Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
R2-JD
It was all started by Walt Disney!

Exotic Driving Experience

During our recent trip to Walt Disney World I did the Exotic Driving Experience at the Speedway. In this post I will share my experience for the exotic cars only.

If anybody has any questions I will try to answer them best I can based on my visit.

Legend:
A - Entrance to the Speedway. Check in with the guard
B - Parking
C - Main building
D - Pit lane
E - Observation area to watch people doing laps
F - Starting point
G - Exit area to head back to pits
Red Arrows - Shows where you drive
Green Arrows - Passing area for passing slower cars
Yellow Arrow - Direction the NASCAR's drive (just for reference)

The day I did my drive was Saturday September 22 and I booked the 8:00am time slot for the Ferrari 458 Italia. Luckily there was no rain that morning and it was a great morning to drive. My wife and I drove from the WL and we arrived 30 minutes ahead of time to register.

Upon entering the main building you go to the back corner to sign in. As I pre-paid for mine and filled in all the waiver forms before our trip I quickly got my lanyard and card with my name on it and my USB stick with wrist strap. My wife and I then went into the briefing room and waited for the instructor. As more people arrived they put on a video of the Porsche factory for us to watch until they started.

Just after 8:00 an instructor came in and talked about the cars, showed us a video of the track, talked about what to expect and answered any questions. He also explained how the throttle control the in-car instructor has actually works. It is a box with a dial on that is hooked into the throttle of each car. The instructor can dial up or down the throttle control as he sees fit. So if someone is not listening to instructions he can dial back the throttle. The instructor must let the driver know when the throttle control has been changed, he cannot change it without telling the driver. Plus the dial makes loud clicking noises as it is changed through the settings. Once this training session was done we were told to meet outside by the pit area.

When we got out to the pit area the cars were lined up waiting to be driven. On this day they were using the the black Ferrari (the red one was out for service), the Lamborghini Gallardo Superlegarra (the regular Gallardo was missing), the Audi R8, and the Porsche. One plus side to being the first group out was that they let us look around and in the cars and take pictures of them (I'll show them in the next part).

We were then told the order we would be driving and they took two pictures of each of us with the car we were driving. One standing by it and one seated in it with the drivers doors opened. These of course are available for purchase after. After that they also told us we would need to wait a bit longer as parts of the inner track were still a little damp. So at this time they brought out a group of people that paid to do the NASCAR thrill rides. After this was done the instructors took the cars out to check the inner track and it was ready.

The first group went out and did their laps and then I was called up to get a helmet. I went over to the car climbed in and met my instructor David. David was a very nice guy and funny. He took my USB drive and plugged it into a device. He then asked if I wanted to drive in automatic or using the paddles. Of course I chose the paddle shifters. I jokingly asked if we could put it into launch mode (I already knew the answer was no). He laughed and told me that it actually voids the warranty of the car after 3 uses. All the cars are driven with full assist mode on so you can't switch to track or race mode. But even with full driver assists on I did at one point make the back end kick out a bit on one lap.

When you start out of the pit the throttle control is set at 40% and you need to put the pedal almost to the floor to get going. You will then pull out onto the track and come to a stop at point F on the map. The instructor then turns the throttle control to 100% full and we were off. As there were no other cars on the track we didn't have to wait. The first lap the instructor tells you to take it slow to get used to the car and track. He gets you associated with the markers and cones on the track used for braking and turns.

Once you get through the inner track the first time things start to pick up. I turned the corner back onto the main track and entered the banked corner in fourth, David told me to hold steady, even though I wanted to give it some more through the corner, then he told me to floor it. Holy crap can the Ferrari accelerate!!!! And the sound is amazing!!! I was pushed back into my seat and whooping all the way up to 6th gear (it has 7) then back on the brakes really hard. David said I braked a little too early which is what people are normally used to when they drive. So the next time he told me to wait until he said to hit the brakes and when I did he wanted me to bury the pedal. So we went through the inner track (which afterwards I wish I had been more aggressive with this part) and we hit the outer oval and went even faster than the last time. I held off the brake until he said (even though my brain said HIT THE BRAKE) and we came into the corner fast and slowed down really hard. I felt myself leave my seat and push into my seatbelt hard. It was awesome. Once I was used to that my speed kept climbing and on my last lap (which he gave me a bonus extra lap) I hit 119mph. I wanted to go faster but with him keeping me at a set pace on the banked corner before I punched it on the straight away I couldn't get it any higher. Still 119 mph in a Ferarri in the relatively small amount of space I did it in was pretty awesome.

The best part of my whole time on the track was for some reason the other cars were delayed in getting going so I had the whole track to myself the whole time. Two other cars just started their run as I was leaving the track. I didn't have to deal with any slow drivers. I am glad this happened as there were some slow drivers when I watched the other cars go around the track after I was done.

When you are done the instructor has you leave the track at point G on the map and at this point he dials the throttle control back down to 40% which felt like a crawl after the speed I was doing. When we came to a stop David told me I did a good job. A really good job. Thanks David!!! I got out of the car so full of adrenaline I wanted to do more laps(you can purchase more in two lap increments and you can do them in any car). My wife told me its more laps or the video and as I wanted the video I took the video.

When you head back into the building they show you a sample of the video of the drive and the pictures they took of you before you drive. You can buy the pictures in a cool wall plaque or on their own in cardboard holders. I bought the video and my two pictures.

Before we left I went out to the observation area to watch some cars do laps then we left. I was on a high the whole day! I kept telling my wife "I DROVE A FERRARI!" and she kept saying "Yes dear I know".

I had a blast and for me it was worth it all! The Ferrari was my one and only choice out of all the cars there and I would do it again given the chance! As I love exotic cars and drool as I watch Top Gear(the UK version) this is the closest you can get to see what car's like these are like. Unless you can afford one. Come on lotto numbers!!!

Thanks for reading my short version (it was longer). Below are some pics of the cars. If you are on the fence hopefully this will push you off and into the driver's seat.

JD
2013(Sept) WDW Wilderness Lodge

Last edited by R2-JD; 10-20-2012 at 07:54 PM.
R2-JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
R2-JD

Here are some pics of the cars available that day.

Ferrari 458 Italia

Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera LP570-4

Audi R8

Porsche 997S

The two cars missing were the red Ferrari 458 Italia that was out for service. I was told they had to buy two Ferrari's as they were the most popular car. The other car missing is the yellow Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4.

Last edited by R2-JD; 10-13-2012 at 10:14 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2012, 12:40 AM   #3
KJMAX1
DIS Veteran

Super jealous...Id take the Porsche!

KJMAX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:49 AM   #4
BigMommaMouse
Mouseketeer

I wold love to do that.
BigMommaMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:05 AM   #5
Angrypenguin
Disney n00b!

Fantastic! I'm definitely signing up our next trip down there. Although I can't decide between the 458 or the R8 (I'm an Audi guy )

Wedding pics here, here, and here

Disney World pictures here and here and here

My flickr: www.flickr.com/kevinkyen
Angrypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
R2-JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMAX1 View Post
Super jealous...Id take the Porsche!
Six laps in the Porsche is only $169 + $35 insurance fee and tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrypenguin View Post
Fantastic! I'm definitely signing up our next trip down there. Although I can't decide between the 458 or the R8 (I'm an Audi guy )
Well you could do both. Take the Audi R8 for 6 laps and do the extra 2 lap package in the 458. Although you won't get to see what the 458 can do in two short laps. And the 458 is awesome.

IMO I would say 458 all the way but everyone has there own favourites. I wish they had the Lamborghini Aventador as a choice (I plan on driving that one next time we go to Vegas).

JD
Old 11-11-2012, 01:45 AM   #7
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing your experience! Every trip we do an "extra activity" and I think I will have to book this for DH! He would love it!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
mslhb
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the review! I got my DH all signed up for it on December 5th and he is super pumped!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
Chickkypoo
DIS Veteran

Hi JD,

I booked this experience in the regular Lamborgini for December 11th as a Birthday present

Can you tell me roughly how much the pictures and the video are?

Thanks!

Walt Disney World: Jan. 1987, Feb.2001, Nov. 2004, Sept./Oct. 2005, Nov. 2007, Nov. 2008, Nov. 2009, Dec. 2010/Jan. 2011, June 2011, June 2012, Dec. 2012, May 2013, May 2014, Sept. 2014, Nov. 2014
Disneyland: May 2008, Sept. 2010
Disneyland Paris: July 2008
Aulani: Nov. 2013
Hong Kong Disneyland and Tokyo Disney April 2015!
Disney Resorts I have stayed at: ASSp, ASMu, ASMo, POP, CSR, AKV-Jambo, AKV-Kidani, SSR, VWL, BCV, OKW, BLT, CBR, GCV, Sequoia Lodge (Paris), Aulani

Proud DVC Owner - The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Chickkypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
Viator80
Mouseketeer

Just FYI for anyone interested. I got this email about my February reservation last week:

I spoke with my manager about why the classes have been changed. Heres a brief run down&

Starting in January we will be introducing two new cars into our Exotics fleet: the Aston Martin Vantage and the Nissan GT. The two new cars will be rotating throughout the year with the Audi and the Porsche. Unfortunately, when you booked Jeff, we didnt know which location these cars would be at. With that being said, we will need to switch Jeff to a different car because the Audi will not be in Disney on the date chosen. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. The equivalent to the Audi is the Aston Martin [price wise].

The two new cars will be launched on the website on Monday. You will be able to see the cars and all their notes then. I have been put in charge of switching the few who are booked, Jeff included, to other cars. I will reach out to you on Monday as well but I just wanted to give you the heads up today.

Please dont hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you for your patience and I will definitely be in touch on Monday to get this sorted out.
Viator80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #11
karebear06
DIS Veteran

Are there any extra discounts for dvc members or annual passholders?
karebear06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #12
R2-JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinysparklybubbles View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience! Every trip we do an "extra activity" and I think I will have to book this for DH! He would love it!
It is a fun experience from beginning to end and I think he will love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslhb View Post
Thanks for the review! I got my DH all signed up for it on December 5th and he is super pumped!
Awesome. Which car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickkypoo View Post
Hi JD,

I booked this experience in the regular Lamborgini for December 11th as a Birthday present

Can you tell me roughly how much the pictures and the video are?

Thanks!
I looked for my receipt and can't find it but I think the video was $89 and the pictures were around $20 each. I just got one of each photo (they take two: one of you sitting in the drivers seat and one standing next to the car) in a simple card stock frame. You can also get a real nice wall plaque that holds both photos for $69. The video comes on a USB flash drive and also has software on it that will show all the telemetry of your driving for each lap. The software is for windows and the site that does the software is working on a Mac version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viator80 View Post
Just FYI for anyone interested. I got this email about my February reservation last week:

I spoke with my manager about why the classes have been changed. Heres a brief run down&

Starting in January we will be introducing two new cars into our Exotics fleet: the Aston Martin Vantage and the Nissan GT. The two new cars will be rotating throughout the year with the Audi and the Porsche. Unfortunately, when you booked Jeff, we didnt know which location these cars would be at. With that being said, we will need to switch Jeff to a different car because the Audi will not be in Disney on the date chosen. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. The equivalent to the Audi is the Aston Martin [price wise].

The two new cars will be launched on the website on Monday. You will be able to see the cars and all their notes then. I have been put in charge of switching the few who are booked, Jeff included, to other cars. I will reach out to you on Monday as well but I just wanted to give you the heads up today.

Please dont hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you for your patience and I will definitely be in touch on Monday to get this sorted out.
I forgot to thank you for posting this information Viator80 in your thread, this is great news! I am guessing they will be swapping cars between the Disney World Speedway and the Daytona Speedway. I was told from one of the drivers I was talking to that they also go on the road to different cities that have race tracks but I think they only offer the Thrill Rides for those

The Nissan GT-R and the Austin Vantage are two nice cars.

The Nissan GT-R is a high tech 3.8L V6 Twin Turbo all wheel drive with 545hp (depending on model year). Approx top speed 195mph and 0-60 in 3.8 sec without launch mode. This would be a lot of fun to drive!

Aston Martin Vantage

Beautiful car! My guess is they might get the V8 version but it would be nice if it was a V12.

Both are cars I would like to drive and I hope they add more (please add the Lamborghini Aventador).

Quote:
Originally Posted by karebear06 View Post
Are there any extra discounts for dvc members or annual passholders?
This I do not know as I am neither a DVC member or an AP. I have read people were getting discounts/extra lap bonus offers from the Disney Visa card. There is also a Disboards discount available.

JD
Old 11-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #13
Chickkypoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2-JD View Post

I looked for my receipt and can't find it but I think the video was $89 and the pictures were around $20 each. I just got one of each photo (they take two: one of you sitting in the drivers seat and one standing next to the car) in a simple card stock frame. You can also get a real nice wall plaque that holds both photos for $69. The video comes on a USB flash drive and also has software on it that will show all the telemetry of your driving for each lap. The software is for windows and the site that does the software is working on a Mac version.
Thanks JD! I think he'll definitely get at least the 2 pictures for sure! I can't wait to see his face that day!

Walt Disney World: Jan. 1987, Feb.2001, Nov. 2004, Sept./Oct. 2005, Nov. 2007, Nov. 2008, Nov. 2009, Dec. 2010/Jan. 2011, June 2011, June 2012, Dec. 2012, May 2013, May 2014, Sept. 2014, Nov. 2014
Disneyland: May 2008, Sept. 2010
Disneyland Paris: July 2008
Aulani: Nov. 2013
Hong Kong Disneyland and Tokyo Disney April 2015!
Disney Resorts I have stayed at: ASSp, ASMu, ASMo, POP, CSR, AKV-Jambo, AKV-Kidani, SSR, VWL, BCV, OKW, BLT, CBR, GCV, Sequoia Lodge (Paris), Aulani

Proud DVC Owner - The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Chickkypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #14
R2-JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickkypoo View Post
Thanks JD! I think he'll definitely get at least the 2 pictures for sure! I can't wait to see his face that day!
You're welcome. Definitely an awesome birthday gift! I have an idea your DH will be grinning from ear to ear the whole day. Please post how it went when you get back.

Remember, you can sit in the classroom training session with your DH. Also once he is in the car and drives out of the pit area(D on the map in my first post), you should quickly head over to the viewing area(E on the map). This way you won't miss a single lap. My DW recorded me leaving the pit area, ran over to video all of my laps then quickly went back to record me getting out of the car. One of these days I am going to edit them all together.

JD
Old 11-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #15
BWVNUT
Growing Older is Mandatory; Growing Up is Optional ;-)

Can anyone tell me if height is a problem for any of these cars? I would like to get this for my son for when we go down in January. He's 6'2", most of his 'height' is in his legs...do you think there would be any problem fitting in?

Thanks!

Nov 78; Nov 79; April 86 (CA); Nov 88; April 98; April 99; June 05 POFQ; Feb 06 BWV; July 06 BWV; Oct 06 OKW; Feb 07 BWV; April 07 BWV; Oct 07 BCV; Dec 07 BWV; Feb 08 BWV; July 08 BWV; Aug/Sept 08 ASMu Castle Suite Tour!!; Feb 09 VWL/BWV; Sept 09 BWV; Dec 09 BWV and GF; Feb 10 BWV; Sept 10 AKV Kidani; April 11 AKV Jambo; Sept 12 BWV; Jan 13 Offsite; July 13 DCL Dream; Nov 13 AKV Kidani
BWVNUT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: