Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
Dis_Grk Grl
Earning My Ears

Disney VS Carnival = Disney wins for us!

We have sailed Disney twice before (both times on the Wonder), and just got back from our first cruise with Carnival (on the carnival dream).

I went into this cruise with an open mind, knowing that it would be different from Disney, and trying not to compare. But I must say, in the end, I will stick with Disney for our family.

The Carnival Dream was a nice ship, and waterslides were really fun, but it was lacking that extra touch/charm that a Disney ship has.

My 5yr old went the the kids club on multiple occasions and had a fun time there. They had jungle and pirate nights, lots of toys to play with, they made a puppet too. But the funny thing was that each time I'd go to pick him up in the evening, the kids would all be parked in front of the movie screen watching something. My 2yr old also wanted to go to the club (they allow 2yr olds in Carnival's club), but as soon as she couldn't see me she got upset and would not stop crying for us. Thankfully they have the phone system on Carnival too, and they called us to come get her after trying to calm her and settle her in. (we did see them try to settle her on one occasion as they have a video monitor just out side of the kids room, so I know that they were trying).
Disney's play room is larger, and they do have the option to go between the lab and the club if they like. On carnival they had to stay in their age groups room.
I'd say they were even as far as my son's fun level went, but Disney did seem to have a bit more to do as far as options.

Dining: Hands down, Disney wins with this one!
The Carnival dining rooms are nice, and we had a few really nice servers (we had anytime dining, so they changed each night), but I find the servers to be more interactive on Disney. Also, it is nice to change dining rooms on Disney. With Carnival you are either in your assigned dining room, or the buffet. (unless you pay for the steakhouse).

Shows: Really didn't care for Carnival's shows. Just song and dance, no real story, and on our sailing the sound was WAY too loud at points and was never fixed throughout the cruise. We went to all the shows for something to do, but I wouldn't go again.
With Disney, I would watch the same shows over and over again, they are such great quality and entertaining!

Those were my main points, but I would be happy to answer any questions about comparing the two, if anyone has any
Dis_Grk Grl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
disneysunshine85
Mouseketeer

I am in the same boat... No pun intended . I am going on my first Disney cruise this dec and I know it is going to be amazing. I am also going on a carnival cruise this coming jan. I am going to try to go into the carnival cruise with an open mind and try not to compare bec honestly there will be NO comparison but I am going to take carnival for what it is... Any vacation is a vacation!
disneysunshine85 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

I've only sailed with Disney, but I'm not sure if I want to try other lines. I keep hearing mixed things
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
slg4crzn
Mouseketeer

Disney Cruise line is in its own category that's for sure. I LOVE the Disney ships and I am a Disney fanatic having an annual pass to both California and Florida Disney parks. I have gone on many Carnival cruises with my college age kids because of prices. Never have regretted it and enjoyed the low cost and the Fun! Means more vacations. But I am SO excited for our "not inexpensive" cruise on the Fantasy for NYE.
slg4crzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
Tinkerbell2B
Mouseketeer

I totally agree! There is no comparison between Carnival and Disney. Then again, you are going to pay a lot more for DCL. I cruised on Carnival Magic when it was about 6 months old. Yes, it was nice, but it wasn't a Disney ship! If I have the funds to sail DCL, it will be the one I choose every time! I am so glad that when I was on the Carnival cruise, we weren't in port with any DCL ships! I would have traded ships in a second!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
SucalT
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell2B View Post
I totally agree! There is no comparison between Carnival and Disney. Then again, you are going to pay a lot more for DCL. I cruised on Carnival Magic when it was about 6 months old. Yes, it was nice, but it wasn't a Disney ship! If I have the funds to sail DCL, it will be the one I choose every time! I am so glad that when I was on the Carnival cruise, we weren't in port with any DCL ships! I would have traded ships in a second!
In two weeks we are sailing the Carnival Triumph 5 night. We will be in Cozumel with the Disney Magic. Normally, I would be sad knowing that I would be able to see the Magic the whole way back to Galveston from Cozumel, except once we get back to Galveston, we are walking down the pier from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 and boarding the Magic!

We are very excited!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
Tinkerbell2B
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SucalT View Post
In two weeks we are sailing the Carnival Triumph 5 night. We will be in Cozumel with the Disney Magic. Normally, I would be sad knowing that I would be able to see the Magic the whole way back to Galveston from Cozumel, except once we get back to Galveston, we are walking down the pier from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 and boarding the Magic!

We are very excited!
At least you are saving the best for last!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
angelinaxox
Mouseketeer

I cruise a lot and have been on Carnival, RCCL, Celebrity, Princess, NCL and Disney. I like all for different reasons and I choose a cruiseline based on itinerary, ship, and cost. You can't get the Disney experience on the other lines, so I never compare them to Disney, only to each other as comparing them to Disney is like comparing apples to oranges. So I have no problems picking a different line over DCL because I know it won't be a Disney experience. I could never limit myself to just one line as there are so many itineraries and ships I want to experience. When I did my Alaska, Hawaii and European cruises, Disney did not sail there. But to be honest, I wouldn't pick Disney for those itineraries as I think I would get more wrapped up in the Disney stuff versus enjoying the places I was visiting. But that is just me.
angelinaxox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
jm0925
Earning My Ears

Its good to know Carnival is nice for what it is. We may go on a Carnival cruise next year. I haven't been on a DCL cruise yet, but since they started sailing from Miami, its been awfully tempting to book one! However the cost is just really up there for my family.

We actually went on our first cruise ever last year with Norwegian Cruise Line. It was a short weekend trip to the Bahamas. We just wanted to experience what a cruise was like. We loved it and now unfortunately we have standards for future cruises such as Balcony Rooms are a must! Thank God it is free to just look and dream about the vacation you want but can't afford. I see those DCL Balcony Room prices and then I feel my heart drop. LOL.

But anyways, I know that when we take a DCL cruise, it will be an experience way different from NCL or any other cruise line we may try. Disney for me is in a league of its own by far. They always go above and beyond for everything.

*October 2014 - Halloween with Mickey and Food and Wine at Epcot.*February 2014 - 3 Park Special! Love being a Florida Resident. *Mickey's Halloween Party - October 2013**Seaworld & Aquatica with a little Disney Mixed In - August 2013**Kicking off summer at the Magic Kingdom - May 2013*.*Mickey Christmas Party- December 2012 with a First Time Stay at the All-Star Sports Resort, *Epcot Food and Wine Festival - Nov 2011, *Mickey's Halloween Party - Oct 2011, * Lived in Florida all my life. Many other trips before these.
jm0925 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: