Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
DisneyClown
DIS Veteran

Question about packing medications in carryon luggage...

My Mother is traveling with us and was wondering if she can put her pills in her case she uses to divvy up her pills for each day, or should she leave them in their respective prescription bottles until we get to Disney? We are flying Southwest out of Chicago Midway. Anyone know?

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one person, you just may be the world."

Disneyland-'93 and '95~~~~~Wilderness Lodge-May '07 Honeymoon~~~~~Pop Century June-July '10~~~~~~Port Orleans Riverside Dec 2012
DisneyClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
chamonix

Are we there yet?

She can divvy them up no problem.
Star Wars Weekends June 2011 Polynesian

December 2010 Beach Club
Star Wars Weekends June 2010 Polynesian
~Tiki fest summer 2009~ Polynesian
Ho’omahana summer 2008 Polynesian
~Tiki fest summer 2007~ Polynesian
March 2007 Polynesian March 2006 Polynesian
October 2005 Polynesian
October 2004, March 2004 Polynesian
December 2003, December 2002 Polynesian

Disneyland Hotel 2001
chamonix is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
jsilvers
DIS Veteran

The most recent guidance on the TSA web site appears to be:
Medication is ok to place in your carry-on or checked luggage in any form. From our web page: "All medications in any form or type (for instance, pills, injectables, or homeopathic) and associated supplies (syringes, Sharps disposal container, pre-loaded syringes, jet injectors, pens, infusers, etc.) are allowed through the security checkpoint once they have been screened. Atropens, an auto-injection system that can help treat many emergency conditions (low heart rate, breathing problems, and excess saliva related to insecticide, nerve gas or mushroom poisoning) are also allowed. We do not require that your medications be labeled."
See http://blog.tsa.gov/2011/08/travelin...edication.html. (Note that the quotation is a cross-reference to another TSA web page, which no longer appears to exist.)
Walt Disney World – 5/02 (CBR), 12/03 (CSR), 9/04 (WL), 9/05 (WL), 2/06 (CR), 8/06 (CSR), 10/06 (POR), 1/07 (WL), 10/07 (Poly), 1/08 (POFQ), 5/08 (WL), 10/08 (WL), 1/09 (WL), 5/09 (BC), 7/09 (WL), 10/09 (WL), 1/10 (WL), 4/10 (Pop), 5/11 (WL), 8/11 (CR), 12/11 (CR), 4/12 (YC), 1/13 (Poly), 3/13 (Pop), 5/13 (BWV), 9/13 (WL), 12/13 (Poly), 8/14 (CR), 10/14 (YC)
Tokyo Disney Resort – 6/07, 8/07, 11/07, 3/08, 7/08, 10/08, 6/09, 10/09, 12/09, 1/10, 4/10, 11/12 (Ambassador)
Disney Cruise Line – 10/07 (Wonder-PC to Nassau/CC), 8/12 (Magic-NY to Nowhere)
Disneyland – 3/05, 10/11 (GC), 10/13 (GC/ABD-Backstage Magic)
jsilvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

As mentioned, you're fine as long as travel is within the US. Now, you might have a problem if you cross international borders. That might be a Customs problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
LadyBeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
As mentioned, you're fine as long as travel is within the US. Now, you might have a problem if you cross international borders. That might be a Customs problem.
A transplant patient friend of mine takes her MASSIVE box 'o drugs with her and hasn't had a problem with Mexico, at least. Dh hasn't had a problem with any country he's gone to (tiny box of drugs), and he's been to many.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:21 AM   #6
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

We always put our meds in weekly pill reminders and they have never even received a second look. TSA is there for security, not drug enforcement.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
Normally not an issue with international travel either, with the exception of a select few countries (Australia, Japan).
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

I've traveled by air many times with medications in a divided-up pillbox. I've never had a problem within the US.

I was told by my TA to leave meds in their original containers when going on a cruise, though.

(Exact trip dates a work-in-progress!)
dawnhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyClown
My Mother is traveling with us and was wondering if she can put her pills in her case she uses to divvy up her pills for each day, or should she leave them in their respective prescription bottles until we get to Disney? We are flying Southwest out of Chicago Midway. Anyone know?
And I would say it would depend on the 'type' of mediciation. If it is considered a 'controlled substance' then I definitely would leave it in its original container. Personally, I think it's best it have the bottles along for any of the scripts just in case or my best suggestion would be to sort them when you arrive. But to each his or her own. You also have to think about the destination state's laws (not just TSA's) when travelling regarding prescription medication. Some states require it to be kept in the original bottle when out & about like that. It's much different than at home. Safe travels to you and your family!!

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnhaze View Post
I've traveled by air many times with medications in a divided-up pillbox. I've never had a problem within the US.

I was told by my TA to leave meds in their original containers when going on a cruise, though.
I have never had a problem on a cruise. Most cruise lines contract security - they are looking for weapons, candles, irons and booze, not meds.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
DisneyClown
DIS Veteran

Thanks to all who replied!!! My Mom's meds are for diabetes, high blood pressure, and cholesterol. She only takes pills, no injections. I figured it was ok, but had read about the whole every state has different requirements thing so wanted to see if it really was a big deal. Sounds like she'll be ok, but I know she will take the bottles along.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one person, you just may be the world."

Disneyland-'93 and '95~~~~~Wilderness Lodge-May '07 Honeymoon~~~~~Pop Century June-July '10~~~~~~Port Orleans Riverside Dec 2012
DisneyClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #12
lylone
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them

Pills are fine divided up. All my heart pills and boyfriends pills have never been an issue. Now zanax I carry in its script bottle only because they can be questionable. Any liquid meds must be declared at the checkpoont and should be labeled with a script.
Going out of the country they must be in there respectibe bottles. We went to Mexico this year and none of ours were questioned. Boyfriend's carry ons were checked but they just looked at contents and didnt even touch the bottles.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #13
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylone View Post
Going out of the country they must be in there respectibe bottles. We went to Mexico this year and none of ours were questioned. Boyfriend's carry ons were checked but they just looked at contents and didnt even touch the bottles.
No, prescription meds do not have to be in original bottles for travel to most countries, as already mentioned.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:01 PM   #14
mickey1968
Mouseketeer

I divide mine up but also have them all written out on an index card that is in my toiletries kit. Just in case.

May 2014 - Pop Century, F&G and SWW • Oct./Nov. 2013 - PORS, MNSSHP and F&W • Oct./Nov. 2012 - Pop Century, MNSSHP and F&W • May 2012 - Pop Century, SWW, F&G • Nov. 2011 - POFQ, MVMCP • June 2002 - off-site/conference • 1990s - several trips staying off-site; Uni 2x • 1991 - WDW College Program (Spring) • 1985 - First trip with parents at age 16 or 17

mickey1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #15
lylone
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace

No, prescription meds do not have to be in original bottles for travel to most countries, as already mentioned.
If you fly back from Mexico with more than "normal usage" in your bag....you can be detained by customs. Purchasing zanax, antiobiotics and other perscription drugs in a foreign country and bringing them back into the states is prohibited. I saw many signs or maybe it was on the customs form about it.
You can take chances.....
But, I would carry the bottles rather than being accused of bringing drugs back into the states.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: