Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

Disney Visa......Is It Worth It?

Been looking for the answer but can't find it. Wondering if it is worth getting one if the offers end up for the general public as well.....would love input as I don't know if there are perks that are strictly for cardholders.

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 14, DD 9
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
fanoftigger
Mouseketeer

We just accepted an offer to get the card.

I only did because we got a $200 Disney gift card after charging $500 in the first 3 months.

We pay it off monthly, do that was worth it to me. We also got no annual fee for the first year.

Although the offer did go to the general public, it was available to cardholders earlier.

There is also a character meet and greet just for cardholders at Epcot (I think that's the correct park).

There are a few other perks as well.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
fanoftigger is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
MMS1125
"You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality."

I liked the special financing when we first got it. We had 6 months no interest to pay off our trip and Disney purchases

MMS1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
AmyTL
Earning My Ears

Does anyone know if the $200 offer is an annual promotion, perhaps offered in a certain season each year (after Christmas)? From reading posts and online searching, it seems like the $200 gift card was offered in the late winter/spring of 2012?

We're considering getting a Disney Visa and just wondering if we should hold out a bit longer.

Also - hope two questions are allowed (newbie) - can anyone provide details on the cardholder character experiences?

Thanks!
Amy
AmyTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
yooperfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyTL View Post
Does anyone know if the $200 offer is an annual promotion, perhaps offered in a certain season each year (after Christmas)? From reading posts and online searching, it seems like the $200 gift card was offered in the late winter/spring of 2012?

We're considering getting a Disney Visa and just wondering if we should hold out a bit longer.

Also - hope two questions are allowed (newbie) - can anyone provide details on the cardholder character experiences?

Thanks!
Amy
We received a $200. Disney gift card for applying for the regular Disney visa. There is no annual fee and qualified for the $200 card after first purchase of any size. Offer came snail mail but could apply online and get instant approval.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
AmyTL
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperfan View Post
We received a $200. Disney gift card for applying for the regular Disney visa. There is no annual fee and qualified for the $200 card after first purchase of any size. Offer came snail mail but could apply online and get instant approval.
Thanks for this info. Did you get the snail mail offer recently? The website currently says $100 gift for Premium Visa and $50 gift card for the regular card.

Thanks in advance for any additional info.

Amy
AmyTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
yooperfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyTL View Post
Thanks for this info. Did you get the snail mail offer recently? The website currently says $100 gift for Premium Visa and $50 gift card for the regular card.

Thanks in advance for any additional info.

Amy
A couple of months ago. We got quite a few AP's before they upped the offer. I almost threw it away, noticed the $200 offer right as I was dropping it in the trash pile. We received the gift card only a couple of weeks after first purchase. Received 0% interest for 6mo. on the deposit we put on the reward visa for offer we took for our trip in January to Disneyworld also. So far we have saved $600 between the resort pkg visa offer and the gift card for signing up.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #8
tehvalerie
Mouseketeer

For us, absolutely, though we didn't get it for the cardholder perks. We got the rewards card (not premier, so no annual fee) right after buying our house in February knowing we had a trip planned for January 2013. We've used it for all our monthly expenses paying it off as we go. Obviously this depends on your personal spending for how much you'll earn in reward dollars, but it's knocked a significant portion of the cost off our next trip.
tehvalerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

There is also a new Disney debit card through Chase. If you have a current chase checking, you can just order a new Disney debit card for the same checking account.

You get the exact same perks as the Disney Visa credit card, you just won't receive rewards points to turn in. But you'll get the discounts early, you'll get the 10% off at the Disney Store, the special meet N' greet, etc.

The rewards points on the Disney Visa credit card are really nice to use towards our trips. And agreeing with a pp, the 6 months same as cash on the vacation is a great option.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #10
hurt817
Earning My Ears

I researched both the Disney Visa & Southwest Airlines Signature Visa by Chase & ended up going with the SW card - I received 50,000 points just for signing up which paid for 3 of my round trip flights! Saved me about $900! Just my 2 cents.
hurt817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much everyone! Going to weigh it out with your info

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 14, DD 9
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
pmaurer74
DIS Veteran

I really like it. We use our earnings to buy our park tickets every year and take advantage of the 6 months 0% financing for trips.
GF - 3/12
SSR/VWL - 6/12
BC CL - 6/13
WL - 12/13
WL - 12/14
pmaurer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
momhmmx2
Life is a gift...Have Fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurt817 View Post
I researched both the Disney Visa & Southwest Airlines Signature Visa by Chase & ended up going with the SW card - I received 50,000 points just for signing up which paid for 3 of my round trip flights! Saved me about $900! Just my 2 cents.
I have both..got the Disney one for the $100 after first purchase..I only use this card when at Disney...

I got the SWA for the 50K miles (actually both my husband and I did) We were able to get 5RT tickets and still have about 8,000 points left over. We activated the cards paid the yearly fee of I think $69 dollars. After our trip, we plan on canceling these cards..

Me,DH;dd16,ds13
momhmmx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #14
snarfblatt
Mouseketeer

We got the $200 gift card also and already have $90 in rewards dollars to cash in when we get there next month.
I'm not sure it is right for everyone...like any other card. But we looked at going on a Disney cruise is a year or two... Perfect way to save some money for it!

Darn that Southwest deal would have helped us out too!!

DS (9) DS (6) Dh ME
2000- All Star Music
2005- Sheraton Vistana
2010- Sheraton Vistana
2012- PORFQ
snarfblatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #15
mom2ntbj
Earning My Ears

Do the reward dollars expire or can you accumulate them over a long period of time?
mom2ntbj is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: