 2014
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
lorimay
DIS Veteran
 
lorimay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,748

Ohhhh.....

Never thought about the cabanas over there....... Hmmmmm....

Very good idea!

Thanks!
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
eva
Often uses her unique ability to shut down threads.

DIS Veteran
 
eva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: IL, USA
Posts: 5,677

We love Serenity Bay. I kind of feel like we are on a Corona commercial. It is quite and relaxing. I love putting a chair in the water with a Konk Kooler and a good book. Just keep in mind that it is much more relaxed. If you want to do a lot, you may like the family beach more. But if you like to leisurely float around or sit under an umbrella and read, you will love it. We love the atmosphere at Cookie's 2 much more than the one on the family beach. The steaks are decent and the relaxed atmosphere continues there.
__________________
Eva
eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
lorimay
DIS Veteran
 
lorimay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,748

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva View Post
We love Serenity Bay. I kind of feel like we are on a Corona commercial. It is quite and relaxing. I love putting a chair in the water with a Konk Kooler and a good book. Just keep in mind that it is much more relaxed. If you want to do a lot, you may like the family beach more. But if you like to leisurely float around or sit under an umbrella and read, you will love it. We love the atmosphere at Cookie's 2 much more than the one on the family beach. The steaks are decent and the relaxed atmosphere continues there.
That is so funny you say that because every time that Corona commercial comes on I tell him I want to be there with him!!!!

That is for sure our idea of a perfect day!
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
outahere
 
outahere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Annual Passholder an hour from WDW
Posts: 5,358

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva View Post
We love the atmosphere at Cookie's 2 much more than the one on the family beach. The steaks are decent and the relaxed atmosphere continues there.
Can't remember the exact name of the restaurant at SB, but Cookies 2 is near the cabanas/Pelican Plunge on the family beach. The steaks were pretty good, but they are pretty thin, so I wouldn't order one well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorimay View Post
Ohhhh.....

Never thought about the cabanas over there....... Hmmmmm....

Very good idea!

Thanks!
There are only 4 cabanas at SB, and they seemed a little more spread out than the ones on the family beach. The good thing is they are $100 cheaper ($399 last I looked) than the ones on the family beach.
__________________

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013 / November, 2014
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #7
eva
Often uses her unique ability to shut down threads.

DIS Veteran
 
eva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: IL, USA
Posts: 5,677

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post
Can't remember the exact name of the restaurant at SB, but Cookies 2 is near the cabanas/Pelican Plunge on the family beach. The steaks were pretty good, but they are pretty thin, so I wouldn't order one well done.
Sorry, guess I have the name wrong. What is the name of the one at Serenity Bay?
__________________
Eva
eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
outahere
 
outahere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Annual Passholder an hour from WDW
Posts: 5,358

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva View Post
Sorry, guess I have the name wrong. What is the name of the one at Serenity Bay?
No problem, just didn't want anyone to get confused.

I can't remember the name of the one at SB, and I don't see the name on the Castaway Cay map in the FAQ sticky. I'll try to find a more current map.
__________________

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013 / November, 2014
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #9
chemnerd09
Mouseketeer
 
chemnerd09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post
We had a cabana at Serenity Bay on our last cruise, just to try one there. It was just as nice as the ones we've had on the family beach, but we decided it really wasn't necessary to enjoy the quiet on that beach. The beach did seem to start getting more crowded after lunch, but was still peaceful.

There is an adults only restaurant there which serves pretty much the same menu as Cookies on the family beach, with one exception..... they have small rib eye steaks that they grill to order.

If you swim there, it's really not all that deep and there is no shark net (like at the family beach), so you may see more marine life. I saw plenty of starfish and a few small rays, but nothing dangerous.

All in all..... a very nice, quiet way to spend the day. We WILL go back!
That sounds like the way to take a vacation. Thanks for the info about the adults only restaurant. I was hoping we wouldn't have to leave our slice of heaven to find something to eat.
__________________
DVC member since 2013 with 24 years of WDW trips and counting
Next Trip: WL/BWV/CR Atrium/Dream/CR Atrium

chemnerd09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
aymekae
Mouseketeer
 
aymekae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lancaster, CA
Posts: 413

Only one cruise, and went adult-only, so I can't compare SB to the family beach. But we went kind of during the off-season (Dec. 10, 2011) and our beach was so empty. Tons of empty chairs, esp. the farther out you got. We had no real plans for the day, we grouped up with our awesome table mates, and it was seriously out of a commercial. Never felt more relaxed in my life. Literally sat on that beach for hours with my toes in the water. Waded in a few times. Had lunch (which was not crowded). Sat longer. It rained/sprinkled for about 5-10 minutes and everyone started running away. Maybe it's because I live in the desert and rarely get rain, but I loved the whole experience and just stayed put.
__________________

Ben (32) Ayme (28) Ian (10 mo)

DLR Trips - Last: Sep. 2013 Next: Jan. 2014
Honeymoon to WDW (Wilderness Lodge) Sep. 11, 2008
Western Caribbean Cruise (Magic) Dec. 10, 2011
Aulani Nov. 3-12, 2012
Eastern Caribbean Cruise (Fantasy) Dec. 14, 2013
Disneyland Jan. 16-18, 2014 (Neverland 5K)
aymekae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #11
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran
 
wendyoconnor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 863

I don't remember a name to the place where they served the bbq at SB. I don't think it was on the map because we were surprised that it was there. We were planning on going back to the family beach for lunch. We ran into our tablemates and had an enjoyable lunch, even saw Captain Marco enjoying lunch. This was in April.

We will miss SB next year, we will have a little one with us.
__________________
[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #12
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran
 
wendyoconnor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 863

photos of Serenety Bay

__________________
[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #13
rachelm23
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 216

Here is one of us way out on the sandbar. We also found a huge gorgeous orange starfish.
rachelm23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:39 AM   #14
2disneycruzrs
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 810

We loved the peacefulness of SB. We always cruise Sep-Dec, and it's never been crowded. I wouldn't get a cabana there IMHO and never worried about our things there being unattended. Now the family beach is another matter so we're getting one since we have a 3YO this time and want the peace of SB.
__________________
Jen
Click Here for Cruise Packing List, First-Timer Tips, Airline and Port Information and More.
Click Here for Stateroom Photos of Dream/Fantasy 6186 and 6190 plus Wonder/Magic 8102 and 8532.

Wonder 10/14 * Reimagined Magic 12/13 * Swan/Dream/Animation: 12/12 * Beach Club: 1/12 - work * AKL/Dream: 9/11 - my daughter's and nieces' first cruise! * Beach Club/Wonder: 11/08 - work * Beach Club/Wonder: 8/08 - work (I get paid to go?!) * Dolphin/Wonder: 12/05 * RCCL - Jewel inaugural season (Western) 4/05-work * RCCL - Serenade inaugural season (Alaska) 8/04 - work * Swan/Magic: 11/03 Eastern * Dolphin/Wonder 10/02 - our honeymoon * WDW '83
2disneycruzrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.