Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
Tinijocaro
DIS Veteran

Parent Teacher Conference WWYD?

At Open House for my 5th grade dd, teacher told me and another parent that if we knew our child was doing well and there were no issues, we could forego the conference since we probably didn't want to have to just listen to her tell us how wonderful our kids were-we already knew that. I went over to the sign up sheets and signed up for a conference anyways.

Today, I got the following email from the teacher. A couple other moms got it too.

"Good Morning,
I wanted to touch base with you regarding the Parent/Teacher Conference you signed up for. As I mentioned at Open House, I am not trying to discourage any parent from meeting with me, but as a parent of a very successful student, I found it frustrating to make all the arrangements for a 15 min meeting where the teacher told me my child was great.

I am letting you know that your dd is doing very well so far this year, working at grade level and at the high end of grade level. Unless you have any concerns, I really don't have anything to discuss at our conference.

Please let me know if you would like to meet, or if a phone conversation would work better for you. Thank you, by the way, for raising such a kind and wonderful daughter - she is a pleasure to have in class!

Mrs. Teacher
Pleasant Valley Elementary School"

What are your thoughts? Discuss.
Tinijocaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

I think that a teacher's job includes knowing her students well enough to be able to discuss all of them, and that the email isn't acceptable.

I'd probably write back and say something along the lines of "I appreciate your offer, and needless to say I'm pleased that she's doing so well. However, I believe that a strong home-school connection has been a key to her success, and therefore I'm looking forward to a chance to see some work samples and hear about how you intend to challenge her this year. I look forward to seeing you on (date) at (time)."
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
I think that a teacher's job includes knowing her students well enough to be able to discuss all of them, and that the email isn't acceptable.

I'd probably write back and say something along the lines of "I appreciate your offer, and needless to say I'm pleased that she's doing so well. However, I believe that a strong home-school connection has been a key to her success, and therefore I'm looking forward to a chance to see some work samples and hear about how you intend to challenge her this year. I look forward to seeing you on (date) at (time)."
: Me thinks the would rather be at home doing this instead of her job.

I usually do not tattle, but I wonder if the principal is aware of this teacher's policy and agrees with it.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:00 AM   #4
Kathi OD
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the nevermind we know what was thereRedhead
Guess what - Doesn't like the cheese soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker'n'Fun View Post
Even if they would rather be at home doing instead of her job, it probably won't be happening. In every school I've taught in, we were required to be in school for a specific time frame. This year it is 12:30pm to 4pm and then again from 6pm to 8:30pm for 2 days. Believe me, some years, depending on the class, that is not enough time. Every year, there is always at least one parent/child who needs more than 15 minutes.

Quote:
I usually do not tattle, but I wonder if the principal is aware of this teacher's policy and agrees with it.
Again, based on personal experience, my guess would be that the principal is well aware of the teacher's policy. In fact, the principal may have been the one who suggested it.

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis
Kathi OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:04 AM   #5
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi OD View Post
Even if they would rather be at home doing instead of her job, it probably won't be happening. In every school I've taught in, we were required to be in school for a specific time frame. This year it is 12:30pm to 4pm and then again from 6pm to 8:30pm for 2 days. .
I wish they had hours like that in our school- our conferences run the dame as a regular school days- last one is at 3pm which would be the end ofthe school day so if you work you either take off or don't go. They never have them at night.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:12 AM   #6
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

I have 3 kids, they all do very well in school. I never saw a need to have a parent conference with the teachers. I saw it as wasting their time. They need to spend their time with the parents of kid who are having a difficult time.

If I want to meet and get to know the teacher I go to the open house at the first of the year, I also can volunteer. I don't need a relationship with her as long as she is teaching my child. This is one of the few areas where I don't overly involve myself.

To me, to demand otherwise is taking away time that could be spent on kids and parents that may really need some help. In other words, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

ETA, One in middles school, I stopped going to open house as well. No need to go there, we met the teachers at orientation.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #7
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
I wish they had hours like that in our school- our conferences run the dame as a regular school days- last one is at 3pm which would be the end ofthe school day so if you work you either take off or don't go. They never have them at night.
Ours too. Hours are 8-3 on election day (school is closed, but most people are working) and 1:00-3:00 the next day (half day of school.) Very challenging for parents who work. (And equally challenging for teachers who have to accommodate a lot of working parents.)
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #8
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:

There is no reason for the parent of a child that is doing well and has been told by the teacher that their child is doing well to go to a conference. You post is an insult to teachers.

Teachers hope to use the time alloted to parent-teacher conference to discuss options with parents of children who are struggling not simply heap praise on parents of children who are doing fine.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
DVCLiz
That's me - proud defender of the Mega roll
click here to use the trolldar
We saw "I pooted" and thought it was a "New York" thing!

I would have been pleased to hear that from the teacher and I would happily skip the conference. Most of the ones I went to were the same kind - unless I had a real concern I'd stay home.
DVCLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #10
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCLiz View Post
I would have been pleased to hear that from the teacher and I would happily skip the conference. Most of the ones I went to were the same kind - unless I had a real concern I'd stay home.

I totally agree! She has told you your child is doing great and is above grade level. What else do you want her to tell you. Do you really need anymore "atta girls" you did a great job with your DD? Why not let the teacher use your minutes for a student who really needs help and problems to discuss with their parents.

I used to walk into my DD's conferences and say "are you going to say anything different than she is a great student, needs to not talk so much, write neater and keep her desk neater, let me know, other wise we can save each other time and you can go take a bathroom break!"

Most took me up on it.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #11
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What are your thoughts? Discuss.
If this were me and my child, I would be quite happy to not have to go. I don't need to see the teacher in person to tell me how good my child is. I already know that. It would be a waste of my time and theirs. If the teacher had something specifically she wanted to discuss or if I had a concern, that would be different.

My advice to you is to go if you want to. If you have a concern you need to address, then tell the teacher you want to meet with her. If you just want the teacher to tell you how great your child is in person, I don't see the point.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #12
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

As someone who has a child in 9th grade and has not had a teacher conference since the child has been in school, I would appreciate the email and not worry about it.

IMO, conferences are more of a time to sit and dicuss problems, not tell someone how great their kid is doing. And even then, some problems can be handled through email.

When younger ds was in school we had a lot of conferences because of his ADHD, the last one was when he was in the 9th grade. But, if there are no issues to discuss, I don't see why you would want to waste your time and her's.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
clm10308
DIS Veteran

Our current disrtict only does organized conferences for elem/mid school. I think the HS teachers have professional development on conference day. The HS has yearly "Next Step" meetings with the counselor were the counselor and student discuss progress toward graduation, college, and future goals past High School. Theses are scheduled on an individual basis not on any specific day, and I did attend my DDs this year.

Also, our conferences are not parent-teacher conferences. They are Student Led conferences where the student has an agenda and leads the conference. The teacher does not even sit with us untl the end of the conference to answer any questions. I would guess that younger kids get a little more help in running the conference, but by the 2nd conference last year my son did fine following the agenda and that was his first year at this school. The student reviews test scores, grades, goals for the year (personal goals), how they can improve at school, and how parents can help at home.

I did think this type of conference was strange at first, but I can see how this does make the child more responsible for their own education and does build skills for the "real world". I never would have imagined that this little school district would be so progressive compared to what I am reading here.
clm10308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #14
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I think that she is trying to open up more time to meet with the parents whose kids need more help and intervention. Give yourself a nice pat on the back that's not you.
We are always told this from day 1. Conferences are only for parents/teachers that have concerns about a student. If there are no concerns, no conference is necessary. I love it, as a parent. No need to find someone to watch my kids for 15 minutes while I talk to a teacher about something I already know.

I think it's a waste of time on both sides to schedule one when there is nothing to discuss. Save it for the kids who really need it..

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #15
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota! View Post
We are always told this from day 1. Conferences are only for parents/teachers that have concerns about a student. If there are no concerns, no conference is necessary. I love it, as a parent. No need to find someone to watch my kids for 15 minutes while I talk to a teacher about something I already know.

I think it's a waste of time on both sides to schedule one when there is nothing to discuss. Save it for the kids who really need it..
There is always something to discuss imo. Just because a child gets good grades and is well behaved doesn't mean the parents don't have other questions. Every kid "really" needs it imo. Not just kids who are struggling. 15 minutes isn't going to take away from a child who is struggling just like their 15 minutes isn't going to take away from another child. JMHO.
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Mouse House Mama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: