Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

Adult Birthday Gifts that dont break the budget

What are some great Birthday gifts to buy for adults, that your not really close to but that are nice but inexpensive. I need 3 Bday gifts for 1 female and 2 males(one is 18 the other 40). I know what to buy close family members or friends but not people that I'm not really close to or dont really know but i need gifts to take to the party.

This month has so many Bdays. It will cost me 6 gifts

Gifts for female adult?????

Gifts for male adult 18 and 40yrs old???

BTW gifts other than money and giftcards and inexpensive but nice
Old 10-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamin_disney View Post
What are some great Birthday gifts to buy for adults, that your not really close to but that are nice but inexpensive. I need 3 Bday gifts for 1 female and 2 males(one is 18 the other 40). I know what to buy close family members or friends but not people that I'm not really close to or dont really know but i need gifts to take to the party.

This month has so many Bdays. It will cost me 6 gifts

Gifts for female adult?????

Gifts for male adult 18 and 40yrs old???

BTW gifts other than money and giftcards and inexpensive but nice
Bottle of wine? Not for the 18 y/o of course!
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2012, 12:31 AM   #3
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

Can't go wrong with wine...unless they don't drink.

Candles for the girls?

What do you consider inexpensive?

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:05 AM   #4
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

I like to do gift baskets, collections of things they can use.

Female: spa type things or things to pamper herself in the shower with

Guys: tools???

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:53 AM   #5
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

This year for Christmas I'm seriously considering making "grilling" baskets for most of the men in my life. I'll probably seek out some gourmet type BBQ sauces, rubs, marinades, etc, throw in some utensils, and figure out a creative way to wrap them together.
Most of the men I know hardly ever cook, but they're very serious about their grilling.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
timmac
DIS Veteran

Going to agree with a PP... unless you know they don't drink, it's hard to go wrong with booze
timmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
jacksmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceintherain View Post
This year for Christmas I'm seriously considering making "grilling" baskets for most of the men in my life. I'll probably seek out some gourmet type BBQ sauces, rubs, marinades, etc, throw in some utensils, and figure out a creative way to wrap them together.
Most of the men I know hardly ever cook, but they're very serious about their grilling.
I love this idea! I bought some grillin utensils 70% off at Target a few weeks ago and would love to make them into a basket with some added grillin sauces as a Christmas gift! Just not sure how to package it?
Old 10-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
ceecee
DIS Veteran

Since you don't know them, I wouldn't buy alcohol...a lot of people don't drink. Why do you need to get adults a gift? The parties we go to for adults don't usually give gifts.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #9
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

I only know one of the people celebrating my relative was married to them but they've been divorced for years. I havent seen this person in 20 years. The 2nd person is a cousin i never meet but he is related to the first person i mentioned. The 3rd person and 4th person i've never meet but are connected to the 1st person i mentioned.

I was reconnect to the 1st person by FB. I really dont know any of their likes but i thought it would be nice to be reunited with them. I dont know if they expect gifts for each person or if its a come and have fun.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

Snack bags!

I saw someone do this - she bought gift bags from the dollar store plus packages of peanuts and boxes of movie theatre type candy there and some pretty paper.

Then she went to the grocery store and added chips that she picked up Buy one, get one free, slim jims basically all kinds of snack type stuff - sweet and savory. She bought everything on sale at Walmart, Target and grocery store.

She filled the bag up, put the pretty paper on top and had a fun gift that wasn't too expensive. She knew when the birthdays were coming up and bought stuff on sale over the course of 2 months.
You don't have that luxury since it's all this month but I bet you could come up with something - the bags don't have to be too big.

I could go in my bathroom and pull lots of bath and body works stuff to fill a dollar store gift bag, add a couple of dollar store puffs and have a few gifts for folks pretty cheap. My husband keeps giving me more and more bath and body works shower gels and it'll be years before I could use them all.
Maybe you have that same problem which you could turn into a nice gift?

And if you know the older folks drink - you can't go wrong with a bottle of wine or vodka if they liked mixed drinks.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I have a birthday to buy for this weekend. I am getting a bottle of her favourite wine and a gift card. Kind of boring but I don't know her tastes well enough to just pick something randomly and I can be assured she like these things.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

You can't go wrong with alcohol, well, of course for the 18 year old. Most 18 year olds that I know want money,.

I like to give gift cards to places I know people like to go, because that is what I would rather have. I don't need more crap I can't/won't use.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
marcemc
I wouldn't be able to handle such fluffliness either

For the girls Bath & Body works always have nice stuff that is not very expensive. I love their antibacterial hand spray.

For the men, I like the grilling basket idea from pp, otherwise, I know you said not gift cards but maybe movie tickets?
Old 10-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #14
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

Can you elaborate on what your budget is per person? The ideas people come up with may be easier if we know your budget is $25 per person, or $50 per person. I consider up to $30 an inexpensive gift (for an adult), and $50 a moderate price point...but others may consider under $75 inexpensive.

For the female, if she likes cooking or baking you can put together a nice little bundle. Perhaps a specialty cooking/baking book (cupcakes are all the rage right now!) and a few tools or supplies that go with the style of the book. For instance, if you got a cupcake book, you could purchase decorative cupcake liners, a nice spatula, maybe fun sprinkles (not Walmart style, but the really gorgeous specialty types), and a pretty dishtowel.

I once got my mother a set of velvet makeup/toiletry bags from Pottery Barn that could be monogrammed.

A decorative neck scarf or casual jewelry.

A nice collection of gourmet tea bags (or loose leaf tea with the accessories needed). Almost everyone drinks tea.

A pretty throw could go over nicely.

She may also appreciate a collection of specialty cooking spices & salts, like Pink Himalayan Sea Salt, etc.

Definitely stay away from anything scented (like beauty products) because everyone has different preferences.

...For the men, that is more difficult.

Either of them may like some sort of all-in-one tool that does...cool stuff. lol

My husband already had flashlights, but he was ecstatic when I bought him 1 large and 1 tiny Magnalite with LED lights rather than the normal bulb flashlights. I got them at Costco last year for about $25 I think. There are also neat flashlights called Gorillatorch flexible tripod flashlights that are awesome! Could be great gifts for either.

The older man probably grills, so you could do a few different dry rubs. Or several different BBQ sauces, both of those usually are hits with men.

Again, for the older man, specialty beer would be good if you happen to know he likes beer.

For the 18 year old, pretty much anything from ThinkGeek.com would be perfect. lol

So, on the beer related note, I just found a bottle opener with cap catcher for $10 online. It catches the caps when you open it.

If the older one likes wine, I think you can even buy little mini bottles in a collection as a wine flight. That might be fun...maybe the woman would like that also.

Me-29: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #15
okw2012
Mouseketeer

Games make great gifts! I like to buy a simple card game I find fun to play, say Jungle Speed, Werewolves or Bohnanza. All about 15$. The trick is to make sure you know the rules well and introduce them to the game by offering to play with them. May work better for younger men/families. I also like to offer time/help for home improvement projects. Works well with women!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: